CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AriGold33

New

Re: CLASS OF 2019! MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Post by AriGold33 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Last edited by AriGold33 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:47 pm

plurilingue wrote:As an NYUer, I am outraged that my year NYU had a 172 median and it has fallen down to 169 for two years in a row now. Meanwhile, CLS has risen risen from 171 to 172. The notion of NYU=CLS should be over.

HLS falling to a 172 median like CLS should really hit home the notion that CLS = HLS and that the gap is extremely small between the two, if anything.

Also, Columbia's 25th LSAT is 168, not 169, as is currently stated in the Excel file.

I note that UCLA also now has a higher median LSAT (167) than Berkeley (166).
It depends on how you define the gap. I doubt the quality of students/education/opportunities varies much between any of those schools. The only difference is that the general public will be infinitely more impressed if you went to Harvard Law School. HLS will always have unrivaled name-prestige among those outside of the legal community. Which may or may not matter.

Huskies13!

Bronze

Post by Huskies13! » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Fordham:
http://www.fordham.edu/info/21183/selection_criteria
FT
160(-1)/163/165
3.37(+.02)/3.53/3.68

PT
156(-1)/158(-1)/163(+1)
3.30/3.48(-.05)/3.62(.1)

Huskies13!

Bronze

Post by Huskies13! » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:52 pm

UNLV:
https://law.unlv.edu/admissions/fast-facts
116(+12)
153(-2)/157(-1)/159(-2)
3.21(+.23)/3.52(+.2)/3.71(+.23)

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:39 pm

spreadsheet updated, including fix on Columbia's 25th LSAT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:30 pm

What's taking Wake Forest, Penn State, Georgia State, Villanova, and Pitt so long?

Hopefully they release before September LSAT scores come out, but I know that that is certainly not a guarantee.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:31 pm

i wanna know if cornell is going to stick to their median

SCOAngers

New

Post by SCOAngers » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:55 pm

UC Davis

158(-1)/163/164(-1)
3.31(+.04)/3.52(+.01)/3.73(+.05)
Class Size 157 (-23)

Women - 58%
Students of Color - 52%

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:15 am

So I'm hoping that delays in reporting from the remaining schools translate into them having lower scores...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:48 am

theboringest wrote:So I'm hoping that delays in reporting from the remaining schools translate into them having lower scores...
haha yeah this thread hasn't seen action for a while

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:00 pm

vcap180 wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:Saint Louis:
http://law.slu.edu/about-us/slu-law-profile

151 (-1) / 154 (-1) / 158
3.15 (-0.02) / 3.40 (-0.04) / 3.62 (-0.04)
186 (+16)

Another school raising class size while lowering standards.
way to stay classy, St. Louis!
Yeah, St. Louis needs more law grads like it needs more homicides. 90% of these people are fucked for life by this decision. Even above-median people at WashU can't find legit jobs.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm

JCougar wrote:
vcap180 wrote:

186 (+16)

Yeah, St. Louis needs more law grads like it needs more homicides. 90% of these people are fucked for life by this decision. Even above-median people at WashU can't find legit jobs.
Right! They couldn't even keep their football team lol.

Seriously though, I bet you have a better chance of becoming part of their absurdly high violent crime rate than finding a solid bar-required job there.

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 pm

JCougar wrote:
vcap180 wrote:

186 (+16)

Your story ever make a full turn around Jcougar?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 pm

asdfdfdfadfas wrote: Your story ever make a full turn around Jcougar?
Not yet, and living in poverty and practicing a complex area of law with zero resources against people with 10 times your experience and 1,000 times the resources is extremely stressful.

I had lunch with two of my fellow WashU law grads this weekend, and all three of us are not going to crack the $40K barrier this year, unless one of my better cases magically settles.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:48 pm

JCougar wrote:unless one of my better cases magically settles.
Which brings up another point. All you future BigLawers need to make sure you're nice to your local plaintiff attorney. We are the reason you have a job, so if you run us out of business, you too will be run out of business.

The best way to cure the legal employment crisis is to actually give law grads some real training and resources. No matter what law school you plan on entering (even if it's HYS), be prepared for a huge, wasteful, useless joke for 3 years that teaches you nothing useful and drains your resources--and makes you depressed:

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/01/if-youre ... depressed/

You won't learn how to manage a case, market yourself, object to harassing discovery practices without pissing off the judge, depose a pathological liar, stand up to opposing counsel who's fraudulently negotiating in bad faith, do effective jury selection, etc. Even if you "win" at these things, the process is emotionally draining and makes you want to commit suicide. Sometimes it's a Phyrric victory.

Most of all, you won't find anybody that's willing to actually train you. Everyone just wants your labor or loan money without giving you anything in return. An "associate" is someone who just does endless bales and bales of busywork so partners can run up the bill. If you go solo, you'll barely have the money to pay your electric bill at home...let alone $300/month for a decent legal research service, $500 a month to rent a shitty office, etc. And a law student is an economic stimulus package for professors who do about 500 hours of pointless "work" per year and get paid a quarter million dollars.

The funny thing is that from my experience, there is an insane amount of demand for my services. I've only been managing my own practice for 6 months, and I already have a full case load. I just settled my first case yesterday, but it was a smaller one and not enough to be a fiscal breakthrough. I'll have enough money to tread water for another month or two. Nobody knows how to do what I do where I do it, and I get referrals from everybody. Most of my clients would simply never be able to find a lawyer if I weren't here, and I'm not exactly out in the boonies. This is all wasted business potential for the legal industry itself--not just for plaintiff attorneys, but for defense attorneys as well, who have to defend these lawsuits and train corporations on compliance. There's no incentive to pay for compliance training if you never get sued.

Problem is, when opposing counsel wants to be a bastard and not settle, I don't have the resources to go to court on 4 cases at the same time, each with 3 Biglaw partners and 2 associates defending them--each at firms that have 10,000 document brief-banks, partners around the world they can go to with questions, law libraries, 3 different legal research services, etc.

The ultimate problem with this industry is that it completely and wholly lacks leadership. It's a bunch of 60-year-old Martin Shkrelis looking to fatten their pockets at the expense of everyone else--including the legal industry itself. Nobody has the vision to see the bigger picture and address the systemic problems inherent in it. If it weren't for the federal school loan scam/pyramid scheme, the entire legal education industry would go out of business overnight.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Well I guess the cup is half empty.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:43 pm

poptart123 wrote:Well I guess the cup is half empty.
not even half

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:12 pm

poptart123 wrote:Well I guess the cup is half empty.
Just lol. Rumor has it law school= guaranteed 180k= to start. Just sign the dotted line, bro. Positive think your way to victory!

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:18 pm

JCougar wrote:
Which brings up another point. All you future BigLawers need to make sure you're nice to your local plaintiff attorney. We are the reason you have a job, so if you run us out of business, you too will be run out of business.

The best way to cure the legal employment crisis is to actually give law grads some real training and resources. No matter what law school you plan on entering (even if it's HYS), be prepared for a huge, wasteful, useless joke for 3 years that teaches you nothing useful and drains your resources--and makes you depressed:

You won't learn how to manage a case, market yourself, object to harassing discovery practices without pissing off the judge, depose a pathological liar, stand up to opposing counsel who's fraudulently negotiating in bad faith, do effective jury selection, etc. Even if you "win" at these things, the process is emotionally draining and makes you want to commit suicide. Sometimes it's a Phyrric victory.

Most of all, you won't find anybody that's willing to actually train you. Everyone just wants your labor or loan money without giving you anything in return. An "associate" is someone who just does endless bales and bales of busywork so partners can run up the bill. If you go solo, you'll barely have the money to pay your electric bill at home...let alone $300/month for a decent legal research service, $500 a month to rent a shitty office, etc. And a law student is an economic stimulus package for professors who do about 500 hours of pointless "work" per year and get paid a quarter million dollars.

The funny thing is that from my experience, there is an insane amount of demand for my services. I've only been managing my own practice for 6 months, and I already have a full case load. I just settled my first case yesterday, but it was a smaller one and not enough to be a fiscal breakthrough. I'll have enough money to tread water for another month or two. Nobody knows how to do what I do where I do it, and I get referrals from everybody. Most of my clients would simply never be able to find a lawyer if I weren't here, and I'm not exactly out in the boonies. This is all wasted business potential for the legal industry itself--not just for plaintiff attorneys, but for defense attorneys as well, who have to defend these lawsuits and train corporations on compliance. There's no incentive to pay for compliance training if you never get sued.

Problem is, when opposing counsel wants to be a bastard and not settle, I don't have the resources to go to court on 4 cases at the same time, each with 3 Biglaw partners and 2 associates defending them--each at firms that have 10,000 document brief-banks, partners around the world they can go to with questions, law libraries, 3 different legal research services, etc.

The ultimate problem with this industry is that it completely and wholly lacks leadership. It's a bunch of 60-year-old Martin Shkrelis looking to fatten their pockets at the expense of everyone else--including the legal industry itself. Nobody has the vision to see the bigger picture and address the systemic problems inherent in it. If it weren't for the federal school loan scam/pyramid scheme, the entire legal education industry would go out of business overnight.
Yeah. Are you carrying around a good amount of debt too?

Some of these problems, to be fair, aren't just law. Some of it is just working in general- greedy people, people in control doing things that are unethical, useless theories taught in academia, people in work unwilling to write shit down to teach anyone, Dealing with stupid people, dealing with intelligent people, etc.

To think- now is the BOOM time. What are we going to do if the FED ever raises interest rates?

The previous generation fucked us just about as hard as they could have, it isn't just some made up complaint. That is why so many men are leaving the work force.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:44 pm

asdfdfdfadfas wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Some of these problems, to be fair, aren't just law. Some of it is just working in general- greedy people, people in control doing things that are unethical, useless theories taught in academia, people in work unwilling to write shit down to teach anyone, Dealing with stupid people, dealing with intelligent people, etc.

To think- now is the BOOM time. What are we going to do if the FED ever raises interest rates?

The previous generation fucked us just about as hard as they could have, it isn't just some made up complaint. That is why so many men are leaving the work force.
Very subtle.

asdfdfdfadfas

Silver

Post by asdfdfdfadfas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
asdfdfdfadfas wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Very subtle.
Very Subtle? What are you talking about? I wasn't trying to hide anything. Are you going to send me to the thought police or should I take a timeout in a safe zone and do some thinking to myself :( :(.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2016/08/ ... rking.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Who is Greg Mankiw and why doesn't he post more medians?!?!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:51 pm

poptart123 wrote:Who is Greg Mankiw and why doesn't he post more medians?!?!
the famous economist!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 am

poptart123 wrote:Who is Greg Mankiw and why doesn't he post more medians?!?!
He's ight. Probably the best and most respected free-market economist in public policy right now. He almost got his JD too :)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:26 am

Sorry been away awhile can I get a tl;dr

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”