CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LurkerShirker

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby LurkerShirker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:45 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Okay folks. Here are University of Florida Law numbers and they are a doozy! Also, I will immodestly say there is a reason I know these so well, keeping in mind we also consult for law schools :)

Apps were up 98%. Acceptance rate went down to 35% (compared to 62%). LSAT +3 (to 160), GPA +.1 (from 3.5 to 3.6). Most diverse class ever: 36% racial & ethnic diversity, 47% women.

They DOUBLED their applications? How??


They hired the right consulting firm :-)

But more importantly, the right Dean.


Earlier press releases from January said they tripled the amount of merit scholarships and were giving 75 percent scholarhips. Even the wrong dean/consulting firm should have been able to do something with that.

User avatar
gsy987

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby gsy987 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 am

LurkerShirker wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Okay folks. Here are University of Florida Law numbers and they are a doozy! Also, I will immodestly say there is a reason I know these so well, keeping in mind we also consult for law schools :)

Apps were up 98%. Acceptance rate went down to 35% (compared to 62%). LSAT +3 (to 160), GPA +.1 (from 3.5 to 3.6). Most diverse class ever: 36% racial & ethnic diversity, 47% women.

They DOUBLED their applications? How??


They hired the right consulting firm :-)

But more importantly, the right Dean.


Earlier press releases from January said they tripled the amount of merit scholarships and were giving 75 percent scholarhips. Even the wrong dean/consulting firm should have been able to do something with that.


I actually ended up with one of those 75% scholarships! They did seem to be giving them out like candy this year.

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby ms9 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 am

LurkerShirker wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Okay folks. Here are University of Florida Law numbers and they are a doozy! Also, I will immodestly say there is a reason I know these so well, keeping in mind we also consult for law schools :)

Apps were up 98%. Acceptance rate went down to 35% (compared to 62%). LSAT +3 (to 160), GPA +.1 (from 3.5 to 3.6). Most diverse class ever: 36% racial & ethnic diversity, 47% women.

They DOUBLED their applications? How??


They hired the right consulting firm :-)

But more importantly, the right Dean.


Earlier press releases from January said they tripled the amount of merit scholarships and were giving 75 percent scholarhips. Even the wrong dean/consulting firm should have been able to do something with that.


They did. Although it was the Dean who did it (fundraising), so again the kudos to her, and their total remission (merit aid) is still is not near the level of some other schools in their range.

Bottom line is they did about 50 things they hadn't before. Probably 30 worked and 20 didn't. And that is what it takes, from experience.

waid180

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby waid180 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:29 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
LurkerShirker wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Okay folks. Here are University of Florida Law numbers and they are a doozy! Also, I will immodestly say there is a reason I know these so well, keeping in mind we also consult for law schools :)

Apps were up 98%. Acceptance rate went down to 35% (compared to 62%). LSAT +3 (to 160), GPA +.1 (from 3.5 to 3.6). Most diverse class ever: 36% racial & ethnic diversity, 47% women.

They DOUBLED their applications? How??


They hired the right consulting firm :-)

But more importantly, the right Dean.


Earlier press releases from January said they tripled the amount of merit scholarships and were giving 75 percent scholarhips. Even the wrong dean/consulting firm should have been able to do something with that.


They did. Although it was the Dean who did it (fundraising), so again the kudos to her, and their total remission (merit aid) is still is not near the level of some other schools in their range.

Bottom line is they did about 50 things they hadn't before. Probably 30 worked and 20 didn't. And that is what it takes, from experience.


Would you say that those of us that are applying this cycle will have just missed law school admission's darkest hour, and will have the unfortunate task of applying right as things begin to rebound? There was no way these numbers were going to continue to drop forever.

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby ms9 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 am

waid180 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LurkerShirker wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Okay folks. Here are University of Florida Law numbers and they are a doozy! Also, I will immodestly say there is a reason I know these so well, keeping in mind we also consult for law schools :)

Apps were up 98%. Acceptance rate went down to 35% (compared to 62%). LSAT +3 (to 160), GPA +.1 (from 3.5 to 3.6). Most diverse class ever: 36% racial & ethnic diversity, 47% women.

They DOUBLED their applications? How??


They hired the right consulting firm :-)

But more importantly, the right Dean.


Earlier press releases from January said they tripled the amount of merit scholarships and were giving 75 percent scholarhips. Even the wrong dean/consulting firm should have been able to do something with that.


They did. Although it was the Dean who did it (fundraising), so again the kudos to her, and their total remission (merit aid) is still is not near the level of some other schools in their range.

Bottom line is they did about 50 things they hadn't before. Probably 30 worked and 20 didn't. And that is what it takes, from experience.


Would you say that those of us that are applying this cycle will have just missed law school admission's darkest hour, and will have the unfortunate task of applying right as things begin to rebound? There was no way these numbers were going to continue to drop forever.


Here you go: 9I don't think this cycle will be much different than last, and very possibly less rigorous at the top

==error==/predic ... ons-cycle/

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Can someone explain to me, like I am a child, why the 2019 tab looks some messed up but all other tabs are good to go? Many thanks!


still working on the excel sheet MS9, sorry If it looks out of sorts at the moment.

I will clean it up when I get the chance!

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
waid180 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LurkerShirker wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Okay folks. Here are University of Florida Law numbers and they are a doozy! Also, I will immodestly say there is a reason I know these so well, keeping in mind we also consult for law schools :)

Apps were up 98%. Acceptance rate went down to 35% (compared to 62%). LSAT +3 (to 160), GPA +.1 (from 3.5 to 3.6). Most diverse class ever: 36% racial & ethnic diversity, 47% women.

They DOUBLED their applications? How??


They hired the right consulting firm :-)

But more importantly, the right Dean.


Earlier press releases from January said they tripled the amount of merit scholarships and were giving 75 percent scholarhips. Even the wrong dean/consulting firm should have been able to do something with that.


They did. Although it was the Dean who did it (fundraising), so again the kudos to her, and their total remission (merit aid) is still is not near the level of some other schools in their range.

Bottom line is they did about 50 things they hadn't before. Probably 30 worked and 20 didn't. And that is what it takes, from experience.


Would you say that those of us that are applying this cycle will have just missed law school admission's darkest hour, and will have the unfortunate task of applying right as things begin to rebound? There was no way these numbers were going to continue to drop forever.


Here you go: 9I don't think this cycle will be much different than last, and very possibly less rigorous at the top

==error==/predic ... ons-cycle/


Awesome - that's good news [for most of the forum goers anyways]... I wonder if it has anything to do with the rise of coding being a quick way to make your way to $100K+ with pretty good hours/benefits (and the actual advertisements of this)... (i.e. the idea of going to law school just because you're unsure what to do next has cut back on some of the high scoring applicants interested in law school.)

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:14 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Can someone explain to me, like I am a child, why the 2019 tab looks some messed up but all other tabs are good to go? Many thanks!


still working on the excel sheet MS9, sorry If it looks out of sorts at the moment.

I will clean it up when I get the chance!


Thanks for doing this, by the way!

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby ms9 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Can someone explain to me, like I am a child, why the 2019 tab looks some messed up but all other tabs are good to go? Many thanks!


still working on the excel sheet MS9, sorry If it looks out of sorts at the moment.

I will clean it up when I get the chance!


Thank you Sir!

knowcompinc

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby knowcompinc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:18 am

Pepperdine class has 205 students according to orientation today, no information on GPA or LSAT stats yet.

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby ms9 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 am

Where is that Whitespider guy? That kid was born to find medians.

User avatar
hipcatdaddio

Bronze
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby hipcatdaddio » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:34 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Where is that Whitespider guy? That kid was born to find medians.


Image

Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Huskies13! wrote:Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

25ths both up by +1 and .03

User avatar
RareExports

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RareExports » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Huskies13! wrote:Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

Ouch

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby zeglo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:08 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LittleGiants16

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby LittleGiants16 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:00 pm

RareExports wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

Ouch

Why ouch?

User avatar
RareExports

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RareExports » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:45 pm

LittleGiants16 wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

Ouch

Why ouch?

With how large the increase in 170+ test scores was this cycle, I think it's pretty surprising that Duke wasn't able to get to a 170. Especially considering the (albeit slight) decrease in class size. I think any non-HYS T14 needs to treat a held LSAT median as a loss.

Tiddlywinks

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:48 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Tiddlywinks » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm

RareExports wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

Ouch

Why ouch?

With how large the increase in 170+ test scores was this cycle, I think it's pretty surprising that Duke wasn't able to get to a 170. Especially considering the (albeit slight) decrease in class size. I think any non-HYS T14 needs to treat a held LSAT median as a loss.

Gotta look at it in perspective since last year was record lows. They haven't had a 170 median since 2011 so I wouldn't really consider this a loss or anything. I'd expect most to hold medians and maybe an increase or two in the T14 (NYU most likely). 25th should rise though.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby grades?? » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:03 pm

RareExports wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Duke is up:
https://law.duke.edu/admis/classprofile/
223 (-2)
169 (0)
3.76 (0)

Ouch

Why ouch?

With how large the increase in 170+ test scores was this cycle, I think it's pretty surprising that Duke wasn't able to get to a 170. Especially considering the (albeit slight) decrease in class size. I think any non-HYS T14 needs to treat a held LSAT median as a loss.


Duke was the only t14 in that range last year that held median lsat at 169 while everyone else around them in the rankings dropped at least 1 lsat point. So stfu.

User avatar
RareExports

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RareExports » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I wouldn't expect a school that raised class size to increase its median LSAT, but when there's 13% more 170+ scorers and 25% more 175+ scorers, AND it decreases class size, there seems little reason to praise holding a 169.

Hikikomorist

Platinum
Posts: 7792
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:26 pm

RareExports wrote:I wouldn't expect a school that raised class size to increase its median LSAT, but when there's 13% more 170+ scorers and 25% more 175+ scorers, AND it decreases class size, there seems little reason to praise holding a 169.

I think choosing to decrease class size is rather praiseworthy in and of itself.

hogscienceavatarlost

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby hogscienceavatarlost » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
RareExports wrote:I wouldn't expect a school that raised class size to increase its median LSAT, but when there's 13% more 170+ scorers and 25% more 175+ scorers, AND it decreases class size, there seems little reason to praise holding a 169.

I think choosing to decrease class size is rather praiseworthy in and of itself.


Up to 45% female too. Its not perfect, but at least they're trying.

User avatar
Iwanttolawschool

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
RareExports wrote:I wouldn't expect a school that raised class size to increase its median LSAT, but when there's 13% more 170+ scorers and 25% more 175+ scorers, AND it decreases class size, there seems little reason to praise holding a 169.

I think choosing to decrease class size is rather praiseworthy in and of itself.


They decreased by 2 people... It wasn't like they intended to decrease, lol.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 pm

MOAR



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 13 guests