CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
RareExports

Silver
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RareExports » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 pm

bmathers wrote:Lower ranked top tier, as in the bottom of top tier -- aka 45-50ish.

These schools might be Tier One but they are not "top tier." Tier One is an official (or at least used to be official) category for the top 50 USNWR schools. Top tier is a descriptor that does not fit these schools. And no one is championing these schools' employment statistics. It's not like the TLS consensus being faced between Florida State at sticker and Stetson at full scholarship is to take FSU at sticker. TLS would say re-take and re-apply or don't go at all because neither outcome is likely to be acceptable, regardless of what your goals and background are.

matterhorn

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:51 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby matterhorn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:00 pm

RamTitan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:UC Berkeley

163(+1)/166/169(+1)
3.65(+0.01)/3.79(-0.01)/3.89(-0.01)
301(+7)

does being above median means anything when it comes to $$$ for Berk?

I'd like to know this as well

Edit - but my gut is making me doubt it for some reason....


FWIW I was above both 75ths last cycle and got $0.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:02 pm

matterhorn wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:UC Berkeley

163(+1)/166/169(+1)
3.65(+0.01)/3.79(-0.01)/3.89(-0.01)
301(+7)

does being above median means anything when it comes to $$$ for Berk?

I'd like to know this as well

Edit - but my gut is making me doubt it for some reason....


FWIW I was above both 75ths last cycle and got $0.

what the hell

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:many lower ranked top tier LS's


What kind of top tier school is lower-ranked?

Also, the rest of that post was nonsense. Students at these schools aren't thinking, "Gee, I don't need to get an internship because my TJLS degree is going to open up a world of opportunity for me." Students at Harvard don't even think they shouldn't get internships over the summer. The worst of the worst schools simply haven't got any opportunities for their students, because no legal institution in their right mind is going to hire someone from there.

Lower ranked top tier, as in the bottom of top tier -- aka 45-50ish. The rest of that is just through multiple conversation with a friend, her real-life observations while attending (she just graduated). Do you have experience at one of these schools to debunk her comments through experience?


What schools in that tier have sub-60% employment rates (incidentally, the schools people are generally referring to here have much worse employment rates than that)?

And anecdotes are not data, nor are they persuasive. Your friend got a job, whoopee. That doesn't negate the fact that a large chunk of her classmates didn't. Now, she may be right, and it may be that her classmates all thought that their fantastic degrees guaranteed them employment, despite no one in the history of law school ever thinking this ever. But the fact is that they likely didn't have internship opportunities in the first place, because their school was in no position to help them find an internship.

Of course, you may be right. Charlotte may be a fantastic school populated almost exclusively by idiots who just don't know how to take advantage of the myriad opportunities Charlotte offers. Yeah. That sounds reasonable.

Anyway, last year Stetson has higher employment than Temple, even with Georgia State, Richmond, George Mason, and not too far below (5%) Wake Forest, UNC, for example

KatCoco

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby KatCoco » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 pm

matterhorn wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:UC Berkeley

163(+1)/166/169(+1)
3.65(+0.01)/3.79(-0.01)/3.89(-0.01)
301(+7)

does being above median means anything when it comes to $$$ for Berk?

I'd like to know this as well

Edit - but my gut is making me doubt it for some reason....


FWIW I was above both 75ths last cycle and got $0.


What??? That really scares me. Did you do a Why X or a tailored PS? Trying to figure out what would make them offer no money at all...

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:24 pm

RareExports wrote:
bmathers wrote:Lower ranked top tier, as in the bottom of top tier -- aka 45-50ish.

regardless of what your goals and background are.

What if your goals are a small firm in the state of Florida? A full-ride to Stetson would not be a horrible outcome for those goals -- certainly you don't need to go T14, or even to FSU/UF, to accomplish those goals.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:33 pm

bmathers wrote:
RareExports wrote:
bmathers wrote:Lower ranked top tier, as in the bottom of top tier -- aka 45-50ish.

regardless of what your goals and background are.

What if your goals are a small firm in the state of Florida? A full-ride to Stetson would not be a horrible outcome for those goals -- certainly you don't need to go T14, or even to FSU/UF, to accomplish those goals.

We've gotten off-topic again. In some instances maybe it makes sense, but for the vast majority of students it doesn't make sense. The problem is because the school leads the students to believe it makes sense. Let's not derail the conversation though and just agree to disagree and hope more T14s release medians soon.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:04 pm

proteinshake wrote:
matterhorn wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:UC Berkeley

163(+1)/166/169(+1)
3.65(+0.01)/3.79(-0.01)/3.89(-0.01)
301(+7)

does being above median means anything when it comes to $$$ for Berk?

I'd like to know this as well

Edit - but my gut is making me doubt it for some reason....


FWIW I was above both 75ths last cycle and got $0.

what the hell

3.9+/170+ last cycle at Berk: 15 accepted, 2 rejected, average money: $0
http://mylsn.info/zq5oot/

Berk and GULC are by far the stingiest T14s for >75th numbers.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:09 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
matterhorn wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:UC Berkeley

163(+1)/166/169(+1)
3.65(+0.01)/3.79(-0.01)/3.89(-0.01)
301(+7)

does being above median means anything when it comes to $$$ for Berk?

I'd like to know this as well

Edit - but my gut is making me doubt it for some reason....


FWIW I was above both 75ths last cycle and got $0.

what the hell

3.9+/170+ last cycle at Berk: 15 accepted, 2 rejected, average money: $0
http://mylsn.info/zq5oot/

Berk and GULC are by far the stingiest T14s for >75th numbers.

but those numbers prob got good offers from other T10s that Berk would have matched, right?

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:10 pm

proteinshake wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
matterhorn wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:UC Berkeley

163(+1)/166/169(+1)
3.65(+0.01)/3.79(-0.01)/3.89(-0.01)
301(+7)

does being above median means anything when it comes to $$$ for Berk?

I'd like to know this as well

Edit - but my gut is making me doubt it for some reason....


FWIW I was above both 75ths last cycle and got $0.

what the hell

3.9+/170+ last cycle at Berk: 15 accepted, 2 rejected, average money: $0
http://mylsn.info/zq5oot/

Berk and GULC are by far the stingiest T14s for >75th numbers.

but those numbers prob got good offers from other T10s that Berk would have matched, right?


https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... holarship/

matterhorn

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:51 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby matterhorn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:08 pm

proteinshake wrote:but those numbers prob got good offers from other T10s that Berk would have matched, right?


I talked to financial aid at Boalt and they made a bunch of matches early on and then ran out of money. So if you do happen to get in this year and have a scholarship from a peer school I would recommend sending it in right away or risk getting 0.

User avatar
USayinBoalt

Gold
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby USayinBoalt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Berkeley stopped doing the matching scholarship thing this year so you are out of luck there

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions/jd/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/matching-scholarship/

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby TAD » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:20 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:Berkeley stopped doing the matching scholarship thing this year so you are out of luck there

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions/jd/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/matching-scholarship/


They publicly stopped doing the matching scholarship.

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:00 pm

TAD wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Berkeley stopped doing the matching scholarship thing this year so you are out of luck there

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions/jd/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/matching-scholarship/


They publicly stopped doing the matching scholarship.



So, uh, who the f*ck is getting the schollys if several of those above both 75ths are getting zero

User avatar
Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:14 pm

vcap180 wrote:
TAD wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Berkeley stopped doing the matching scholarship thing this year so you are out of luck there

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions/jd/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/matching-scholarship/


They publicly stopped doing the matching scholarship.



So, uh, who the f*ck is getting the schollys if several of those above both 75ths are getting zero


As a previous poster noted, they ran out of money early last year (possibly due to matching.) So those who applied early with good numbers perhaps?

zihua

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby zihua » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:48 am

My daughter received a large matching award, applied late in the cycle and was above the 75% in both lsat and gpa. She was a KJD with average
but interesting softs. Berkeley IS a black box.

AriGold33

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:51 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby AriGold33 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
TAD wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Berkeley stopped doing the matching scholarship thing this year so you are out of luck there

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions/jd/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships/matching-scholarship/


They publicly stopped doing the matching scholarship.



So, uh, who the f*ck is getting the schollys if several of those above both 75ths are getting zero


As a previous poster noted, they ran out of money early last year (possibly due to matching.) So those who applied early with good numbers perhaps?


FWIW I applied within the first couple weeks, above both 75th, was among the first group that got in, and received zero.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:25 pm

I really think Berkeley cares more than just about any school about personal statement and whether they think you bring an interesting perspective to the class. They harp on this in every Dean interview and publication I've seen and I don't think they're blowing smoke. I think that's what makes it such a black box.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Cincinnati:
https://www.law.uc.edu/prospective-stud ... ns-profile

153 (+1) / 155 / 157
3.22 (-0.01) / 3.47 (-0.12) / 3.78
126 (+25)

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:32 pm

So is Berkeley the Fordham of the T14? Cheap fucks?

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10257
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:58 pm

berk gonna berk

if they are removing the matching scholarship program, they will need to start providing aid packages organically consistent with peer schools to recruit talent (and by peer schools I don't mean that list of 10, I mean UVA/Michigan/Penn/Duke/Northwestern/Cornell).

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Alabama:
http://www.law.ua.edu/admissions/quick-facts/

157 (+1) / 163 / 165 (+1)
3.45 (+0.16) / 3.82 (+0.06) / 3.92 (-0.01)

That definitely seems like a top-10 GPA median to me (only exceeded by HYS, Chicago, Penn, and UVA).

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:51 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:Alabama:
http://www.law.ua.edu/admissions/quick-facts/

157 (+1) / 163 / 165 (+1)
3.45 (+0.16) / 3.82 (+0.06) / 3.92 (-0.01)

That definitely seems like a top-10 GPA median to me (only exceeded by HYS, Chicago, Penn, and UVA).

That GPA o.O

Goldenbear, how are you so on point with stats? Do you have like some special updater or something??? Lol

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Rigo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:23 am

USC dgaf

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:52 pm

TheMikey wrote:Goldenbear, how are you so on point with stats? Do you have like some special updater or something??? Lol

auto browser updater

Oregon:
https://law.uoregon.edu/explore/class-profile

154 / 157 / 159 (+1)
3.20 (+0.04) / 3.40 (-0.08) / 3.64



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 16 guests