Dead Fraternity Friend C&F Disclosure?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cantyoloforever

Bronze

Dead Fraternity Friend C&F Disclosure?

Postby cantyoloforever » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:49 pm

My freshman year, one of my fraternity brothers died from alcohol poisoning. I personally was not involved in the incident whatsoever, but my fraternity did lose its charter. Is that something I would disclose on C&F?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Dead Fraternity Friend C&F Disclosure?

Postby kellyfrost » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:15 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:My freshman year, one of my fraternity brothers died from alcohol poisoning. I personally was not involved in the incident whatsoever, but my fraternity did lose its charter. Is that something I would disclose on C&F?

This probably depends on the specific wording of the question you are looking to answer on the application. Absent language that you feel would require you to disclose it, it isn't something that you should feel compelled to disclose.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:39 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:My freshman year, one of my fraternity brothers died from alcohol poisoning. I personally was not involved in the incident whatsoever, but my fraternity did lose its charter. Is that something I would disclose on C&F?

This probably depends on the specific wording of the question you are looking to answer on the application. Absent language that you feel would require you to disclose it, it isn't something that you should feel compelled to disclose.

I can't access character & fitness questions until applications open, correct?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:50 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

I can't access character & fitness questions until applications open, correct?

I believe that to be correct.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HangingAround

Bronze

Postby HangingAround » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Definitely not

mabes

New

Postby mabes » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Naw

bwh8813

Bronze

Postby bwh8813 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Only if you were part of the butt-chugging fraternity at Tennessee.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Wtf
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Postby jdmonkey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:38 pm

If you were part of a fraternity that was banned by the school, I would think that would be considered discipline by the school. You had no choice but to leave the fraternity due to the disciplinary action of the university. I don't know what else you would call the university's actions if not some sort of sanction or discipline.

It is also so minor compared to what other people have for C&F that I don't see the downside of disclosing.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:34 pm

jdmonkey wrote:If you were part of a fraternity that was banned by the school, I would think that would be considered discipline by the school. You had no choice but to leave the fraternity due to the disciplinary action of the university. I don't know what else you would call the university's actions if not some sort of sanction or discipline.

It is also so minor compared to what other people have for C&F that I don't see the downside of disclosing.

I'm more worried about how it ties into my overall C&F fitness history; the very next year (Sophomore year of college) I received disciplinary action from the university for taking a girl to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. And now I work at a craft brewery as a marketing manager, so I'm anxious that schools will think I'm some out of control booze hound (or that I surround myself with them).

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 pm

what kind of puritanical nightmare of a school take disciplinary action for taking someone to the hospital?

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 pm

pancakes3 wrote:what kind of puritanical nightmare of a school take disciplinary action for taking someone to the hospital?

Probably most of them. They feel the need to show they've "done something" when a kid dies of alcohol poisoning.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:21 pm

So....nothing to worry about then?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 pm

jdmonkey wrote:If you were part of a fraternity that was banned by the school, I would think that would be considered discipline by the school. You had no choice but to leave the fraternity due to the disciplinary action of the university. I don't know what else you would call the university's actions if not some sort of sanction or discipline.

nah thats guilty by association shit. Maybe if he were part of the planning committee taht bought the booze or something.

My lawfirm got pwnd for a conflicts violation, that doesn't mean i did.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:29 pm

pancakes3 wrote:what kind of puritanical nightmare of a school take disciplinary action for taking someone to the hospital?

I don't think schools will see this as a C&F issue when you disclose it. They'll more than likely think this, and wonder why you weren't given an award for saving someone's life.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:31 pm

I'd assume that he is sugar coating the fuck out that.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd assume that he is sugar coating the fuck out that.

Deleted
Last edited by cantyoloforever on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

nah thats guilty by association shit. Maybe if he were part of the planning committee taht bought the booze or something.

My lawfirm got pwnd for a conflicts violation, that doesn't mean i did.

Yeah, I was just a noob freshman along for the ride

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�