Page 27 of 31

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:31 pm
by Assasindowntheavenue
With this discussion on WUSTL, assuming the improvements to their employment stats are happening/will happen, is it still a bad idea to go if you are biglaw or bust? Specially if you go on a full ride or close to it?

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:36 pm
by Rigo
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:With this discussion on WUSTL, assuming the improvements to their employment stats are happening/will happen, is it still a bad idea to go if you are biglaw or bust? Specially if you go on a full ride or close to it?

If you're biglaw or bust, you shouldn't go to a school where you're more likely to not get biglaw.

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:43 pm
by Assasindowntheavenue
Rigo wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:With this discussion on WUSTL, assuming the improvements to their employment stats are happening/will happen, is it still a bad idea to go if you are biglaw or bust? Specially if you go on a full ride or close to it?

If you're biglaw or bust, you shouldn't go to a school where you're more likely to not get biglaw.


Good point.

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:26 am
by dyingdeclr
Hastings:

LSAT - 156(+1)/159/161
GPA - 3.18(-0.10)/3.44(-0.06)/3.63(-0.01)
Class - 348 (+59)

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:26 am
by Rigo
dyingdeclr wrote:Hastings:
Class - 348 (+59)

:shock:

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:00 pm
by Huskies13!
Arizona Summit:
140/143/148
2.56(+.02)/2.96(+.08)/3.30(-.04)
143 Total (-124)
https://www.azsummitlaw.edu/userfiles/f ... -17-17.pdf

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm
by proteinshake
Huskies13! wrote:Arizona Summit:
140/143/148
2.56(+.02)/2.96(+.08)/3.30(-.04)
143 Total (-124)
https://www.azsummitlaw.edu/userfiles/f ... -17-17.pdf

another 143 to go.

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:05 pm
by cannibal ox
Huskies13! wrote:Arizona Summit:
140/143/148
2.56(+.02)/2.96(+.08)/3.30(-.04)
143 Total (-124)
https://www.azsummitlaw.edu/userfiles/f ... -17-17.pdf


All of these numbers are baffling, including the 143 people who chose to attend.

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:14 pm
by Rigo
They have to be in financial trouble after such a sharp decrease, right?

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:33 pm
by vcap180
proteinshake wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Arizona Summit:
140/143/148
2.56(+.02)/2.96(+.08)/3.30(-.04)
143 Total (-124)
https://www.azsummitlaw.edu/userfiles/f ... -17-17.pdf

another 143 to go.


So 25% of the class scored 139 or below? How much is tuition here? And what's the bar passage rate?

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm
by cannibal ox
vcap180 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Arizona Summit:
140/143/148
2.56(+.02)/2.96(+.08)/3.30(-.04)
143 Total (-124)
https://www.azsummitlaw.edu/userfiles/f ... -17-17.pdf

another 143 to go.


So 25% of the class scored 139 or below? How much is tuition here? And what's the bar passage rate?


No, at least 25% of the incoming class scored a 140 or below.

41.64% first time takers from Arizona Summit passed the (Arizona) bar (24.17% lower rate than the state average)

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm
by Huskies13!
vcap180 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Arizona Summit:
140/143/148
2.56(+.02)/2.96(+.08)/3.30(-.04)
143 Total (-124)
https://www.azsummitlaw.edu/userfiles/f ... -17-17.pdf

another 143 to go.


So 25% of the class scored 139 or below? How much is tuition here? And what's the bar passage rate?


This: http://abovethelaw.com/2016/10/law-scho ... age-rates/

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:03 pm
by magnum_law
Semi-swooped but this article is good too. 30% pass rate in 2015, despite bribing students with $5000 to postpone their exams. Really sketch & pathetic.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... pread_fail

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:17 pm
by goldenbear2020
magnum_law wrote:Semi-swooped but this article is good too. 30% pass rate in 2015, despite bribing students with $5000 to postpone their exams. Really sketch & pathetic.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... pread_fail

Actually, their 30% pass rate likely outperforms statistical expectations given the 140-143-148 quartiles:

"The report categorizes LSAT scores of 147 to 149 as denoting a high risk of bar failure, scores of 145 and 146 as denoting a very high risk of bar failure, and scores of 120 to 144 as denoting an extreme risk of bar failure."

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:39 am
by ooglygoogly
ASU:

158/161/163
3.39/3.63/3.8
Class Size: 230 (+15)

Seems like everything stayed the same besides the class size.

https://www.law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:34 pm
by Huskies13!
ooglygoogly wrote:ASU:

158/161/163
3.39/3.63/3.8
Class Size: 230 (+15)

Seems like everything stayed the same besides the class size.

https://www.law.asu.edu/about/jd-facts-figures


Looks like they were posted too early. They've updated:
158/161/163 (no change)
3.34(-.05)/3.64(+.01)/3.80

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:01 am
by TXguy2016
Does is it scare anyone the rampant grade inflation going on at universities?

Here are copies to old 509's http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/publi ... e-archives

As one example look at Cornel in 2012l: when there were 6,269 applicants the GPA25/50/75 was 3.55/3.65/3.80 .....in 2015 with 3,899 apps the GPA 25/50/75 was 3.62/3.74/3.82......with nearly 2,500 fewer apps you got significantly higher GPA's at the 25/median mark. (this is not just a Cornell thing, I have seen this trend too at other schools where the GPAs of today's decreased applicant pool are higher than when law schools were seeing their heyday of applications.

(and before you say I benefited from the system of today's grade inflation- I did not- my school's grade distribution is similar to a TTT)

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:05 am
by TXguy2016
I personally feel that A's should be handed out very infrequently and only to the best so I find this current trend disturbing......I would hate for the day 10-15 years down the road when a school ranked 10-14 has a 25/50/75 of 3.88/3.95/4.0

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 am
by proteinshake
didn't Cornell have a 168 LSAT median back then? they have a 167 now, so that would explain that - they settled for a slightly lower LSAT to raise their GPA median and be more balanced.

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:07 pm
by goldenbear2020
With the recent declines in high-LSAT applicants, law schools are opting to raise their median GPA by taking more reverse splitters while holding on to median LSAT as much as possible. From 2012 to 2015, Cornell's median GPA went from 3.68 to 3.74 while median LSAT stayed constant at 167, but 25th LSAT dropped from 166 to 164.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/cornell/

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:30 pm
by goldenbear2020
Georgetown: 3.78 (+0.02) / 167
Source: fee waiver e-mail

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:54 pm
by TXguy2016
TXguy2016 wrote:Does is it scare anyone the rampant grade inflation going on at universities?

Here are copies to old 509's http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/publi ... e-archives

As one example look at Cornel in 2012l: when there were 6,269 applicants the GPA25/50/75 was 3.55/3.65/3.80 .....in 2015 with 3,899 apps the GPA 25/50/75 was 3.62/3.74/3.82......with nearly 2,500 fewer apps you got significantly higher GPA's at the 25/median mark. (this is not just a Cornell thing, I have seen this trend too at other schools where the GPAs of today's decreased applicant pool are higher than when law schools were seeing their heyday of applications.

(and before you say I benefited from the system of today's grade inflation- I did not- my school's grade distribution is similar to a TTT)


Btw I am not criticizing any current undergraduates and/or law school applicants for this situation.....it is the fault of universities and professors so please don't take it personally

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:02 pm
by TXguy2016
proteinshake wrote:didn't Cornell have a 168 LSAT median back then? they have a 167 now, so that would explain that - they settled for a slightly lower LSAT to raise their GPA median and be more balanced.


But wouldn't you think with nearly 2,500 fewer applicants in 2015 than 2010 both LSAT and GPA would drop? It's not like we are talking about 300 fewer apps...I would imagine with over a third of the applicant pool decreasing there would be a more substantial hit to the numbers

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:09 pm
by ATLgroupie
goldenbear2020 wrote:Georgetown: 3.78 (+0.02) / 167
Source: fee waiver e-mail


Surprised. Looked like they were going for 168 median based on Law School Numbers . . .

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:11 pm
by Rigo
TXguy2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:didn't Cornell have a 168 LSAT median back then? they have a 167 now, so that would explain that - they settled for a slightly lower LSAT to raise their GPA median and be more balanced.


But wouldn't you think with nearly 2,500 fewer applicants in 2015 than 2010 both LSAT and GPA would drop? It's not like we are talking about 300 fewer apps...I would imagine with over a third of the applicant pool decreasing there would be a more substantial hit to the numbers

Maybe they became more generous. Maybe the drop in apps was mainly dumbs. Who knows.