Resume Gap for HYS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paperworkjim

New

Resume Gap for HYS?

Postby paperworkjim » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:26 am

Hi all,

I am going to be applying aggressively this next cycle for HYS and I was wondering if any of these schools had explicit policies on resume gaps, or whether this more generally matters for law school admissions. At most, this gap would be around 7-8 months, but I believe at the very least it would be around 6 months. Would a part-time job suffice during this time period? Thank you!

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Re: Resume Gap for HYS?

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:47 am

Yes a part time job will be fine especially if you use that time to put together solid applications and study for the LSAT (assuming you haven't taken it yet). Doesn't even really have to be a job, you could also volunteer in the community or do something similar as well. If you have competitive numbers, I would highly doubt that a 6 month gap in your resume will be what makes or breaks your application. Best of luck OP

Indifference

Silver

Postby Indifference » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 am

paperworkjim wrote:Hi all,

I am going to be applying aggressively this next cycle for HYS and I was wondering if any of these schools had explicit policies on resume gaps, or whether this more generally matters for law school admissions. At most, this gap would be around 7-8 months, but I believe at the very least it would be around 6 months. Would a part-time job suffice during this time period? Thank you!

I took 9 months off between undergrad and law school. When asked why, I said because I wanted a long vacation. Didn't matter.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:48 pm

It's negligible and unlikely that the schools will care very much, even HYS. Work experience is a soft factor, and a really impressive position can gain the attention of admissions committees, but ultimately it's almost definitely not going to make or break your application. Also, if you had a part-time job, then it's not exactly a 'gap,' now is it? Anyway, GPA, LSAT, and your personal statement all matter a lot more than this.

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:38 am

I did not apply to all three of these schools but I am attending Harvard. I applied a few months after I graduated and had only been doing some volunteering since leaving university. By the time I had interviewed with them it had been about six months of volunteering. It did not come across as a big deal at all. During my interview I was asked to explain what I had been doing with my time off, but I know that others were asked that (who had significant work experience). So it didn't seem like something tailored to me due to a concern that the admissions staff had. And of a 15 minute interview it was maybe the focus for 30 seconds-a minute?

I do think it's a good idea to do SOMETHING. But that something does not have to be formal employment. I would just make sure you have a good answer for why it is you chose to do what you are doing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�