CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15401
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Rigo wrote:Highly doubt WUSTL stacks sections. That's TTT behavior.

Rigo, just stop. No one has made that claim here. I don't even think WUSTL gives out conditional scholarships.

No need to get panties in a twist. It's all good.

vcap180
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Rigo wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
Rigo wrote:Highly doubt WUSTL stacks sections. That's TTT behavior.

Rigo, just stop. No one has made that claim here. I don't even think WUSTL gives out conditional scholarships.

No need to get panties in a twist. It's all good.


Yeah, just to be clear, we werent talking about intentionally stacking sections in the conventional sense; rather, this would be a potential unintended consequence of admitting such a vast range of GPA/LSATs - especially when you factor in the STEM element.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Are we assuming WashU attracts a lot of STEM majors, or is there evidence of this (other than low GPAs with high LSATs being admitted)?

poptart123
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby poptart123 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:41 pm

I feel like it's a WASH to argue over WUSTL, anyways. It has nice numbers because it can shell out big money. There isn't a real mystery there, and it will be interesting to see if the numbers trend continues. It's a good school for some people if the money is right, but until we see evidence of better employment outcomes the numbers/ranking is useless.

Fiddlesticks
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Fiddlesticks » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:43 pm

It says on their pamphlet that they have 15% STEM majors.. is that significantly higher than other schools? I feel like not, but I don't know.

vcap180
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Fiddlesticks wrote:It says on their pamphlet that they have 15% STEM majors.. is that significantly higher than other schools? I feel like not, but I don't know.


Interesting. Probably not?

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:49 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Fiddlesticks wrote:It says on their pamphlet that they have 15% STEM majors.. is that significantly higher than other schools? I feel like not, but I don't know.


Interesting. Probably not?

Why advertise that if it isn´t significant? Simply because no one else does and it may get lesser informed people to apply?

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:53 pm

bmathers wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Fiddlesticks wrote:It says on their pamphlet that they have 15% STEM majors.. is that significantly higher than other schools? I feel like not, but I don't know.


Interesting. Probably not?

Why advertise that if it isn´t significant? Simply because no one else does and it may get lesser informed people to apply?

It's definitely a possibility. Though that would deter me haha.

HYPSM
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby HYPSM » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:54 pm

.
Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vcap180
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:00 pm

RamTitan wrote:
bmathers wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Fiddlesticks wrote:It says on their pamphlet that they have 15% STEM majors.. is that significantly higher than other schools? I feel like not, but I don't know.


Interesting. Probably not?

Why advertise that if it isn´t significant? Simply because no one else does and it may get lesser informed people to apply?

It's definitely a possibility. Though that would deter me haha.



I was just going to say this.

vcap180
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Theoretically, you could maintain very strong medians by creating a class composed almost entirely of splitters and reverse splitters (I'm not suggesting that this is what WUSTL is doing)

personofinterest
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby personofinterest » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:51 pm

vcap180 wrote:Theoretically, you could maintain very strong medians by creating a class composed almost entirely of splitters and reverse splitters (I'm not suggesting that this is what WUSTL is doing)

It looks like they are doing exactly that.

HYPSM
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby HYPSM » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:00 pm

.
Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4394
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:33 pm

HYPSM wrote:
personofinterest wrote:
vcap180 wrote:Theoretically, you could maintain very strong medians by creating a class composed almost entirely of splitters and reverse splitters (I'm not suggesting that this is what WUSTL is doing)

It looks like they are doing exactly that.


+1

Given their range, it appears that's precisely what they're doing.

UVA and Penn do this too right?

life2323
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby life2323 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 pm

UMN Law School

159/164/166
3.48/3.75/3.87

Class Size: 176


Soure: Posted on UMN law admission Instagram profile

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1478
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby runinthefront » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:08 pm

proteinshake wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
personofinterest wrote:
vcap180 wrote:Theoretically, you could maintain very strong medians by creating a class composed almost entirely of splitters and reverse splitters (I'm not suggesting that this is what WUSTL is doing)

It looks like they are doing exactly that.


+1

Given their range, it appears that's precisely what they're doing.

UVA and Penn do this too right?


Not really to the same degree, no. The range between WUSTL's 25th/75th GPA and 25th/75th GPA range is [+.66 , +7] respectively.

In comparison, Virginia's is [+0.46, +5] and Penn's is [+.37, +7]. Aside from Penn's difference in LSAT scores, the numbers are not really comparable to WUSTL's.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 10119
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:41 pm

life2323 wrote:UMN Law School

159/164/166
3.48/3.75/3.87

Class Size: 176


Soure: Posted on UMN law admission Instagram profile


That poor school has taken such a beating post-legal downturn.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 3648
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby cannibal ox » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:30 pm

life2323 wrote:UMN Law School

159 (+1) / 164 / 166
3.48 / 3.75 (-0.04) / 3.87 (-0.03)

Class Size: 176 (+2)


Soure: Posted on UMN law admission Instagram profile

User avatar
JoshLyman13
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:09 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby JoshLyman13 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Northwestern:

LSAT - 163/168/170(+1)
GPA - 3.45(-0.11)/3.82(+0.05)/3.90(+0.05)
Class - 217 (+4)

Source - Brochure from LSAC forum

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4394
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:46 pm

JoshLyman13 wrote:Northwestern:

LSAT - 163/168/170(+1)
GPA - 3.45(-0.11)/3.82(+0.05)/3.90(+0.05)
Class - 217 (+4)

Source - Brochure from LSAC forum

wow that GPA jump! thought they were going to move up to 169 because of all that Pritzker money too.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby dietcoke1 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 pm

spreadsheet updated

User avatar
JoshLyman13
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:09 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby JoshLyman13 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Emory:

LSAT - 157(+1)/165/166
GPA - 3.40(-0.05)/3.78(+0.01)/3.87(-0.01)
Class - 261 (+27)

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:09 pm

JoshLyman13 wrote:Emory:

LSAT - 157(+1)/165/166
GPA - 3.40(-0.05)/3.78(+0.01)/3.87(-0.01)
Class - 261 (+27)

Hmm, with that 25th percentile UGPA drop, maybe it is still worthwhile throwing a reach app their way. Last cycle I was WL'ed at Emory, but had a very raw, unpolished application and possibly a different LSAT score (will find out shortly). My GPA is low (3.3), but with pretty decent addendum for my first 1-2 years and that's not horrible far from their lower 25th percentile.

vcap180
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:49 pm

bmathers wrote:
JoshLyman13 wrote:Emory:

LSAT - 157(+1)/165/166
GPA - 3.40(-0.05)/3.78(+0.01)/3.87(-0.01)
Class - 261 (+27)

Hmm, with that 25th percentile UGPA drop, maybe it is still worthwhile throwing a reach app their way. Last cycle I was WL'ed at Emory, but had a very raw, unpolished application and possibly a different LSAT score (will find out shortly). My GPA is low (3.3), but with pretty decent addendum for my first 1-2 years and that's not horrible far from their lower 25th percentile.



What LSAT did you apply with last cycle? PM if you prefer

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3189
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby JCougar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:03 pm

RareExports wrote:
Rigo wrote:They just have to get outcomes to improve as well.

My class at WUSTL (2018) is on pace to have dramatically increased job outcomes from the most recent data.

WUSTL's model (attracting STEM/non-traditional/etc. people with high LSATs and artificially low GPAs by giving huge scholarships) is working well.


I really hope that's true. I went there about 2 years before they started handing out insane scholarships, but before the big turnover in the CSO. I didn't get any help in finding a job from anyone at that school, be it professors or the CSO.

If they're actually getting people jobs now, than yes, it's probably an insane deal relative to its peers. I mean, it's not like you're going to get a job from GeorgeTTTown or USC at median, anyway.

I feel bad for people attending any school at sticker these days...even Harvard. It's getting to the point that even Biglaw won't pay off your loans. And if you somehow manage to last 8 years in Biglaw, you'll probably age about 16 years in the process due to stress/no sleep. TBH, I'd rather just quit law and become a bartender somewhere for the rest of my life and let PAY-E take care of me than do an 8-year stint in Biglaw.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bnssweeney and 7 guests