Engineer with work experience splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Anabil

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Engineer with work experience splitter

Postby Anabil » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello,

I'm new to tls so forgive me if I'm breaking any unwritten rules.

I have a 3.1 Mechanical Engineering UGPA from the university of Michigan Dearborn.

By the time I start (hopefully) law school I would have 3 years (currently 2) of engineering experience at one of the big three auto companies - I'll leave it unnamed (fortune 10) with another year of international experience as an intern.

Scored a 172 on LSAT (considering retaking in sept). What are your thoughts on this?

What are my chances at a T14. I'd love to go to Columbia or NYU specifically.

Anything else outside the T14 seeing as the potential salary won't make up for the opportunity cost in loss of salary from my current position.

Kind Regards
Last edited by Anabil on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anabil

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Re: 3.1 UGPA 172 LSAT

Postby Anabil » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Just to add additional info. I'm not considered URM but I am a minority.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Engineer with work experience splitter

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:46 am

Hey dude, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here's your mylsn.info chart.

Image

CCN looks like hard a hard no to me. If I were in your shoes, especially given your work experience and geography, I'd target Northwestern with a passion. They are splitter friendly, love people with work experience and the location would let you jet back to Dearborn to see the family on some weekends.

Unfortunately, and I can sympathize on all these fronts (being older, with significant work experience and a grad with a tough major but a mediocre GPA), the GPA/LSAT is your biggest admissions factor. Everything else will help come OCI/OGI/EIW time, but for admission purposes, you and I are playing from "behind the 8 ball". So, apply broadly, don't spend too much money on CCN applications and work hard at convincing NU that they are your one-and-only love for life. :lol:

Good luck.

User avatar
TexasENG

Silver
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Engineer with work experience splitter

Postby TexasENG » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:24 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Hey dude, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here's your mylsn.info chart.
CCN looks like hard a hard no to me. If I were in your shoes, especially given your work experience and geography, I'd target Northwestern with a passion. They are splitter friendly, love people with work experience and the location would let you jet back to Dearborn to see the family on some weekends.

Unfortunately, and I can sympathize on all these fronts (being older, with significant work experience and a grad with a tough major but a mediocre GPA), the GPA/LSAT is your biggest admissions factor. Everything else will help come OCI/OGI/EIW time, but for admission purposes, you and I are playing from "behind the 8 ball". So, apply broadly, don't spend too much money on CCN applications and work hard at convincing NU that they are your one-and-only love for life. :lol:

Good luck.


As someone in similar shoes (work experience and Eng Gpa), I would just echo Meerkat and apply broadly. Also make sure the things that you have the ability to control are in really good shape (Personal Statements / Additonal essays). Also try to get at least one LOR from a professor in a class that you did well in to attest to your ability to succeed academically.

While the graph Meerkat linked shows fairly bad results, remember that it is an extremely limited set of data (2-6 per school) over 6 years. Do what you can to try to improve the rest of your app and you can probably make a couple lower T14.

Anabil

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Re: Engineer with work experience splitter

Postby Anabil » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you for the responses. Is it worth retaking the LSAT if my potential improvement will get me a 175?

Really disappointed that Columbia is out of the question.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Engineer with work experience splitter

Postby Nebby » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Anabil wrote:Thank you for the responses. Is it worth retaking the LSAT if my potential improvement will get me a 175?

Really disappointed that Columbia is out of the question.

It's worth it to get 175. Columbia would come into play, as well as some scholarship offers at the lower T14

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Engineer with work experience splitter

Postby Lexaholik » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Anabil wrote:Hello,

I'm new to tls so forgive me if I'm breaking any unwritten rules.

I have a 3.1 Mechanical Engineering UGPA from the university of Michigan Dearborn.

By the time I start (hopefully) law school I would have 3 years (currently 2) of engineering experience at one of the big three auto companies - I'll leave it unnamed (fortune 10) with another year of international experience as an intern.

Scored a 172 on LSAT (considering retaking in sept). What are your thoughts on this?

What are my chances at a T14. I'd love to go to Columbia or NYU specifically.

Anything else outside the T14 seeing as the potential salary won't make up for the opportunity cost in loss of salary from my current position.

Kind Regards


Apply everywhere. I agree that CLS/NYU are long shots. But you should still apply, since you really honestly never know. Casting a wide net and applying everywhere doesn't make sense for everyone necessarily, but it absolutely does for splitters.

You'll probably get into Northwestern at the very least. You may have to sit on the waitlist for a while, but that 172 is too juicy for them to pass up. (I got in off the summer waitlist years ago with a 2.9/170 back when the NU median was 170). You'll also probably get into a handful of other T14s.

Also agree with others who say to re-take the LSAT if you can.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 23 guests