How Bad Does Being Unemployed Look?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cantyoloforever

Bronze

How Bad Does Being Unemployed Look?

Postby cantyoloforever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:10 pm

My contract recently ended with a small company I was doing some marketing for. It was a great job because it had flexible hours and allowed me to work from home a lot, so I was able to study for the LSAT religiously :D

But I got some bad news last week - my contract was not going to be renewed (wasn't enough work for me to do, not because I did anything wrong) and I would have to retake the LSAT (it was a good score in the upper 160s, but not where I want to be).

I've been interviewing for other marketing jobs this week, but I have a couple of thoughts weighing on my mind.

A. Will being unemployed for a month, and maybe even longer, look bad when I apply for law schools?
B. Should I even be looking for marketing jobs? I've been thinking lately that I should be looking for legal assistant jobs so I can get my feet wet in the law world.
C. Should I even worry about finding a job right now? I live at home, and would LOVE to move out, but maybe I should just worry about studying for the retake? With that said, I have already done a lot of studying, so I don't know if that's really necessary.

Redfactor

Bronze

Re: How Bad Does Being Unemployed Look?

Postby Redfactor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:45 pm

A small unemployment gap, if you could even call this a gap, would make no difference at all for admissions.

If you have the time to devote to the LSAT and necessities are covered, then focusing on the LSAT until September is a decent option. If you can score a 171 or 172, it would make a big difference for both school options and scholarship awards. If you can get higher than that, then it's even better. It's not unrealistic that increasing by 3-4 points could save you 60k -- and at a better school.

Then after the September exam, apply for jobs. If you obtain a sweet position, you can always update your application resume with various schools. (If it's just a meh job then it's not needed.)

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about trying to secure a law-related job.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Higher LSAT score >>>>>>>>>> Gap

Also, paralegal type jobs won't give you a boost in law school admissions (adcoms know this role mainly involves banal paperwork/admin duties).

rwhyAn

Bronze

Postby rwhyAn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:05 pm

I had two five-month gaps on my resume before applying because I got laid off twice in two years. It made no difference. If you're 35 and haven't been employed in 10 years, it might raise some eyebrows, but as others have said, a high GPA and LSAT trumps all.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if getting a job for the next year would be difficult though if I had such a big unemployment gap? I'd like to have some sort of professional experience for the next year instead of working as a waiter or something lol (no offense to waiters though, just don't think I'm cut out for it).

I have a couple of interviews for places I would legitimately enjoy working for coming up, so how does this sound - see how those interviews go, but otherwise just focus on studying? If they pan out, then great, take them and try to keep abreast with the LSAT; if they don't work out, then no worries and just focus on the test?

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:55 pm

I've been unemployed since January. Well, not technically unemployed because I've been traveling and stuff in lieu of looking for work, but it didnt impact me at all. Once I start school I'm just going to say I was traveling to explain the gap.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Dcc617 wrote:I've been unemployed since January. Well, not technically unemployed because I've been traveling and stuff in lieu of looking for work, but it didnt impact me at all. Once I start school I'm just going to say I was traveling to explain the gap.

Do they ask about that before you start class or something?

P.S. OP, I quit my job to study for the LSAT, and I'm thinking about being a fulltime LSAT tutor so I can get better at the test (and make mad money). Might be a good way to spend your time if you can't get employed.

Stillblade

New

Postby Stillblade » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:13 am

Was unemployed for about 1.5 years minus a few months working seasonal at Macy's. Still got into the schools I had the numbers for. You'll be fine.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Stillblade wrote:Was unemployed for about 1.5 years minus a few months working seasonal at Macy's. Still got into the schools I had the numbers for. You'll be fine.

That's good to hear. I was turned down for a job I really did want, so I think it's a sign I should focus on the LSAT haha.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�