Stanford admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dj7

New

Stanford admissions

Postby dj7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Hey everyone,

Do any of yall know who makes up the Stanford admissions committee? I have an alumni I want to write a recommendation letter for me and he believes that while he was enrolled at Stanford Law School he may have alienated a number of faculty members to the point where some may remember him negatively. Because of this he believes his recommendation could potentially do more harm than good. Any info/advice on this?

poptart123

Silver

Re: Stanford admissions

Postby poptart123 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:58 pm

My advice would probably be to find somebody else. Even if he didn't interact with anybody on the committee there is always a chance that his story has made its rounds throughout the faculty/staff at SLS.

dj7

New

Postby dj7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But just to confirm, is the admissions committee at SLS made of faculty? Also, if it makes a difference, he says his infamy is due to him being politically outspoken.

hubbathehut

New

Postby hubbathehut » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Don't make the same mistake I did for doing undergrad at Stanford. I don't think it could have been avoided htough. Yes, it is probably made of faculty. As for the recommendation, it probably wouldn't make a difference.

abl

Silver

Postby abl » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:05 pm

How do you know this alumnus? Is he important in any way? If he's not a person who you're asking to recommend you to other schools, you probably shouldn't get a rec from him for Stanford. I doubt recommendations from alumni carry much, if any, weight anywhere, and to the extent they do carry weight, it'd be because of the personal connection factor--which sounds like it'd be a negative in your case.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�