had huge fight with one of my prof. and...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
run26.2

Silver

Re: had huge fight with one of my prof. and...

Postby run26.2 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 pm

If this is how your react to stressful situations and you need consistent feedback, not only will you have troubles in law school, you will struggle in a law job. When you practice as an attorney, it is infrequent that someone tells you how to do your work, even things that are very important and that you have to do your first time. Most often, you have to go find a sample of what has been done before, that's an imperfect exemplar for what you're doing now, and you have to figure out how to modify it. Also, there will be a host of other small details you will have to figure out on your own. If you really want to work in the law, you are going to need a thicker skin and to be able to figure out on your own how to deal with situations where you have imperfect guidance. Sorry to sound harsh, but that's how things go in the industry.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You said you graduated from one US college already. Was that with a bachelor's? Because if so, none of these grades are going to count.

And you're almost certainly reading way too much into Prof A and Prof C's changed attitudes based on something they may or may not have overheard months ago.

It's master degree.
Thanks for the advice...finally could hear something related to my question...
Maybe then I should not "explain" anything to prof A then?
And just ask her to write a letter?
I really like her as a friend and even after graduation hope I can keep in touch with her so...

run26.2 wrote:If this is how your react to stressful situations and you need consistent feedback, not only will you have troubles in law school, you will struggle in a law job. When you practice as an attorney, it is infrequent that someone tells you how to do your work, even things that are very important and that you have to do your first time. Most often, you have to go find a sample of what has been done before, that's an imperfect exemplar for what you're doing now, and you have to figure out how to modify it. Also, there will be a host of other small details you will have to figure out on your own. If you really want to work in the law, you are going to need a thicker skin and to be able to figure out on your own how to deal with situations where you have imperfect guidance. Sorry to sound harsh, but that's how things go in the industry.

Thanks, I'll keep it mind. I don't have a lot of work experience yet so I appreciate harsh but honest opinions.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:04 pm

OP -- ask another person/professor for the rec. I haven't read through all the responses to know how loud the fight was, but if it was so loud that a person in another room might hear it, it was enough of a one off for professor B to tell people about it. Its the same way at any job, if you have a customer that is out of the ordinary, or a situation that is out of the ordinary, you share it with others. If you have gotten to professor A first, it might be a different story, but at this point, professor A only has professor B's version of events (maybe). That version of events may color professor A's opinion about you in some way.

If you have someone else you can ask, that would be much better, IMO.

But if you don't have someone else, than just try to visit with professor A and get a read on them to see how they would feel about writing the rec letter for you. Maybe they hate professor B too

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 pm

First of all, I don't think law school is for you. You say that you're a bad test-taker. Well, your entire grade is generally determined by one exam (or one paper). You receive no feedback all semester.(or next to none) You're not a very good writer. That's a big problem. And you seem very neurotic.(which is kind of normal for law school, unfortunately)

Ultimately, it's your choice. But right now, you don't seem like a good fit for law school.

P.S. Just ask her to write the letter. Say nothing about the fight. If she brings it up, explain what happened. If she says no to writing the letter, go ask someone else. This isn't that hard. I highly highly doubt a professor is going to agree to write you a letter and then write a bad one. Especially when they have nothing to hold against you.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:13 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:OP -- ask another person/professor for the rec. I haven't read through all the responses to know how loud the fight was, but if it was so loud that a person in another room might hear it, it was enough of a one off for professor B to tell people about it. Its the same way at any job, if you have a customer that is out of the ordinary, or a situation that is out of the ordinary, you share it with others. If you have gotten to professor A first, it might be a different story, but at this point, professor A only has professor B's version of events (maybe). That version of events may color professor A's opinion about you in some way.

But if you don't have someone else, than just try to visit with professor A and get a read on them to see how they would feel about writing the rec letter for you. Maybe they hate professor B too

Thank you for your response.
Yeah I should have talked with prof A right after the fight but I had a class and could not stay...
I guess visiting prof A again and tell her what happened is good then...and as you said ask her whether she still wants to write a letter for me.
Maybe I overthink her attitude, but like you said prof B might have told other profs...I heard they usually do not exchange opinions about students but I don't know...

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:16 pm

lawman84 wrote:First of all, I don't think law school is for you. You say that you're a bad test-taker. Well, your entire grade is generally determined by one exam (or one paper). You receive no feedback all semester.(or next to none) You're not a very good writer. That's a big problem. And you seem very neurotic.(which is kind of normal for law school, unfortunately)

Ultimately, it's your choice. But right now, you don't seem like a good fit for law school.

P.S. Just ask her to write the letter. Say nothing about the fight. If she brings it up, explain what happened. If she says no to writing the letter, go ask someone else. This isn't that hard. I highly highly doubt a professor is going to agree to write you a letter and then write a bad one. Especially when they have nothing to hold against you.

All of this. Your masters grades are not going to factor into a law school's decision at all. However, law school is legit a bubble where you have no idea if you actually understand what the professor wants you to understand. And then at the end of the semester there's just one test. And you wont even get feedback on that unless you hunt them down and from what I understand (I never bothered seeking a prof out after an exam) even that feedback is going to be as vanilla as fuck.

You're gonna hate law school more than the average student.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:18 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:Actually the grade is not that bad...and that's why she did not want to change the grade saying it's not bad or even good in her class.
I thought I should get as high grade as possible cuz I'm really not good at test taking...
I mean, if she has reasons why she gave me the grade, I would not say anything but accept it. But she does not explain anything. How can I improve in later class if I don't know where I did bad? I did all my best and dont know how I can do better

This is the part of your post that concerns me the most.

You didn't argue with the professor over a bad grade, but you argued with her because it wasn't the BEST grade.

And saying that you argued with the professor in order to know how to improve in a future class is a little...suspect.....clearly the class was going to involve a lot of subjective grading because it was based on discussions and ungraded 1-2 page essays. Because the grading was so subjective, there is no concrete feedback you could get to improve for another class with anyone other than professor B.

You just basically got into a loud fight with a professor who refused to change an okay grade to the BEST grade....which sounds like a bit of an anger management issue.

When you go to law school, you will have exams......but they will mostly be based on essays.....which are somewhat subjectively graded and are graded on a curve. If you're prone to getting into loud arguments because you're not given the BEST grade when you think you should get it.....I feel like law school might really stress you out.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:25 pm

cocoandcoconuts wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:OP -- ask another person/professor for the rec. I haven't read through all the responses to know how loud the fight was, but if it was so loud that a person in another room might hear it, it was enough of a one off for professor B to tell people about it. Its the same way at any job, if you have a customer that is out of the ordinary, or a situation that is out of the ordinary, you share it with others. If you have gotten to professor A first, it might be a different story, but at this point, professor A only has professor B's version of events (maybe). That version of events may color professor A's opinion about you in some way.

Yeah I should have talked with prof A right after the fight but I had a class and could not stay...
I guess visiting prof A again and tell her what happened is good then...and as you said ask her whether she still wants to write a letter for me.
Maybe I overthink her attitude, but like you said prof B might have told other profs...I heard they usually do not exchange opinions about students but I don't know...

I probably wouldn't bring it up unless you had to, just feel out professor A and ask her for the recommendation. If you're feeling resistance/pushback and you have no one else to ask....than do what another poster said and explain it to professor A in the guise of "asking for advice" on how to apologize to professor B. You can't look like you are trying to defend your actions, so taking the approach that involves humility is probably best. So IF you feel some pushback from professor A, bring it up, but more like "you know, I got into this argument with professor B, and even though its been months Itjust feel terrible about it......I was just under so much pressure and stress because I really wanted to be able to get great grades for law school....do you think I should apologize at this point?"

I think professors do share stories about particular students....especially if its an extraordinary situation. And it happens in law school too....professors talk and students end up with a reputation.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:33 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:Actually the grade is not that bad...and that's why she did not want to change the grade saying it's not bad or even good in her class.
I thought I should get as high grade as possible cuz I'm really not good at test taking...
I mean, if she has reasons why she gave me the grade, I would not say anything but accept it. But she does not explain anything. How can I improve in later class if I don't know where I did bad? I did all my best and dont know how I can do better

You didn't argue with the professor over a bad grade, but you argued with her because it wasn't the BEST grade.

And saying that you argued with the professor in order to know how to improve in a future class is a little...suspect.....clearly the class was going to involve a lot of subjective grading because it was based on discussions and ungraded 1-2 page essays. Because the grading was so subjective, there is no concrete feedback you could get to improve for another class with anyone other than professor B.

You just basically got into a loud fight with a professor who refused to change an okay grade to the BEST grade....which sounds like a bit of an anger management issue.

When you go to law school, you will have exams......but they will mostly be based on essays.....which are somewhat subjectively graded and are graded on a curve. If you're prone to getting into loud arguments because you're not given the BEST grade when you think you should get it.....I feel like law school might really stress you out.

I usually do ok at essays so that's another reason I was so...shocked. I didn't know where I did wrong.
(not my writing or grammar but contents I mean...I know I have to improve a lot on my writing...)
Good to know how law school classes work btw..

rcharter1978 wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:

I probably wouldn't bring it up unless you had to, just feel out professor A and ask her for the recommendation. If you're feeling resistance/pushback and you have no one else to ask....than do what another poster said and explain it to professor A in the guise of "asking for advice" on how to apologize to professor B. You can't look like you are trying to defend your actions, so taking the approach that involves humility is probably best. So IF you feel some pushback from professor A, bring it up, but more like "you know, I got into this argument with professor B, and even though its been months Itjust feel terrible about it......I was just under so much pressure and stress because I really wanted to be able to get great grades for law school....do you think I should apologize at this point?"

I think professors do share stories about particular students....especially if its an extraordinary situation. And it happens in law school too....professors talk and students end up with a reputation.

That's exactly what I was worried about...because we usually hug and she gives me a big smile whenever I saw her, but when I saw her today it's like..she was still smiling but I felt it's different. I don't know maybe I am overthinking...
I have to see her in fall again, so I think the way you suggest is better...though I really don't want to see prof B's face...just makes me feel upset...plus if she shared the story with prof C, and other profs, I feel like everyone in my department will see me differently now.
and I don't know how to fix it...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 pm

this is super weird

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:27 pm

protip: you can do everything right, and to the best of your ability, and you're still likely not to be the best at something. you'll probably be average.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:53 pm

I just wanted to know where I can improve/how to improve, and that was the reason I went to prof and talk.
Why is it so bad to ask that to professors? we are still students and learning is something students have to do right?
Or maybe it's just different cultures? I don't know, but it's interesting to see there are many ppl post replies or even attack one without answering someone's question...

AntsInMyEyesJohnson

New

Postby AntsInMyEyesJohnson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:01 am

jbagelboy wrote:this is super weird

This was my first response, too. It seems like all other responses are superfluous.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:43 am

cocoandcoconuts wrote:I just wanted to know where I can improve/how to improve, and that was the reason I went to prof and talk.
Why is it so bad to ask that to professors? we are still students and learning is something students have to do right?
Or maybe it's just different cultures? I don't know, but it's interesting to see there are many ppl post replies or even attack one without answering someone's question...

Its not weird to go to the professor for feedback.....it is weird that it ended in a loud fight. Especially since it doesn't sound like you got a bad grade, just not the BEST grade

Be that as it may, whats done is done...if I were in your shoes my plan of attack would be

1. Try to find someone else to write the lette
2. If you can't find anyone else to write the letter, then meet with Professor A and feel her out
3. If you feel like Professor A is acting weird, or if she is hesitatant to write the letter then e bring up the fight under the guise of asking for advice from Professor A on how to apologize to Professor B.....DO NOT bring it up like you're trying to defend your behavior.

As for other cultures, I don't know...my parents are foreign, and we were ALWAYS taught to be super deferential to professors/teachers.

I wish you luck......I hope it all works out well for you!

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:56 am

cocoandcoconuts wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

I usually do ok at essays so that's another reason I was so...shocked. I didn't know where I did wrong.
(not my writing or grammar but contents I mean...I know I have to improve a lot on my writing...)

rcharter1978 wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:

That's exactly what I was worried about...because we usually hug and she gives me a big smile whenever I saw her, but when I saw her today it's like..she was still smiling but I felt it's different. I don't know maybe I am overthinking...
I have to see her in fall again, so I think the way you suggest is better...though I really don't want to see prof B's face...just makes me feel upset...plus if she shared the story with prof C, and other profs, I feel like everyone in my department will see me differently now.

Humility.....apologize and explain yourself.

From Professor B's point of view, she was probably super confused as to why you were getting so upset. She didn't fail you.....it doesn't even sound like she gave you a C. She probably gave you an average grade and had no idea why it upset you so much.

I know that Professor B was being difficult, but getting into an argument wasn't the right way to go about it. I think apologizing to Professor B would go a long way. Just explain your situation....don't get defensive. Just explain that grades are super important to you, because you are aspiring to get into law school, and so you tried really hard in her class so that you could get the best grade. While the grade she gave you may have seemed fine to her, it stressed you out because you need as many A's as you can get to counteract your difficulty testing.

So you say that you let the stress get to you and it ended in an argument, and you apologize.

And right now....whats done is done, the best you can do is try to fix it. Really try hard not to lose your temper like that again.

And next time you have a class with super subjective grading, go to see the professor after the first week so you can ask them what you can do to get the grade you want.

Chris4943

New

Postby Chris4943 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:06 am

cocoandcoconuts wrote:I just wanted to know where I can improve/how to improve, and that was the reason I went to prof and talk.

No it's not. You went to try and coerce her into giving you a better grade.

It's not bad at all. It's encouraged. If that's all you had done there would obviously be no problem.
Or maybe it's just different cultures?

Perhaps. In your culture is it considered acceptable to fight with a professor and then lie about your motivations and actions months later on an internet forum? If so, then yes.
I don't know

Understatement
but it's interesting to see there are many ppl post replies or even attack one without answering someone's question...

Right back to passive aggressively lying about your intentions and feelings. You obviously don't find it 'interesting' so don't say that you do.
When did you move here from the Middle East?

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:08 am

rcharter1978 wrote:

Its not weird to go to the professor for feedback.....it is weird that it ended in a loud fight. Especially since it doesn't sound like you got a bad grade, just not the BEST grade

Be that as it may, whats done is done...if I were in your shoes my plan of attack would be

1. Try to find someone else to write the lette
2. If you can't find anyone else to write the letter, then meet with Professor A and feel her out
3. If you feel like Professor A is acting weird, or if she is hesitatant to write the letter then e bring up the fight under the guise of asking for advice from Professor A on how to apologize to Professor B.....DO NOT bring it up like you're trying to defend your behavior.

As for other cultures, I don't know...my parents are foreign, and we were ALWAYS taught to be super deferential to professors/teachers.

I wish you luck......I hope it all works out well for you!

rcharter1978 wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

rcharter1978 wrote:
cocoandcoconuts wrote:

Humility.....apologize and explain yourself.

From Professor B's point of view, she was probably super confused as to why you were getting so upset. She didn't fail you.....it doesn't even sound like she gave you a C. She probably gave you an average grade and had no idea why it upset you so much.

I know that Professor B was being difficult, but getting into an argument wasn't the right way to go about it. I think apologizing to Professor B would go a long way. Just explain your situation....don't get defensive. Just explain that grades are super important to you, because you are aspiring to get into law school, and so you tried really hard in her class so that you could get the best grade. While the grade she gave you may have seemed fine to her, it stressed you out because you need as many A's as you can get to counteract your difficulty testing.

So you say that you let the stress get to you and it ended in an argument, and you apologize.

And right now....whats done is done, the best you can do is try to fix it. Really try hard not to lose your temper like that again.

And next time you have a class with super subjective grading, go to see the professor after the first week so you can ask them what you can do to get the grade you want.

Thank you for the advice.
The only thing I'm worried now is whether even prof B wants to see me and give me a chance to apologize. She may refuse to see me..
What should I do in that case?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:23 am

cocoandcoconuts wrote:Thank you for the advice.
The only thing I'm worried now is whether even prof B wants to see me and give me a chance to apologize. She may refuse to see me..
What should I do in that case?

Discover the hard truth in life that not everything revolves around you and your desires.

But what do I know? Try yelling again. That worked the first time.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 am

OP, as others have said, just ask the recommendation prof for your letter and see what happens. If they say no, then explain to them the fight that happened if they want to know. The worst outcome is that you just try to get another recommender, if you do have someone else in mind, that is.

Also, it's ok to disagree with professors on things, it happens. But getting into a heated, loud and verbal argument with your professor comes off as immature. Especially if it's about not getting "the best grade".

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:24 am

TheMikey wrote:OP, as others have said, just ask the recommendation prof for your letter and see what happens. If they say no, then explain to them the fight that happened if they want to know. The worst outcome is that you just try to get another recommender, if you do have someone else in mind, that is.

Also, it's ok to disagree with professors on things, it happens. But getting into a heated, loud and verbal argument with your professor comes off as immature. Especially if it's about not getting "the best grade".

Thank you,
I think I will actually tell her the story without saying prof B's name.
And ask her advice.
cuz I feel she heard smt about me...so just want to let her know my side of the story. I want to be honest with prof A, so if she says she is no longer able to write a letter for me, that's fine...
And yeah, I will try not to get heated next time, in fact I didn't mean to get heated up that day neither, and I don't even remember why I yelled...maybe her attitude toward we students?
Felt disrespected or smt I don't know.
I have to admit I was so immature...thanks for the advice.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 am

cocoandcoconuts wrote:
TheMikey wrote:OP, as others have said, just ask the recommendation prof for your letter and see what happens. If they say no, then explain to them the fight that happened if they want to know. The worst outcome is that you just try to get another recommender, if you do have someone else in mind, that is.

Thank you,
I think I will actually tell her the story without saying prof B's name.
And ask her advice.
cuz I feel she heard smt about me...so just want to let her know my side of the story. I want to be honest with prof A, so if she says she is no longer able to write a letter for me, that's fine...
And yeah, I will try not to get heated next time, in fact I didn't mean to get heated up that day neither, and I don't even remember why I yelled...maybe her attitude toward we students?
Felt disrespected or smt I don't know.
I have to admit I was so immature...thanks for the advice.

Rather than concerning yourself with things like recommendation letters, focus on improving your writing and learning how to control your anger. You're right; you were immature. Learn from it and move on.

ETA: Have you taken your LSATs? You say you're a bad test-taker. I would work on studying your ass off for this test

nick417

Bronze

Postby nick417 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:16 am

Two points:

1. I disagree with the people attacking you and saying you are not prepared for law school. Your actions sound like half of my law school class after every exam. (a) they don't understand their final grade; (b) they claim they knew the material and studied; (c) they received little to no feedback from the professor during the semester; (d) they speak to the professor; (e) the professor goes over the exam and provides little to no feedback.... etc. the only thing missing is your bizarre argument with the professor. That is a new one.

2. Why the extreme overreaction regarding letters of recommendation? Do you actually think these matter? I am not really sure why law schools even require them anymore. I assume there isn't much data regarding the strength of a LOR and its effect on your application. Thus, I will give my uninformed assumption based on my perception of law school admissions: it matters very little. Thus, get anyone with a pulse who knows you to write a LoR. Another professor. An employer, etc. If not, volunteer somewhere for a couple months and ask your supervisor to write an LoR. Seriously, the LoR should be the least of your worries. Crushing the LSAT is all that matters.

cocoandcoconuts

New

Postby cocoandcoconuts » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:28 am

nick417 wrote:Two points:

1. I disagree with the people attacking you and saying you are not prepared for law school. Your actions sound like half of my law school class after every exam. (a) they don't understand their final grade; (b) they claim they knew the material and studied; (c) they received little to no feedback from the professor during the semester; (d) they speak to the professor; (e) the professor goes over the exam and provides little to no feedback.... etc. the only thing missing is your bizarre argument with the professor. That is a new one.

2. Why the extreme overreaction regarding letters of recommendation? Do you actually think these matter? I am not really sure why law schools even require them anymore. I assume there isn't much data regarding the strength of a LOR and its effect on your application. Thus, I will give my uninformed assumption based on my perception of law school admissions: it matters very little. Thus, get anyone with a pulse who knows you to write a LoR. Another professor. An employer, etc. If not, volunteer somewhere for a couple months and ask your supervisor to write an LoR. Seriously, the LoR should be the least of your worries. Crushing the LSAT is all that matters.

Good to hear from law student...
Yeah, I have never argued with profs or teachers before. and didn't want to argue with her neither but she was just...so different. I totally understand why all of my classmates or 2nd year students hate her...but I think I should just take this as a lesson. There could be any kind of prof, but shouldnt argue with them or at least control my temper.
I will focus on the test...thanks. I don't know, if other profs heard smt from prof B too, they will see me differently I guess.
So still prof A is the best prof I assume...I don't know. I'll see if I can find a prof in fall.

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Postby Danny Mothers » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:07 pm

On the off chance this isn't fake: do NOT bring up this "fight" with prof. A unless asked. Just ask for the letter of rec. If she says no or expresses concern about this fight, THEN you can try to explain yourself or promise to make amends. But if she agrees to write the letter, who cares? Just let it go.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:20 pm

This is no way to live

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�