Is Applying "Early In The Cycle" Really An Advantage?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greatspirit

Bronze

Is Applying "Early In The Cycle" Really An Advantage?

Postby greatspirit » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:36 pm

I have a 2.92 LSDAS GPA (or is it referred to as LSAC GPA now on TLS? Have been noticing that term as of late), and am a first gen AA male. Aiming for a 170. Currently planning on taking it in September, but as the summer goes on I am falling behind in my studying and am starting to have a slight nagging feeling that I should do December instead - both LSAT test dates would allow me to apply for the Class of 2020 cycle, but naturally the September one would let me apply in November-December while the December one in January-February.

Would applying early really make that significant of a difference? Apologies for the slight incoherent-ness in my post...long day. Thanks in advance!

mukol

Bronze

Re: Is Applying "Early In The Cycle" Really An Advantage?

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:33 am

I applied with basically a 3.0 and your target LSAT. Not URM.

Took it in October. Didn't get around to applying until the end of December (honestly early to mid January for some schools).

My cycle was pretty solid.

EDIT: But don't do what I did, applying early is a good thing. Don't be too proud to consider retaking, or sitting out a year and getting apps in ASAP next fall.

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:39 am

mukol wrote: Don't be too proud to consider retaking, or sitting out a year and getting apps in ASAP next fall.

So great that you mention this - I graduated Class of 2014...and have always felt like a 3-year gap btwn ugrad & law school would be the max I'm willing to push it. I need to break out of that thinking...as it's purely ego.

See from your profile you got into Gtown & Northwestern too! That's a damn solid cycle, congrats. Where did you end up choosing?

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 am

If the average of your last 5 PTs are ~3 points from your goal of 170, I'd take the test. Otherwise, probably better to wait. The boost from earlier application (which isn't universal btw-- check school websites) isn't worth an underwhelming first LSAT score. Having multiple LSATs is nowhere near devastating and the experience of taking a real test may be valuable, but if you're PTing in the mid//low 160's, I'd advise against taking it early.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 am

greatspirit wrote:
mukol wrote: Don't be too proud to consider retaking, or sitting out a year and getting apps in ASAP next fall.

So great that you mention this - I graduated Class of 2014...and have always felt like a 3-year gap btwn ugrad & law school would be the max I'm willing to push it. I need to break out of that thinking...as it's purely ego.

See from your profile you got into Gtown & Northwestern too! That's a damn solid cycle, congrats. Where did you end up choosing?

2014? You're still a baby, bruh.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:38 am

maybeman wrote:If the average of your last 5 PTs are ~3 points from your goal of 170, I'd take the test. Otherwise, probably better to wait. The boost from earlier application (which isn't universal btw-- check school websites) isn't worth an underwhelming first LSAT score. Having multiple LSATs is nowhere near devastating and the experience of taking a real test may be valuable, but if you're PTing in the mid//low 160's, I'd advise against taking it early.

+1
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:10 am

Applying earlier certainly helps, but any advantage will likely be outweighed by applying with a higher LSAT score. Take the test when you're ready and PTing in the ballpark of your goals. One year in the grand scheme of things to study and get your apps together is nothing!

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm actually in a similiar dilemma; I scored in the upper 160s, but want to get into the 170s, so I'm retaking in September. Would applying mid to late October still be considered early enough for an advantage in the admissions cycle?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:I'm actually in a similiar dilemma; I scored in the upper 160s, but want to get into the 170s, so I'm retaking in September. Would applying mid to late October still be considered early enough for an advantage in the admissions cycle?

Yes.

Basically anything before November is early enough to be advantageous.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:I'm actually in a similiar dilemma; I scored in the upper 160s, but want to get into the 170s, so I'm retaking in September. Would applying mid to late October still be considered early enough for an advantage in the admissions cycle?

Yes.

Basically anything before November is early enough to be advantageous.

Cool; time to get in the 170s!

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Helpful replies everyone, thank you all!

I have till August 10th (the registration deadline) to decide...have to treat LSAT as top priority till then.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�