CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 pm

RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol

I met someone the other night who graduated from Berkley undergrad the other night. Very cool dude, but definitely fit the stereotypical Berk student -- aka surfer/very laid-back dude, grew up very into Buddhist enlightenment, etc. I'd got to Boalt, I think it would be an interesting experience.

User avatar
USayinBoalt

Gold
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby USayinBoalt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:04 pm

bmathers wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol

I met someone the other night who graduated from Berkley undergrad the other night. Very cool dude, but definitely fit the stereotypical Berk student -- aka surfer/very laid-back dude, grew up very into Buddhist enlightenment, etc. I'd got to Boalt, I think it would be an interesting experience.


The laid-back atmosphere is what I like the most. It's pretty much the only t-14 I'm interested in (other than Stanford), but I will be applying to others for the scholly leverage

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Baby Gaga » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:05 pm

RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol


Berkeley is one of my top choices but this is something I'm concerned about. Last time I lived in that kind of environment it made me consider joining the tea party

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RamTitan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol


Berkeley is one of my top choices but this is something I'm concerned about. Last time I lived in that kind of environment it made me consider joining the tea party

Lol, same; I went to a super left-leaning liberal arts college, and it turned me into a republican. Apparently that is not that abnormal of an concurrence though.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 am

Case Western Reserve:

Median LSAT: 159 (0)
Median Undergraduate GPA: 3.48 (+.04)
Class Size: 146 (+24)

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:11 am

RamTitan wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol


Berkeley is one of my top choices but this is something I'm concerned about. Last time I lived in that kind of environment it made me consider joining the tea party

Lol, same; I went to a super left-leaning liberal arts college, and it turned me into a republican. Apparently that is not that abnormal of an concurrence though.


Berkeley is one of my top choices as well. I went to NYU undergrad, which I thought was super liberal, but after visiting Berkeley, I realized that it might be on a whole new level...

LurkerShirker

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby LurkerShirker » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:40 am

BC's full numbers: http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/profile.html

2016 Entering Class
Number of applicants: 4520
Enrolled students: 247

Median GPA: 3.50
25th percentile: 3.32
75th percentile: 3.65

Median LSAT: 163
25th percentile: 161
75th percentile: 163

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:54 am

LurkerShirker wrote:BC's full numbers: http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/profile.html

2016 Entering Class
Number of applicants: 4520
Enrolled students: 247

Median GPA: 3.50
25th percentile: 3.32
75th percentile: 3.65

Median LSAT: 163
25th percentile: 161
75th percentile: 163

That seems pretty odd - the median and 75th-percentile is the same. Totally possible with medians, but just looks kinda weird

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby poptart123 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:02 pm

bmathers wrote:
LurkerShirker wrote:BC's full numbers: http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/profile.html

2016 Entering Class
Number of applicants: 4520
Enrolled students: 247

Median GPA: 3.50
25th percentile: 3.32
75th percentile: 3.65

Median LSAT: 163
25th percentile: 161
75th percentile: 163

That seems pretty odd - the median and 75th-percentile is the same. Totally possible with medians, but just looks kinda weird


Median and 75th GPA went down over .5 each, but nice bump to 25th and median LSAT it looks like. It's also interesting to know for a fact that at least 1/4 of the class has a 163 LSAT.

Yankees1313

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Yankees1313 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Would you say BC's numbers improved? Lower acceptance rate for this years class?

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RamTitan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol


Berkeley is one of my top choices but this is something I'm concerned about. Last time I lived in that kind of environment it made me consider joining the tea party

Lol, same; I went to a super left-leaning liberal arts college, and it turned me into a republican. Apparently that is not that abnormal of an concurrence though.


Berkeley is one of my top choices as well. I went to NYU undergrad, which I thought was super liberal, but after visiting Berkeley, I realized that it might be on a whole new level...

That is absolutely terrifying

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:15 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:Anxiously waiting for Berks numbers to drop (it's a black box but still wanna know the numbers)


I can honestly say that Berkeley is the one school in the t-14 that I would have zero interest in attending.

I'd go to Berk, but I'd nervous about expressing my political opinions.....probably would become an ENEMIES OF THE GATE just to fit in lol


Berkeley is one of my top choices but this is something I'm concerned about. Last time I lived in that kind of environment it made me consider joining the tea party

Lol, same; I went to a super left-leaning liberal arts college, and it turned me into a republican. Apparently that is not that abnormal of an concurrence though.


Berkeley is one of my top choices as well. I went to NYU undergrad, which I thought was super liberal, but after visiting Berkeley, I realized that it might be on a whole new level...

That is absolutely terrifying


Hence my original sentiment: I wouldn't go to Berkeley even if I was admitted and I don't quite have t-14 numbers either

Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:17 pm


Huskies13!

Bronze
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:35 pm

Seattle:
https://law.seattleu.edu/admission/pros ... nd-figures
200(-1)
151/154/158(+1)
3.11(+.12)/3.36(+.12)/3.55(+.06)

User avatar
EnderWiggin

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby EnderWiggin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:19 am

These medians are looking good
[+] Spoiler
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Lithium94

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Lithium94 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.

User avatar
bmathers

Silver
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby bmathers » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

All the exact same (except I don't know about class size), except GPA median and 25th both went up. Median went up .01 and 25th went up .06.

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:55 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.


True, but a 3.8 isn't a walk in the park either haha I would be more outraged if a 3.2/172 got into a school over a 3.8/168 (which happens all the time, apparently).

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:49 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.

a 168/3.8 is better overall imo.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.


True, but a 3.8 isn't a walk in the park either haha I would be more outraged if a 3.2/172 got into a school over a 3.8/168 (which happens all the time, apparently).

I guess it's a testament to how rare those 170+ scores are....kills me that my score is median, but my GPA is between the 25 and 50 percent tiles

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:19 pm

proteinshake wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.

a 168/3.8 is better overall imo.


That's not the issue. The issue is whether it's ridiculous for someone with a 3.95 to get accepted into Penn Law. I'm saying it's not, because a 3.95 is actually an impressive GPA.

Having a 3.95 means you were consistent for four years of your life. You didn't mess up, you weren't a lazy freshman who decided to turn their life around halfway through, it means you largely sacrificed much of your social life to making sure you never slipped in any of your classes. Doing that for four years requires a lot more effort than scoring a 168 on the LSAT.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.

a 168/3.8 is better overall imo.


That's not the issue. The issue is whether it's ridiculous for someone with a 3.95 to get accepted into Penn Law. I'm saying it's not, because a 3.95 is actually an impressive GPA.

Having a 3.95 means you were consistent for four years of your life. You didn't mess up, you weren't a lazy freshman who decided to turn their life around halfway through, it means you largely sacrificed much of your social life to making sure you never slipped in any of your classes. Doing that for four years requires a lot more effort than scoring a 168 on the LSAT.

you changed my claim from "it's ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better chance at Penn than a 168/3.8" to "it's ridiculous that a person with a 163/3.95 got accepted."

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:02 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:Penn

Class Size: 244
LSAT: 170/169/163
GPA: 3.95/3.90/3.58

Edit: here's the link https://www.law.upenn.edu/admissions/jd/entering-class-profile.php

why don't all schools just inflate their medians by lowering their 25ths? seems ridiculous that a 163/3.95 has a better shot at Penn than a 168/3.8.


Why is that ridiculous? Assuming you went to a reasonably competitive university, it's not easy to earn a 3.95.

a 168/3.8 is better overall imo.


That's not the issue. The issue is whether it's ridiculous for someone with a 3.95 to get accepted into Penn Law. I'm saying it's not, because a 3.95 is actually an impressive GPA.

Having a 3.95 means you were consistent for four years of your life. You didn't mess up, you weren't a lazy freshman who decided to turn their life around halfway through, it means you largely sacrificed much of your social life to making sure you never slipped in any of your classes. Doing that for four years requires a lot more effort than scoring a 168 on the LSAT.


Or it means that you only took courses that gave easy A's, went to a school with grade inflation, etc. etc.

There's plenty of back-and-forth to be had on this, but the notion that a skills-based test (specifically assessing the skills needed in law school) is somehow a worse barometer of your ability to handle the law school curriculum than a number which can fluctuate based on any one of a few dozen factors unrelated to your competence is ridiculous. Also, please consult the LSAT prep forum here if you're really under the impression that people sink more effort into undergrad than they do into the test.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests