Schools for Tax Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ferrisjso

Gold

Schools for Tax Law

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm really interested in tax law. I have a 3.51 GPA and a 156 LSAT(I'm planning on retaking because my PT scores have been as high as 164) Of the schools I'm going to apply to, does anyone know anything about their tax law reputation?

UMichigan(Unrealistic reach)
Vanderbilt(Dream School)
William and Mary
Cardozo
Brooklyn

I'm also applying to CUNY as a safety because it's so dam cheap but I'm already well aware that if you want to work in anything except PI or local politics the job prospects are non exsistent. Other schools I probably won't apply to but haven't crossed off the list completely are Fordham and UCONN.

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Schools for Tax Law

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 pm

only Michigan is worth going to. You're going to need a much higher LSAT to get there though.

Specialty tax rankings don't matter for the JD. You could argue that NYU may be the best school to go to if you are dead set on Tax because they have so many courses available.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:I'm really interested in tax law. I have a 3.51 GPA and a 156 LSAT(I'm planning on retaking because my PT scores have been as high as 164) Of the schools I'm going to apply to, does anyone know anything about their tax law reputation?

Vanderbilt(Dream School)
William and Mary
Cardozo
Brooklyn

I'm also applying to CUNY as a safety because it's so dam cheap but I'm already well aware that if you want to work in anything except PI or local politics the job prospects are non exsistent. Other schools I probably won't apply to but haven't crossed off the list completely are Fordham and UCONN.
Tax lawyer here: ignore specialty rankings or specialty "reputations". The only thing that matters is getting into a school that places well. Of those, only Michigan really fits that description.

Study your brains out for the LSAT. However much you are studying, triple it.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:56 pm

This isn't like college. Specialty rankings do not matter. That said, a T14 with good tax offerings is likely a good option. I would think that NYU would be good given the strength of their tax LLM

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:I'm really interested in tax law. I have a 3.51 GPA and a 156 LSAT(I'm planning on retaking because my PT scores have been as high as 164) Of the schools I'm going to apply to, does anyone know anything about their tax law reputation?

Vanderbilt(Dream School)
William and Mary
Cardozo
Brooklyn

You are probably going to have to get an LLM unless you can get into Michigan. So really you should be looking at any of those (not CUNY) and then to NYU/Northwestern/GTown LLM. Use all your retakes and reassess once you have a final score. Fordham to NYU with lots of tax classes is a pretty doable get and should put you in a solid situation. That would be my path if you dont get Michigan/Vandy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:20 pm

SFSpartan wrote:This isn't like college. Specialty rankings do not matter. That said, a T14 with good tax offerings is likely a good option. I would think that NYU would be good given the strength of their tax LLM
Yeh I'm aware that specialty rankings are worthless. Know a few people who got lured into Pace that way. I'm more interested in knowing which schools on my list are good for tax law in regards to focus and employment. I think I'll be able to get my LSAT in the 160-165 range and depending on my exact score, the only other school that I really am interested in adding is maybe Fordham. Even if I was to exceed that I wouldn't be getting money from the T-14. I also don't want an LLM degree(though NYU's is the best of the best for tax) I know NYU is the king of tax already, what would my best option for tax be with the schools on my list?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:24 pm

The school with the highest overall employment numbers (i.e. Michigan), as that gives you the most freedom to end up in the practice you want.

Edit: Is there a particular reason that Vanderbilt? Because if you want to work in the South and have ties there, that would make sense as well.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:29 pm

[/quote]

Tax lawyer here: ignore specialty rankings or specialty "reputations". The only thing that matters is getting into a school that places well. Of those, only Michigan really fits that description.

Study your brains out for the LSAT. However much you are studying, triple it.[/quote]

Thanks! I'm working hard for the LSAT. I never looked at or cared about specialty rankings, I know a lot of people are in bad situations because they focused on those(especially in things like Environmental Law) I knew NYU was great for tax by lurking any time a tax thread came up and Spartan's insight affirms that. Michigan is the hardest reach for me even with a drastic increase, and my most likely outcomes are William and Mary, Cardozo or Brooklyn(with an increased score I'm hoping to get FR's to Cardozo and Brooklyn). Do any of those schools have a reputation for tax law?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:33 pm

SFSpartan wrote:The school with the highest overall employment numbers (i.e. Michigan), as that gives you the most freedom to end up in the practice you want.

Edit: Is there a particular reason that Vanderbilt? Because if you want to work in the South and have ties there, that would make sense as well.
I live in NYC and would ideally like to practice there. However I have been to Nashville and it's the greatest city I've ever been to. If I was lucky enough to be accepted(even at sticker)I'd have no problem practicing there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:The school with the highest overall employment numbers (i.e. Michigan), as that gives you the most freedom to end up in the practice you want.

I live in NYC and would ideally like to practice there. However I have been to Nashville and it's the greatest city I've ever been to. If I was lucky enough to be accepted(even at sticker)I'd have no problem practicing there.
You should probably research how much firms in the South focus on ties to the area. Because if going to law school in a particular area isn't enough for skittish, ties-focused firms (I've heard this about Seattle, that some U of Wash people strike out because the don't have family in Washington), you could end up going to a regional school with no region to cast your net in.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Ferrisjso wrote: Michigan is the hardest reach for me even with a drastic increase, and my most likely outcomes are William and Mary, Cardozo or Brooklyn(with an increased score I'm hoping to get FR's to Cardozo and Brooklyn). Do any of those schools have a reputation for tax law?
To be frank, no. I would not attend law school if those are your options. You are better off going the CPA route if you are interested in tax and can't get into the T14.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 pm

nealric wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: Michigan is the hardest reach for me even with a drastic increase, and my most likely outcomes are William and Mary, Cardozo or Brooklyn(with an increased score I'm hoping to get FR's to Cardozo and Brooklyn). Do any of those schools have a reputation for tax law?
To be frank, no. I would not attend law school if those are your options. You are better off going the CPA route if you are interested in tax and can't get into the T14.
I do not want to be an accountant. Most friends I've had going through CPA programs have switched to less rigorous fields. I am more interested in the legal aspect.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:16 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
nealric wrote:
I do not want to be an accountant. Most friends I've had going through CPA programs have switched to less rigorous fields. I am more interested in the legal aspect.
Fine, but I suggest you avoid the T2 schools on your list if you want a good shot at practicing Tax in way that allows you to truly get into the legal aspects. The CPA programs your friends dropped out of won't be any less rigorous than what it takes to become a successful tax lawyer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Seven-eight

New

Post by Seven-eight » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:32 am

I am a rising 3L at the University of Florida (ranked #48 as of now) in the top 15% of my class. I am also a member of a journal (not law review) and I am currently completing a Summer Associate position with a law firm focusing on securities law that I landed through an on campus interview. So far, the only tax class that I have taken is personal income tax and I received an A-. My buddies at UF Tax LLM have all told me that I should have no problem getting into NYU, Georgetown and Florida tax. Thus, my first question is: how accurate is this statement?

Furthermore, I came straight into UF Law from UF undergrad and I am ready to get out of Gainesville (although UF Tax LLM landed my friends good jobs and is by far the cheapest top tax LLM option). Thus, should I get into both, I am between Georgetown and NYU. Although NYU is #1 and Georgetown is #2, I would prefer Georgetown, as I prefer DC's lifestyle and my long time girlfriend is moving to the DC area. However, I would find it very hard to pay full price at Georgetown, while passing on NYU. Does anyone know how generous Georgetown is with scholarships and if they are open to negotiations if you were to tell them that you got into NYU, but would prefer Georgetown if the money is right? Secondly, before I got ahead of myself with the last question, does anyone know if a person with my resume is likely to be considered for a scholarship at Georgetown tax?
Thank you in advance!

BoobGoddess

New

Post by BoobGoddess » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:04 am

Whatever you do DO NOT go to GULC. It's a shit school. I know people who got an LLMs from GULC and they are total disappointments in life.

One got an LLM in securities law and he is now working in a three person operation that helps outsource American jobs overseas. He's a total loser.

The two others who got a tax LLM are all solo practicioners and they do not look like they have a lot of business. If your heart is set on tax law, I would recommend you find a cute CPA to help you out and open your own firm now. Don't put yourself through more debt!!!!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am

highest ranked school you get into to NYU/Gtown/Northwestern/Florida LLM is going to be your only option with any of these options not Michigan.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:17 pm

How is that my alt gets banned (PresTTTigious w/ the pink poop emoji) gets banned, but BoobGodess still gets to post?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”