Letter of Recommendation Decision??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acz26

Bronze

Letter of Recommendation Decision??

Postby acz26 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide from whom I should get my second letter of recommendation. I have taken 4 courses with the same Hebrew professor (half of which were 2 credits, and half of which were 4), she seems to really like me, and I have done well academically. Because the classes have been so small (anywhere from 2 to 8 students each time), and she knows me so well, I am tempted to ask her for a letter of rec. That being said, I'm not certain how strong/compelling of a writer she would be since English is her second language. Do you think that these factors make her a strong or weak choice for a letter of rec?

My other option would be my English tutor from my Oxford study abroad course; she is a prize-winning poet, but she made it clear to me that she was unsure about how to write a proper "American" letter of recommendation. She has seen me in group settings, but we predominantly worked together 1-on-1. She and I also got along very well, and she knows me on a personal level and has worked with my writing in depth. (my major is English, and my first letter of rec is from an English prof...if those factors are relevant)

Which would be better?

Looking for some well-reasoned thoughts.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Re: Letter of Recommendation Decision??

Postby Lawcat11 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:51 am

Whomever will give you a better letter is better. It sounds like Oxford lady may be a little reluctant, or perhaps I'm misreading that. I would ask your Hebrew professor and see what she says. She's probably a lot more experienced at writing rec letters and will get it in sooner.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�