Not Accountable Transcript Courses

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CoolHouse

New

Not Accountable Transcript Courses

Postby CoolHouse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:02 pm

So I have a few courses on my transcript that are "XF" which translates to "Final exam not written - failed course". Therefore they would be looked at on the LSDAS conversion scale as 0.00. I did however petition to the school and the petition was granted, so that now it indicates beside the mark that I was "not accountable" for them. So I was wondering, are they still included in my LSDAS GPA?

Calbears123

Bronze

Re: Not Accountable Transcript Courses

Postby Calbears123 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Did you school drop the credits to 0? If not they will be included.

CoolHouse

New

Postby CoolHouse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:13 pm

Calbears123 wrote:Did you school drop the credits to 0? If not they will be included.

What do you mean by this? My transcript shows the courses with an "XF" as a mark, although beside the mark it says "not accountable".

CoolHouse

New

Postby CoolHouse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Calbears123 wrote:Did you school drop the credits to 0? If not they will be included.

Here is how the marks show up, although on my official transcript it notes "not accountable" next to them:
http://imgur.com/zbKrcXC

Calbears123

Bronze

Postby Calbears123 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Not sure how LSAC differentiates between attempted and earned credits. I got a D in a 3 credit class (earned not attempted) I took at a jr. college in highschool, through academic forgiveness I had the credits earned dropped to 0 and that D did not factor into my GPA.
Last edited by Calbears123 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Calbears123

Bronze

Postby Calbears123 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:21 pm

double post

CoolHouse

New

Postby CoolHouse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Calbears123 wrote:Not sure how LSAC differentiates between attempted and earned credits. I got a D in a 3 credit class (earned not attempted) I took in highschool, through academic forgiveness I had the credits attempted dropped to 0 and that D did not factor into my GPA.

Attempted in this case means that if I passed this class I would have received those credits (0.5). Since I did not pass I did not earn them and therefore I was given a value of 0.0.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:31 pm

CoolHouse wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:Not sure how LSAC differentiates between attempted and earned credits. I got a D in a 3 credit class (earned not attempted) I took in highschool, through academic forgiveness I had the credits attempted dropped to 0 and that D did not factor into my GPA.

Attempted in this case means that if I passed this class I would have received those credits (0.5). Since I did not pass I did not earn them and therefore I was given a value of 0.0.

LSAC will calculate all credits attempted vs. credits earned if they're reflected on your transcript. Any way you could get your registrar to remove them since you're not accountable? Never heard of "XF" though, so it's possible this isn't the case.

CoolHouse

New

Postby CoolHouse » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:43 pm

maybeman wrote:
CoolHouse wrote:

LSAC will calculate all credits attempted vs. credits earned if they're reflected on your transcript. Any way you could get your registrar to remove them since you're not accountable? Never heard of "XF" though, so it's possible this isn't the case.

Got the next best thing, the registrar converted them to non punitive withdrawals! :D

za232

New

Postby za232 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi all!

New to Top Law School forums here!

I have a 3.57 GPA from a top three Ivy League undergraduate university (majored in environmental science).
I was very very sick one semester (benign brain tumor that resulted in several severe symptoms), and had to drop classes & also received grades that were not representative of my usual performance (i.e. mostly A's and A-'s). Very fortunately, I was able to see a good neurosurgeon, and I was able to graduate on time.

I was able to catch up on credits, but needed to take a summer language course post graduation (sponsored by the university) to obtain my diploma.
I wonder if the language courses (unrelated to my major) would affect my LSAC GPA? The course was for 3 credits, while I only needed 1 credit to obtain my diploma. Would the LSAC GPA calculator count the course for 3 credits? (I received a B+ in the course. Foreign languages are not my strong suit, but I needed to get the credit.)

On my college transcript, the course and the grade I received in it did not affect my overall undergraduate GPA...but I know that the LSAC calculates things differently.

Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�