Why am I so confused by the CAS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zeglo

Silver

Why am I so confused by the CAS?

Postby zeglo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:56 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Why am I so confused by the CAS?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 am

There's no benefit to waiting to get CAS, because there is a bit of a delay in the process between you purchasing it and the report actually being assembled. The only exception I can think of would be if you're waiting for an LSAC fee waiver.

And I'm not quite sure what you're referring to with ordering reports. Are you talking about schools having to directly order your CAS report from LSAC? If I remember correctly, when you pay application fees, there's a school fee and an LSAC application fee for each school.

EnfieldTennisChamp

Bronze

Postby EnfieldTennisChamp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:15 am

zeglo wrote:I understand that the Credential Assembly Service can be bought at any time, but then it seems nothing happens with it until everything is received. So can I wait until I have all my materials, then buy it? Or is the delay going to happen regardless? When did you buy it?

And what is this talk of ordering reports? I thought you just apply with the application fee. Where the heck is a straight explanation?

Purchase CAS -> LSAC account number assigned ->schools send the transcripts and the recommenders send LORs to LSAC using your LSAC account number. So, as I understand it, your materials can't really be collected until you have CAS.
When you complete an application, the school will request the report from LSAC. The school's application fee has nothing to do with LSAC's report fee.
Last edited by EnfieldTennisChamp on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnfieldTennisChamp

Bronze

Postby EnfieldTennisChamp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 am

zeglo wrote:Okay, makes sense.

So I can buy it now, and basically it will "begin" the assembly process once my last letter of rec is received?

I currently have all materials uploaded to my account already except for the last LoR.

Actually I think what I said before was wrong. Looks like your report will be assembled and ready to go approximately two weeks after the last LOR comes in, and then you just have to pay before LSAC will actually send the reports off to the schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�