. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Last edited by brinicolec on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maraschino

New

Re: Mood disorder addendum?

Post by maraschino » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:47 pm

I have a similar story, interested to hear the responses you get.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:32 am

maraschino wrote:I have a similar story, interested to hear the responses you get.
Unfortunately, looks like no one has any insight on this one :?

Sweetneers

New

Post by Sweetneers » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:42 am

I think provided that you can show it will not affect your in law school, I don't see very many reasons to not include one. Of course, you'll have to avoid all of the standard advice: don't sound whiny, keep it short, stick to the facts, etc., but to me, it sounds like a legitimate medical situation that I think would help to explain your GPA. With that said, don't expect miracles.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:51 am

I was in a similar spot, but I ended up taking time off for my mental health issues. I only disclosed when schools asked me in the app if I took more than a semester off and why. I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in very vague, but accurate, terms. I didn't fully disclose because I was worried about it affecting my chances of admission, and I didn't receive disability accommodations during law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:04 am

Last edited by brinicolec on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:25 am

brinicolec wrote:
HankBashir wrote:I was in a similar spot, but I ended up taking time off for my mental health issues. I only disclosed when schools asked me in the app if I took more than a semester off and why. I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in very vague, but accurate, terms. I didn't fully disclose because I was worried about it affecting my chances of admission, and I didn't receive disability accommodations during law school.
I also wouldn't be going for disability accommodations. I've always avoided doing so. So would you recommend vaguely explaining or not saying anything? I understand it's a bit different since you took time off but I suppose my concern is that since I DIDN'T take any time off, my GPA took a little bit of a hit for it and I'm wondering if I should be explaining that to adcomm.
It might be worth getting into detail because you've had a negative grade trend (I had the opposite). I would also reiterate at the end that you've taken measures to deal with it and it won't severely effect you academically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”