Working at a firm pre-LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bmathers

Silver

Working at a firm pre-LS

Postby bmathers » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:25 pm

So, I got on Craigslist the other day and emailed every single job posting for a paralegal or legal secretary, supplied my resume, and described my situation and aspiration of law school for Fall '17 (with my current LSAT score).

So far, I have gotten one bite, and just returned the voicemail that was left. The firm is the leading firm in this area for an area of law that I may be interested in practicing - I figured getting this "inside look" at this area of law can only help my decision to pursue, or not pursue, the specific area of law.

My question is - If I am applying for law school in the upcoming cycle, and begin work at this firm within the next month (who knows, and who knows if I'll land the job), will this be a good addition to my law school application, or will it be negligible since I'll have been there only a couple of months when I apply?

Thanks, I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to do this over the next year, or if I want to relax and keep with my current line of work during this period.

maybeman

Bronze

Re: Working at a firm pre-LS

Postby maybeman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Will be negligible. Good to get an inside look though

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Agreed with the above. Will be good insight and good experience, but if you're just starting when applying it probably won't really impact your app.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:47 pm

bmathers wrote:So, I got on Craigslist the other day and emailed every single job posting for a paralegal or legal secretary, supplied my resume, and described my situation and aspiration of law school for Fall '17 (with my current LSAT score).

So far, I have gotten one bite, and just returned the voicemail that was left. The firm is the leading firm in this area for an area of law that I may be interested in practicing - I figured getting this "inside look" at this area of law can only help my decision to pursue, or not pursue, the specific area of law.

My question is - If I am applying for law school in the upcoming cycle, and begin work at this firm within the next month (who knows, and who knows if I'll land the job), will this be a good addition to my law school application, or will it be negligible since I'll have been there only a couple of months when I apply?

Thanks, I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to do this over the next year, or if I want to relax and keep with my current line of work during this period.

I'm currently interning at a small-medium sized office of a large global firm, but I'm not applying until the '17-'18 cycle. As someone who wasn't 100% sure on whether or not they were going to law school, this definitely helped me make the decision. Also, I'm hoping to grab a rec letter from my boss, which is nice for an application.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:51 pm

bmathers wrote:So, I got on Craigslist the other day and emailed every single job posting for a paralegal or legal secretary, supplied my resume, and described my situation and aspiration of law school for Fall '17 (with my current LSAT score).

Fairly negligible in terms of your application. It's a soft factor, and will help you make the case that you are genuinely interested in law. You could certainly mention it in your personal statement, for example.

Like others have mentioned, it will be most useful as a peek into what law firm culture is like, and if you fit in there. If that sounds interesting/useful to you, then I'd recommend going for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�