Is Law School a Realistic Goal?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BCEagles2014

New

Is Law School a Realistic Goal?

Postby BCEagles2014 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:01 pm

I graduated from Boston College in 2014 with a major in Communications and a concentration in Pre-Law. I had a terrible freshman year, getting a sub-2.0 GPA in both semesters. In hindsight, I entered college much too young (17 years old) and was not mature enough to handle my newfound freedom. I went into a deep state of depression going into my sophomore year, as I was mortified that I went from a perfect student in high school to one near the bottom of my class in college. I felt hopeless and that all my future aspirations were ruined.

After another terrible first semester in my sophomore year, I sought help. I went to counseling 2-3 times a week and worked diligently on improving myself. My grades improved slowly over time, but more importantly I overcame my depression and felt happy with my life for the first time in a while. I admittedly could have done better, but for my final 2 years in college I earned no lower than 3.0's in each semester. I formed good relationships with professors and learned a valuable lesson: to be diligent in my studies not to get the "A", but instead to become a more knowledgable person.

After graduating from BC, I worked for a telecom consulting firm and was promoted quickly in my short 1.5 years there. I managed a Sales Enablement division at the company, which launched me into my current role as the Sales Enablement Manager at a mobile tech startup in Manhattan. I am very happy with my job and how I am progressing, but I am ready to continue my education and pursue my aspirations for law school.

Despite my personal and academic progress, that is not reflected at all in my final GPA of a little over 2.6. I have always wanted to go to law school and performed very well in my law classes at BC. But I've been hesitant to even apply to any schools since graduating for fear of rejection because of my terrible GPA. I often ask myself if it is even worth it? I've been taking practice LSAT's and scoring 160+, one time scoring a 172.

Law school is a huge investment and as someone who already is paying off sizable student loans from undergrad, I want to know if I can get into a good law school that will give a ROI that will be worth it. Will my work experience, albeit brief, plus a potentially high LSAT score help get me into a school that is worth the investment? Although I went through a terrible experience, I don't regret it as it had a profound impact on shaping me into the person I am today. My only concern is that the stupid decisions I made at 17-18 years old will forever haunt me. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice as I look to make the next step in my life. Thank you in advance!

Sweetneers

New

Re: Is Law School a Realistic Goal?

Postby Sweetneers » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Life advice: Anything is a realistic goal if you hustle enough.

It's going to be hard. I would register for the LSAT, study hard, and get a real score to work with. Then apply far and wide and hope for a full ride.

You won't be at a T14 with your GPA, most likely. T50 seems possible with a high enough LSAT.

njdevils2626

Bronze

Postby njdevils2626 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Study hard and get a 170+. If you can do that, you'll probably get some traction at splitter-friendly schools. Your GPA will likely be disqualifying from the best splitter-friendly schools, like UVA or Northwestern, but WUSTL and a few others will likely be in play. Any school to which you'll be admitted that will also make sense financially is likely to be a regional school, so look at the numbers on LST and make sure that the school is in a market you would be comfortable practicing long-term.

Best of luck

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm

If you have a good career you like, I wouldn't do this because it's going to be a lot of work to get somewhere you might already be.

That said, I had a horrendous college GPA ~2.0 and got into a law school where my peers have made what I would consider successful legal careers out of pretty shit circumstances through lots of hustle.

Focus on the LSAT, see what you get, and then reassess with more complete information knowing what schools you can attend. If you have a good career, you should not attend law school period, not even T14.

Leagles5161

Bronze

Postby Leagles5161 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:45 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:If you have a good career you like, I wouldn't do this because it's going to be a lot of work to get somewhere you might already be.

+1

You are very happy with your job and say you're the healthiest you have been in a long time. Personally, I wouldn't mess with that. The grass isn't always greener my friend

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 pm

law is a brutal career for people who struggle with depression or have a history of it. something to think about.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:57 pm

BCEagles2014 wrote:I graduated from Boston College in 2014 with a major in Communications and a concentration in Pre-Law. I had a terrible freshman year, getting a sub-2.0 GPA in both semesters. In hindsight, I entered college much too young (17 years old) and was not mature enough to handle my newfound freedom. I went into a deep state of depression going into my sophomore year, as I was mortified that I went from a perfect student in high school to one near the bottom of my class in college. I felt hopeless and that all my future aspirations were ruined.

After another terrible first semester in my sophomore year, I sought help. I went to counseling 2-3 times a week and worked diligently on improving myself. My grades improved slowly over time, but more importantly I overcame my depression and felt happy with my life for the first time in a while. I admittedly could have done better, but for my final 2 years in college I earned no lower than 3.0's in each semester. I formed good relationships with professors and learned a valuable lesson: to be diligent in my studies not to get the "A", but instead to become a more knowledgable person.

After graduating from BC, I worked for a telecom consulting firm and was promoted quickly in my short 1.5 years there. I managed a Sales Enablement division at the company, which launched me into my current role as the Sales Enablement Manager at a mobile tech startup in Manhattan. I am very happy with my job and how I am progressing, but I am ready to continue my education and pursue my aspirations for law school.

Despite my personal and academic progress, that is not reflected at all in my final GPA of a little over 2.6. I have always wanted to go to law school and performed very well in my law classes at BC. But I've been hesitant to even apply to any schools since graduating for fear of rejection because of my terrible GPA. I often ask myself if it is even worth it? I've been taking practice LSAT's and scoring 160+, one time scoring a 172.

Law school is a huge investment and as someone who already is paying off sizable student loans from undergrad, I want to know if I can get into a good law school that will give a ROI that will be worth it. Will my work experience, albeit brief, plus a potentially high LSAT score help get me into a school that is worth the investment? Although I went through a terrible experience, I don't regret it as it had a profound impact on shaping me into the person I am today. My only concern is that the stupid decisions I made at 17-18 years old will forever haunt me. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice as I look to make the next step in my life. Thank you in advance!

Good on you for bouncing back during undergrad! If you think you can handle the stress of law school and also the stress of OCI (which is very stressful), then law school can be a realistic goal. I agree with the other posters that you should be cautious and that you shouldn't underestimate how difficult the next couple of years will be if you decide to law school is for you. You do seem to have a good thing going already at your current job.

At the same time, if you are going to spend the rest of your life wondering "what if" and feeling unsatisfied and cheated because you didn't try, then law school may be the right choice. If practicing law is what you want to do, and you are at your current job only because you think your sub-par GPA is preventing you from doing what you actually want, then I say go for it.
You write well and you're clearly resilient -- if you don't lose sight of your goals and keep up a good work ethic, I think you can be successful.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do!

BCEagles2014

New

Postby BCEagles2014 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:00 pm

Let me preface this by saying that by no means is money my sole motivating factor. I am happy with my job, but I realistically know it won't get me the desired salary I need to have the lifestyle I want. In addition, I would personally feel more fulfilled with continuing my education. It's actually because of the job I have now that I feel more motivated to pursue law school. I work closely with our legal counsel who has encouraged me to pursue law school and she has made interested in pursuing a career track like hers.

I totally understand the rigors of law school and the impact it can have on people with depression. To be fair, I don't think it's fair to categorize myself as someone who struggles with depression. Again, it happened at me at a very young age when I was on my own and making drastic mistakes. I've never been depressed before or after then.

BCEagles2014

New

Postby BCEagles2014 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:02 pm

ek5dn wrote:
BCEagles2014 wrote:I graduated from Boston College in 2014 with a major in Communications and a concentration in Pre-Law. I had a terrible freshman year, getting a sub-2.0 GPA in both semesters. In hindsight, I entered college much too young (17 years old) and was not mature enough to handle my newfound freedom. I went into a deep state of depression going into my sophomore year, as I was mortified that I went from a perfect student in high school to one near the bottom of my class in college. I felt hopeless and that all my future aspirations were ruined.

Good on you for bouncing back during undergrad! If you think you can handle the stress of law school and also the stress of OCI (which is very stressful), then law school can be a realistic goal. I agree with the other posters that you should be cautious and that you shouldn't underestimate how difficult the next couple of years will be if you decide to law school is for you. You do seem to have a good thing going already at your current job.

At the same time, if you are going to spend the rest of your life wondering "what if" and feeling unsatisfied and cheated because you didn't try, then law school may be the right choice. If practicing law is what you want to do, and you are at your current job only because you think your sub-par GPA is preventing you from doing what you actually want, then I say go for it.
You write well and you're clearly resilient -- if you don't lose sight of your goals and keep up a good work ethic, I think you can be successful.

Thank you for this comment. It made my day :)

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:06 pm

BCEagles2014 wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

Thank you for this comment. It made my day :)

No problem! Before people start jumping down my throat about being "unrealistic," just be sure you are really committed to practicing law and that you're prepared to buckle down and work hard. I recommend talking to practicing lawyers and other students you may know who are at law school.

It seems like the only thing holding you back is the fear of not getting into a good enough school to find a good job afterwards (to help pay off loans, etc.) My recommendation is to continue to study for the LSAT and then re-assess after you have your score. You can also examine your options a third time after you apply to law schools and see which schools you get accepted to.

Feel free to p/m me any questions!

njdevils2626

Bronze

Postby njdevils2626 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:21 pm

BCEagles2014 wrote:Let me preface this by saying that by no means is money my sole motivating factor. I am happy with my job, but I realistically know it won't get me the desired salary I need to have the lifestyle I want. In addition, I would personally feel more fulfilled with continuing my education. It's actually because of the job I have now that I feel more motivated to pursue law school. I work closely with our legal counsel who has encouraged me to pursue law school and she has made interested in pursuing a career track like hers.

I totally understand the rigors of law school and the impact it can have on people with depression. To be fair, I don't think it's fair to categorize myself as someone who struggles with depression. Again, it happened at me at a very young age when I was on my own and making drastic mistakes. I've never been depressed before or after then.

Bolded is something that could also play an impact here. If legal counsel likes you and is encouraging you to go to law school, would she also be willing to offer you a job post-graduation (and is that something you would be interested in)? If so, attending knowing that you have a job lined up is a much different prospect than attending and hoping to find a job along the way

Alive97

Bronze

Postby Alive97 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Last edited by Alive97 on Fri May 05, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:04 pm

If you can get into t14 or tier 1 on full or close to full ride it is worth it. But if u dont, do not blind urself with ambition. Just see the legal employment forum where ppl have no job for a year and they are massmailing indiscriminantly at every firm in the country.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:14 pm

Props on changing your life around. Something to keep in mind is that while your progress is related to maturity, it sounds it's also largely due to you doing really well in controlled and structured environments like an office environment and not doing well in unstructured environments where you have all the control like your college experience was before you sought help. Law school is very unstructured so if you decide to go, you'd probably want to come up with ways to develop a structure and stick to it. The risk is if you falter out of the gate like in college, it's more likely than not you will have a bleaker career outlook than you do now and a couple hundred thousand dollars of debt to boot.

No matter how well you do on the LSAT, with that GPA your scholarship options will be limited. You would still get a lot of money if you got a 180, but one thing to bare in mind is that the scholarships are partly based on predicting what your other offers are and getting you to attend for the most money possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�