Any T-14/T-20 schools that just don't give out fee waivers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

Any T-14/T-20 schools that just don't give out fee waivers?

Postby brinicolec » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:11 am

As we near the start of the cycle, I've started to look at different law school sites specifically for their info on requesting fee waivers because, after calculating how much I might have to pay total to apply all the places on my list I realized I'm gonna have to cross my fingers for some more fee waivers. Figured I would save myself some trouble by asking if there's any schools that are known to not give out fee waivers (I'm not TFA or a military vet --- even though I was a military dependent until I graduated college in May :roll:). So far, it looks like UChicago might not be too keen on giving fee waivers that are solicited and I've been wondering about NYU as well. It also looks like Columbia only does the LSAC waivers, not one through their school, based on their site -- can anyone confirm/deny this?

gsy987

Bronze

Re: Any T-14/T-20 schools that just don't give out fee waivers?

Postby gsy987 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:17 am

Unless I'm highly mistaken, I think a lot depends on your LSAT score and where it falls in range with the law school you want to attend. I have heard that U of Chicago isn't big on fee waivers, but I'd bet you could find someone who has received one if you asked around enough!

One pro-tip is to go to a law school fair if you get the chance. I went to one in Chicago last year, and a good amount of schools were handing out fee waivers like candy (I particularly remember UVA doing this!) The fair itself is almost useless, but hey, if it saves you $300 bucks in fee waivers, couldn't hurt to make a trip to one :D

mollywood

New

Postby mollywood » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:45 am

I know that Columbia is known to give non-need-based unsolicited fee waivers, but I don't know about solicited ones.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Postby theconsigliere » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:03 am

brinicolec wrote:As we near the start of the cycle, I've started to look at different law school sites specifically for their info on requesting fee waivers because, after calculating how much I might have to pay total to apply all the places on my list I realized I'm gonna have to cross my fingers for some more fee waivers. Figured I would save myself some trouble by asking if there's any schools that are known to not give out fee waivers (I'm not TFA or a military vet --- even though I was a military dependent until I graduated college in May :roll:). So far, it looks like UChicago might not be too keen on giving fee waivers that are solicited and I've been wondering about NYU as well. It also looks like Columbia only does the LSAC waivers, not one through their school, based on their site -- can anyone confirm/deny this?

No fee waivers for HYS (need based only through LSAC). Tip: don't let $70 be the difference between applying to a school in your GPA/LSAT range. I ended up not applying to a few T14s (and applying late to a few others) because I didn't want to spend the money, and I realize now how big a mistake it was.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 am

theconsigliere wrote:No fee waivers for HYS (need based only through LSAC). Tip: don't let $70 be the difference between applying to a school in your GPA/LSAT range. I ended up not applying to a few T14s (and applying late to a few others) because I didn't want to spend the money, and I realize now how big a mistake it was.

I was thinking of doing a couple "waves" of applications if I can't get a good amt of fee waivers and applying to my top schools first, then waiting for some bank acct replenishment before going for the second round, but still aiming to have it all done by the end of November. Is that too late?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks all! Anyone know about NYU?

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:29 am

I asked everywhere I applied except for HYS for fee waivers. Some responded to my email with a waiver (think UVA, Duke, and Georgetown were in this bucket) and others told me to look for them through the LSAC CAS and I saw them come through there (everywhere else I got one including NYU since you asked about them specifically). In short, definitely ask for waivers because there is no downside.

Like consigliere said, HYS does need based waivers only. Berkeley also does not do fee waivers unless you meet certain criteria (can't remember exactly but think this is TFA, veteran, etc.). Also agree with consigliere that you shouldn't let $70 be the difference in whether or not to apply to a school. I bit the bullet and paid for a few apps after a while and I was glad I did when it came time to negotiate.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Postby theconsigliere » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:49 am

brinicolec wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:No fee waivers for HYS (need based only through LSAC). Tip: don't let $70 be the difference between applying to a school in your GPA/LSAT range. I ended up not applying to a few T14s (and applying late to a few others) because I didn't want to spend the money, and I realize now how big a mistake it was.

I was thinking of doing a couple "waves" of applications if I can't get a good amt of fee waivers and applying to my top schools first, then waiting for some bank acct replenishment before going for the second round, but still aiming to have it all done by the end of November. Is that too late?

General rule of thumb is that before Thanksgiving is early/on time. But the earlier the better. If you literally can't afford to send them all in at once (no shame in that - I was the same way) then what you said is a good idea.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:14 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

General rule of thumb is that before Thanksgiving is early/on time. But the earlier the better. If you literally can't afford to send them all in at once (no shame in that - I was the same way) then what you said is a good idea.

Or, start saving right now to cover those application fees in September/October - If you haven't already started doing that.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:21 pm

bmathers wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Or, start saving right now to cover those application fees in September/October - If you haven't already started doing that.

Currently not working/moving across the country.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Postby pizzagoblin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:58 pm

gsy987 wrote:Unless I'm highly mistaken, I think a lot depends on your LSAT score and where it falls in range with the law school you want to attend. I have heard that U of Chicago isn't big on fee waivers, but I'd bet you could find someone who has received one if you asked around enough!

One pro-tip is to go to a law school fair if you get the chance. I went to one in Chicago last year, and a good amount of schools were handing out fee waivers like candy (I particularly remember UVA doing this!) The fair itself is almost useless, but hey, if it saves you $300 bucks in fee waivers, couldn't hurt to make a trip to one :D

Chiming in to say UChicago sent me an unsolicited fee waiver last cycle, but it came in January. The amount of potential scholarships you could get for applying early is much higher than the $70 application fees, so don't wait too long for a waiver before applying.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�