Possibly dumb question about GPA on resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

Possibly dumb question about GPA on resume

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:23 pm

When reporting GPA on resume, do you report the GPA as calculated by your college or the LSAC GPA? My guess is the college GPA, but what if the LSAC GPA is higher?

EDIT: Also, when is it a good idea to include your major GPA?

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Possibly dumb question about GPA on resume

Postby Mikey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 pm

If you're including your GPA on your resume under the school attended, it should be the GPA from the school, not LSAC. Also, don't include your major's GPA, it's irrelevant, imo.

GreenEggs

Gold

Postby GreenEggs » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I put "LSAC GPA: X.XX" and didn't put my school GPA, because my LSAC GPA was noticeably higher. Either is fine, but if you're gonna put LSAC on, make sure you state that that's the case
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks! One more question: If I transferred, should I include my GPA from the school I transferred from (NYU)? I currently have it on my resume but I also hadn't graduated college yet when I made it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:47 pm

TheMikey wrote:If you're including your GPA on your resume under the school attended, it should be the GPA from the school, not LSAC. Also, don't include your major's GPA, it's irrelevant, imo.

Eh, if your major GPA is dramatically higher than your overall GPA, I don't think there's anything wrong with including it. Obviously a school can't report it but they might find it worth seeing. If they're in the same general ball park it's not worth it. (Since this is about law school admissions. I would not include it on a resume for a job.)

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:00 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I put "LSAC GPA: X.XX" and didn't put my school GPA, because my LSAC GPA was noticeably higher. Either is fine, but if you're gonna put LSAC on, make sure you state that that's the case

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:41 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I put "LSAC GPA: X.XX" and didn't put my school GPA, because my LSAC GPA was noticeably higher. Either is fine, but if you're gonna put LSAC on, make sure you state that that's the case

Who honestly puts GPA on a resume out of UG?

GreenEggs

Gold

Postby GreenEggs » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:43 pm

brinicolec wrote:Thanks! One more question: If I transferred, should I include my GPA from the school I transferred from (NYU)? I currently have it on my resume but I also hadn't graduated college yet when I made it.

I would just put something like this, but with better formatting:

Cornell University 2011-2014
NYU 2010-2011
LSAC GPA: 3.9

GreenEggs

Gold

Postby GreenEggs » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:44 pm

mukol wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:

This is for law school applications, but if you mean in general, a lot of people do for the first 1-2 years depending on your industry.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:44 pm

mukol wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:

Well, I was floating around Harvard's site and came across three of their provided examples of resumes from past applicants and all of them did so... I guess Harvard applicants do.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:46 pm

mukol wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:

People who are applying to law school?

And you can put anything you want OP. Put your LSAC GPA, your school's, your major, even if you have an upward trend you can put your last few years to call attention to it. Just label what it is. No one cares.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post removed...

Postby GreenEggs » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Post removed...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�