Christian College to Ivy League Law School? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ShenmueRemake

New

Christian College to Ivy League Law School?

Post by ShenmueRemake » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:00 am

I'm an LSAT tutor and have a student who goes to a for-profit Christian school called Grand Canyon University. She has her heart set on an Ivy League school. Do people from such schools get admitted to credible law schools? I'd better tell her now so she can make the decision if its even worth studying for the LSAT.

raven1231

Bronze

Re: Christian College to Ivy League Law School?

Post by raven1231 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 am

Certainly. As long as she has a good GPA for them to showcase.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 am

If she can drop a solid LSAT on top of a decent GPA, I'm pretty there's not a law school in the country that will care.

My only concern would be making sure her university is accredited. Some of those really fringe-y religious universities aren't and I could see THAT being a no-go. Since I'm unfamiliar with this particular school of hers, that's probably worth looking into. But, assuming it is, have her keep that GPA up and study for the LSAT and anything is possible.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:57 am

My hunch is that she'll be fine. Grand Canyon is in the process of trying to go non-profit and is actually a residential college too. It's one of the slightly more legit for-profit schools in my experience.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:11 am

wait are they really remaking shenmue?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 am

Yeah, I'd be much more worried about the "for-profit" part than the Christian part.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:18 am

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:03 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:If she can drop a solid LSAT on top of a decent GPA, I'm pretty there's not a law school in the country that will care.

My only concern would be making sure her university is accredited. Some of those really fringe-y religious universities aren't and I could see THAT being a no-go. Since I'm unfamiliar with this particular school of hers, that's probably worth looking into. But, assuming it is, have her keep that GPA up and study for the LSAT and anything is possible.
You'd think, wouldn't you? However, I grew up near a very extremist Southern Baptist unaccredited college, and they've had two grads the past 10 years or so go to YLS. I don't think school matters at all, other than a handful maybe giving a small boost.
Interesting. I have a family acquaintance who was homeschooled all the way through highschool-level, went to Pensacola Christian College (an unaccredited Southern Baptist Madrassa) and was bitching about how she couldn't get a job that required a highschool diploma without getting her GED first. I found that story hilarious.

Would be ironic if she could apply to Yale Law School with her "4.0 GPA" in Bible General Studies and skip the GED process.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:39 pm

it rarely ever happens, but its not possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:49 pm

ShenmueRemake wrote:I'm an LSAT tutor and have a student who goes to a for-profit Christian school called Grand Canyon University. She has her heart set on an Ivy League school. Do people from such schools get admitted to credible law schools? I'd better tell her now so she can make the decision if its even worth studying for the LSAT.
Isn't that school online only?

Anyway, so long as it's accredited, she has a gpa above 3.5 and a 170+ LSAT, then she can probably get until a couple Ivies

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:00 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:If she can drop a solid LSAT on top of a decent GPA, I'm pretty there's not a law school in the country that will care.

You'd think, wouldn't you? However, I grew up near a very extremist Southern Baptist unaccredited college, and they've had two grads the past 10 years or so go to YLS. I don't think school matters at all, other than a handful maybe giving a small boost.

Is it Bob Jones University?

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:49 pm

Stop spreading the term Ivy League law school. If you are talking about the specific Ivy League schools that have law schools for a specific reason(like applying to the same school you went to for undergrad) that is one thing, but using it as a vague term to mean good law schools is misleading and misinformed.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Nebby wrote:
ShenmueRemake wrote:I'm an LSAT tutor and have a student who goes to a for-profit Christian school called Grand Canyon University. She has her heart set on an Ivy League school. Do people from such schools get admitted to credible law schools? I'd better tell her now so she can make the decision if its even worth studying for the LSAT.
Isn't that school online only?

Anyway, so long as it's accredited, she has a gpa above 3.5 and a 170+ LSAT, then she can probably get until a couple Ivies
Nah, it's residential. Western Governors' University is online only.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Don't most T14 release lists of where their entering class went to undergrad? I feel like that could definitively answer the question. See if T14 schools have students from peer schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”