LOR from study abroad professor okay??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joeytribbiani

Bronze

LOR from study abroad professor okay??

Postby joeytribbiani » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:20 am

I'm trying to decide between 2 options for my second academic LOR: (1) professor at my school who I've only taken 1 course with but got an A and got to know him pretty well (it was also a bus. law course if that helps at all? he's a law professor but teaches it in our undergrad bus. school) or (2) I took a course while studying abroad with a husband/wife professor pair that I got to know extremely well (had Thanksgiving with them) and also got an A, but they are from another school. It's also an American school and, give or take, equal to my school (top 30), but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on professors from other schools writing letters?

Also, if I do choose the professors from abroad, do I ask them to write a combo letter, or do I ask just one of them to write it and mention that they co-taught the course?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: LOR from study abroad professor okay??

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am

If the professor knows you well and can speak to your good academic qualities (i.e. this was a real course, not a fluff course for students who wanted to go drink in Piazza del Popolo all day), then I'd use them for an LOR. It sounds like both these professors fit the bill, so I'd use whichever one is likely to talk about a different side of you than your first letter-writer.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: LOR from study abroad professor okay??

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 pm

joeytribbiani wrote:I'm trying to decide between 2 options for my second academic LOR: (1) professor at my school who I've only taken 1 course with but got an A and got to know him pretty well (it was also a bus. law course if that helps at all? he's a law professor but teaches it in our undergrad bus. school) or (2) I took a course while studying abroad with a husband/wife professor pair that I got to know extremely well (had Thanksgiving with them) and also got an A, but they are from another school. It's also an American school and, give or take, equal to my school (top 30), but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on professors from other schools writing letters?

Also, if I do choose the professors from abroad, do I ask them to write a combo letter, or do I ask just one of them to write it and mention that they co-taught the course?

Either one sounds fine. The fact that the professor was from a study abroad semester is not an issue, as long as they can speak to your value as a student.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�