LSAC GPA vs. UG GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

LSAC GPA vs. UG GPA?

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Which one should I be looking @ when considering schools I can apply to? There's a tenth of a difference according to the 7sage calculator (and a 3.3 vs. a 3.4 seems like it could make a big difference when looking @ some medians).

Nachoo2019

Silver

Re: LSAC GPA vs. UG GPA?

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:34 pm

LSAC cum GPA is the only thing they look at. UG schools calculate grades slightly differently so the LSAC calculated GPA is what schools look at for admission.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:LSAC cum GPA is the only thing they look at. UG schools calculate grades slightly differently so the LSAC calculated GPA is what schools look at for admission.

So basically, I should be putting 3.4 (my approx. LSAC GPA) instead of a 3.3 (my UGPA) when trying to calculate my chances to get into certain schools on like myLSN or something?

Thanks for the quick response, btw.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:44 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:LSAC cum GPA is the only thing they look at. UG schools calculate grades slightly differently so the LSAC calculated GPA is what schools look at for admission.

So basically, I should be putting 3.4 (my approx. LSAC GPA) instead of a 3.3 (my UGPA) when trying to calculate my chances to get into certain schools on like myLSN or something?

No problem. And yes you should calculate the 3.4

LSAC calculates grades the same for every applicant so that GPAs are on an even playing field no matter what school you go to for UG

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:42 pm

brinicolec wrote:

I'm in the same boat, buddy. My UGPA is a 3.62 and my LSAC GPA is a 3.69 (thanks to A+'s and some college classes from high school).... it's a beautiful thing *single teardrop*

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:30 pm

mwells56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I'm in the same boat, buddy. My UGPA is a 3.62 and my LSAC GPA is a 3.69 (thanks to A+'s and some college classes from high school).... it's a beautiful thing *single teardrop*

Lol, especially since mine's on the lower end of the spectrum. That tenth of a point is gonna be helpful.

benwyatt

Platinum

Postby benwyatt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:32 pm

You GPA should not determine where you apply. If you want to go to Yale, go there. Maybe your chances are shit but it's worth the application. Regardless, pay attention to the LSAC GPA.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:37 pm

benwyatt wrote:You GPA should not determine where you apply. If you want to go to Yale, go there. Maybe your chances are shit but it's worth the application. Regardless, pay attention to the LSAC GPA.

Luckily Harvard and Yale were never really on my list of places I want to go, I'd probably be way down in the dumps by now. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�