Non-ranked to ranked school transfer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smcdonald

New

Non-ranked to ranked school transfer

Postby smcdonald » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Im considering transferring after my 1L year to where I may end up practicing. Different state to where i am now.

I just finished my 1L year at a currently non-ranked school. They went through a bad patch with some problems with ownership and Infilaw. Their reputation is fast improving, but a stigma still lingers overhead. I finished top 10%, got on law review, LRAW fellow, research assistant for a book being published, some externships lined up, 80% scholarship.

I have been accepted into a much higher ranked school in the state i may practice in. But would lose class rank etc. They have offered a 40% scholarship.

Finance is a big concern for me. Would it be wise to stick it out at my current school and keep the awards I have so far, or risk transferring to a different school? I've have people advise BOTH SIDES. Some attorney friends in the area where i may move to recommended I stay put as it's going well.

This is probably a no brainer for most people, but I have a family with 3 young kids that makes this a more difficult decision. Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated!

Mullens

Silver

Re: Non-ranked to ranked school transfer

Postby Mullens » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:29 pm

If you school was owned by infilaw then it's reputation is not improving and won't improve. You should transfer to get the stain off your resume.

smcdonald

New

Postby smcdonald » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:34 pm

It was never actually owned by Infilaw. They tried to buy it but there were major objections to it by staff and students. Eventually all fell through and it was bought by a local attorney who has made some huge changes already.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Postby criminaltheory » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 pm

Hard to see Charleston placing anywhere but in Charleston and the lowcountry. How important is leaving the state when you graduate? what is your connection to the charleston area? You don't say what your professional goals are so it's hard to give advice, but if you want to work in another state and you got in there with a little green, all other things being equal, it might be the better choice to transfer.

But like you said, you're in the top 10% and have some decent credentials --It would suck to give that up for a school that is still not going to give you a good shot at what you want to do/get you a job at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�