When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby PDX4343 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi all.
I reached out to an instructor to write me a letter of recommendation about a month ago and she agreed to. I haven't heard back yet, which is fine, but I was just wondering at what point should I check-in with her to make sure she didn't forget. As a splitter, I want to apply as soon as applications open, but that still leaves another month for her to get this written. I just want to make sure if she did forget, that she still has enough space to take her time writing the letter before turning it in.

Have any of you experienced a similar situation? When would you recommend I reach out?

Thanks!

Caligrown

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby Caligrown » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:35 pm

I'd say in a week (actually anytime between now and 2 weeks before applications open), write a polite letter thanking her for taking the time to write the LOR. Subtle messages are better in this case rather than direct messages inquiring about whether she has written it or not.

I had a scenario where my LOR person wrote the letter but for some reason, it did not go through on the LSAC page so adcomms were looking at a blank PDF. I was notified in February and thus, ended up applying late into the cycle even though everything had been submitted.. Can't get worse than this.

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby PDX4343 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:36 pm

Caligrown wrote:I'd say in a week, write a polite letter thanking her for taking the time to write the LOR. Subtle messages are better in this case rather than direct messages inquiring about whether she has written it or not.

I had a scenario where my LOR wrote the letter but for some reason, it did not go through on the LSAC page so adcomms were receiving a blank PDF. I was notified in February and thus, ended up applying late into the cycle even though everything had been submitted.. Can't get worse than this.



Ouch. That's rough. That sounds like a good time frame though. Thanks for your response.

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby bretby » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:22 pm

PDX4343 wrote:Hi all.
I reached out to an instructor to write me a letter of recommendation about a month ago and she agreed to. I haven't heard back yet, which is fine, but I was just wondering at what point should I check-in with her to make sure she didn't forget. As a splitter, I want to apply as soon as applications open, but that still leaves another month for her to get this written. I just want to make sure if she did forget, that she still has enough space to take her time writing the letter before turning it in.

Have any of you experienced a similar situation? When would you recommend I reach out?

Thanks!


I would check in now - she may have forgotten and you want to give her a chance to do it before the semester starts and things get hectic.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 am

I am actually in a similar boat. I was wondering exactly how to word my follow up. I don't want to be rude or pushy but I also don't want to pretend I'm not inquring about a status update on the letter...I feel like the professor will see right through that. I am far away from the professor so I can email him which is good...I get to really plan out what I want to say. Any suggestions?

Also...as I was writing this I realized I am probably thinking WAAAAYY to much into this. Ah yes. The joys of type A living.

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby bretby » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:46 am

ashrice13 wrote:I am actually in a similar boat. I was wondering exactly how to word my follow up. I don't want to be rude or pushy but I also don't want to pretend I'm not inquring about a status update on the letter...I feel like the professor will see right through that. I am far away from the professor so I can email him which is good...I get to really plan out what I want to say. Any suggestions?

Also...as I was writing this I realized I am probably thinking WAAAAYY to much into this. Ah yes. The joys of type A living.


How about this:

Dear Professor X,

Thank you so much for agreeing to write me a recommendation letter for law school - I have learned a lot from you and appreciate your taking this time on my behalf. I have attached my updated resume, a draft of my personal statement and a paper from X class, as well as information on how to submit the letter. If you need any more materials from me, please let me know and I'll happily send them along.

Thanks again!

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby PDX4343 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:08 pm

bretby wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:I am actually in a similar boat. I was wondering exactly how to word my follow up. I don't want to be rude or pushy but I also don't want to pretend I'm not inquring about a status update on the letter...I feel like the professor will see right through that. I am far away from the professor so I can email him which is good...I get to really plan out what I want to say. Any suggestions?

Also...as I was writing this I realized I am probably thinking WAAAAYY to much into this. Ah yes. The joys of type A living.


How about this:

Dear Professor X,

Thank you so much for agreeing to write me a recommendation letter for law school - I have learned a lot from you and appreciate your taking this time on my behalf. I have attached my updated resume, a draft of my personal statement and a paper from X class, as well as information on how to submit the letter. If you need any more materials from me, please let me know and I'll happily send them along.

Thanks again!


This might work. I was probably going to write something like...

Dear Professor X,

Thanks again for taking the time to write me a letter of recommendation. I really enjoyed your class, and felt I learned a lot from you, so your writing me a letter of recommendation continues to mean a lot. I know you're very busy, so I just wanted to email you a reminder that the letter is due [whenever you want the letter by]. If anything's come up since you agreed to write the letter, and you don't feel you'll be able to complete it by then, it's no problem at all. Feel free to let me know.

Anyways, thanks again and I hope you're having a great summer.

- Signature

galadriel3019

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby galadriel3019 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:01 am

I don't know how long it's been since you last spoke. But if an appropriate amount of time had passed, I'd check in with a "thanks again for doing this, and please let me know if you need additional information from me/my resume". This always was well received because what you are doing is offering them any help you can provide, so you are coming off as responsible, appreciative, and supportive.


ashrice13 wrote:I am actually in a similar boat. I was wondering exactly how to word my follow up. I don't want to be rude or pushy but I also don't want to pretend I'm not inquring about a status update on the letter...I feel like the professor will see right through that. I am far away from the professor so I can email him which is good...I get to really plan out what I want to say. Any suggestions?

Also...as I was writing this I realized I am probably thinking WAAAAYY to much into this. Ah yes. The joys of type A living.

galadriel3019

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby galadriel3019 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:03 am

I would not put "anyways" as a closing for an email to a professor. Unless you are related to them or something crazy it just seems far too casual especially as you communicate about something as formal as a law school application.



PDX4343 wrote:
bretby wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:I am actually in a similar boat. I was wondering exactly how to word my follow up. I don't want to be rude or pushy but I also don't want to pretend I'm not inquring about a status update on the letter...I feel like the professor will see right through that. I am far away from the professor so I can email him which is good...I get to really plan out what I want to say. Any suggestions?

Also...as I was writing this I realized I am probably thinking WAAAAYY to much into this. Ah yes. The joys of type A living.


How about this:

Dear Professor X,

Thank you so much for agreeing to write me a recommendation letter for law school - I have learned a lot from you and appreciate your taking this time on my behalf. I have attached my updated resume, a draft of my personal statement and a paper from X class, as well as information on how to submit the letter. If you need any more materials from me, please let me know and I'll happily send them along.

Thanks again!


This might work. I was probably going to write something like...

Dear Professor X,

Thanks again for taking the time to write me a letter of recommendation. I really enjoyed your class, and felt I learned a lot from you, so your writing me a letter of recommendation continues to mean a lot. I know you're very busy, so I just wanted to email you a reminder that the letter is due [whenever you want the letter by]. If anything's come up since you agreed to write the letter, and you don't feel you'll be able to complete it by then, it's no problem at all. Feel free to let me know.

Anyways, thanks again and I hope you're having a great summer.

- Signature

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: When should I check-in with a LOR writer?

Postby PDX4343 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah you're probably right about not closing with "anyways".



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests