MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Caesar Salad

Diamond

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Caesar Salad » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
Caesar Salad wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:Brb rape motivation is relevant in court. I raped you for love, does that mean it's ok? Are you suddenly ok with it?

Honey, just stop. This is embarrassing. There are actual legal definitions of crimes.

Besides, you just said it was legal, so where does the analogy with rape come from?

Just because strip search is legal doesn't mean it's not assault. Whether the law wants to recognize it or not. Ever seen someone resisting a strip search and what happens?

This is a good point. It's like drunk driving laws. I have a high tolerance, so I'm sober even when I'm above the legal limit. Just because the law recognizes I was drunk driving doesn't mean I actually was.

So do you agree there needs to be reform to DUI laws?

I think you should be able to get a DDL, a drunk drivers license. Like a CDL, there would be an extra test to pass, in this case to prove you're a proficient driver at a BAC higher than the legal limit. Think of how many sexual assaults that could prevent.

prospectiveT14

New

Postby prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:56 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:"The Sex Crime of Voyeurism. Voyeurism is often defined as illegally recording another person, often for sexual gratification. The actual definition varies by each jurisdiction in accordance with the state's definition of the crime. The consequences of being convicted of this crime are often quite serious."

"Often for sexual gratification" doesn't necessarily need to happen for it to be happen illegal. Tell me, don't you think someone being watched without consent is illegal in the same way?

Not if their consent isn't needed, which is why the definition you linked says, "illegally recording another person."

You cannot legally strip someone against their will, the same way you cannot force someone to take a breathalyzer.

You know that no one actually forces you to take a breathalyzer test, right?

Actually, I'm guessing you don't know that.

I JUST said that. You cannot force someone to take one.

prospectiveT14

New

Postby prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Caesar Salad wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
Caesar Salad wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:Brb rape motivation is relevant in court. I raped you for love, does that mean it's ok? Are you suddenly ok with it?

Honey, just stop. This is embarrassing. There are actual legal definitions of crimes.

Besides, you just said it was legal, so where does the analogy with rape come from?

Just because strip search is legal doesn't mean it's not assault. Whether the law wants to recognize it or not. Ever seen someone resisting a strip search and what happens?

This is a good point. It's like drunk driving laws. I have a high tolerance, so I'm sober even when I'm above the legal limit. Just because the law recognizes I was drunk driving doesn't mean I actually was.

So do you agree there needs to be reform to DUI laws?

I think you should be able to get a DDL, a drunk drivers license. Like a CDL, there would be an extra test to pass, in this case to prove you're a proficient driver at a BAC higher than the legal limit. Think of how many sexual assaults that could prevent.

prospectiveT14

New

Postby prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

I feel like you guys should be picketing outside DUI attorney offices and messing with breathalyzer experts. You would have a field day.

Mockingbird42

New

Postby Mockingbird42 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Strip searches before going to jail != sexual assault
Death penalty executions != murder
Lawful imprisonment != kidnapping
And, despite what I may think in April, Compusive Taxation != stealing

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:"The Sex Crime of Voyeurism. Voyeurism is often defined as illegally recording another person, often for sexual gratification. The actual definition varies by each jurisdiction in accordance with the state's definition of the crime. The consequences of being convicted of this crime are often quite serious."

"Often for sexual gratification" doesn't necessarily need to happen for it to be happen illegal. Tell me, don't you think someone being watched without consent is illegal in the same way?

Not if their consent isn't needed, which is why the definition you linked says, "illegally recording another person."

You cannot legally strip someone against their will, the same way you cannot force someone to take a breathalyzer.

I don't understand what you're saying here. You can legally strip someone against their will. You already admitted it. That's what that Supreme Court case you linked to said. You can strip search people in custody regardless of whether they want you to.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

HAHAHAHA! This is getting too funny. OP, I take back everything I said. I'm also adding that quote into my TLS text box. Too good to forget.

"I raped you for love, does that mean its ok?" - ProspectiveTTT
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Mockingbird42 wrote:Strip searches before going to jail != sexual assault
Death penalty executions != murder
Lawful imprisonment != kidnapping
And, despite what I may think in April, Compusive Taxation != stealing

Oh no! We're going to summon the libertarians!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barcafan17

New

Postby barcafan17 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Man, TLS attracts some truly strange people. Troll or not, what kind of person feels the need to waste hours of their life writing this stuff?

prospectiveT14

New

Postby prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 pm

barcafan17 wrote:Man, TLS attracts some truly strange people. Troll or not, what kind of person feels the need to waste hours of their life writing this stuff?

Writing about very real issues that you haven't experienced firsthand thus don't care about that much?

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:55 pm

why don't you think anyone on TLS has been to jail?

prospectiveT14

New

Postby prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:06 pm

pancakes3 wrote:why don't you think anyone on TLS has been to jail?

You asked for it, again:

I.never.said.that

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 pm

you imply it by asserting that none of us know what we're talking about and how we've never been subject to your experiences.

prospectiveT14

New

Postby prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 pm

pancakes3 wrote:you imply it by asserting that none of us know what we're talking about and how we've never been subject to your experiences.

I asked barcafan. Someone who has gone through it wouldn't say talking about it is a waste of time.

I didn't speak for anyone else.

LSRAT

Bronze

Postby LSRAT » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:55 pm

This has been a lovely break from RC drilling.

I just imagine most of these posts being delivered with the gusto of Bernie Sanders and the conviction of Donald Trump.

JonTheMandamus

New

Postby JonTheMandamus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 pm

Tagging. I'm going to enjoy this one page a day on the bus ride home from work. No spoilers please. I'm bookmarked at page 3.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

OP, all of this is reminding me of a line from a movie I saw a while ago:

"If someone calls you a horse, punch them in the nose. If a second person calls you a horse, call them a jerk. But if a third person calls you a horse, well then maybe it's time to go shopping for a saddle."

Face it, you're a horse. A horse with a terrible, terrible narcissism problem.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:53 pm

JonTheMandamus wrote:Tagging. I'm going to enjoy this one page a day on the bus ride home from work. No spoilers please. I'm bookmarked at page 3.

Dumbledore dies.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:09 pm

JonTheMandamus wrote:Tagging. I'm going to enjoy this one page a day on the bus ride home from work. No spoilers please. I'm bookmarked at page 3.

:lol: It keeps getting better!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:54 am

Man, oh man. I really needed this. I've been caught up watching all of this tragedy on CNN and hadn't laughed in like two days. This brought real tears. OP is definitely in for a rude awakening about law if she manages to wiggle her way into a LS after explaining how her strip search sexual assault made her hungry for justice and excuses!

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:05 am

WOW ok so this was a lot of fun. I'm regretting apologizing in that post earlier, clearly I was right the first time...

Now that I've given this puppy a solid read-through, I have a few things to say...

1) Somewhere I saw it mentioned you weren't read your Miranda Rights. Were you brought in for questioning upon the arrest? If you weren't, they actually don't need to read them to you. Not every person that's arrested needs to be read their rights, only people that are going to be questioned. I'm 99.99% sure this is true across the US, but I know for certain that's the case in NY.

2) The drunk driving thing. Yes, no shit most people who drink don't get into an accident. That's because most times a person drives, they don't get in to an accident. Then you mentioned something about how a lot of drunk driving accidents would have happened anyway if the driver wasn't drunk. Let me throw some math at you. Have you ever heard of the conjunction fallacy? If not, basically the idea of it that the probability of any two things happening simultaneously is less likely than either one of those things happening at all. That's because the probability of anything happening is a fraction, and any two fractions multiplied leads to a smaller fraction.

So yes, the likelihood that the accident was caused by drinking AND something else is smaller than the likelihood of just getting in to an accident. That's how math works, so congratulations you got that one right. HOWEVER, the PROPORTION of accidents that happen WHEN A PERSON IS ALREADY DRUNK is a larger PROPORTION than that of people who ARE NOT DRUNK.

That is why it is considered dangerous behavior, and why there is an active (and pretty successful) campaign to cut down on drunk driving. You ever see the movie Animal House? That scene when the dean's wife comes to the frat house and she's clearly sloshed when she pulls up? Yeah, back then nobody thought that was anything out of the ordinary. So clearly something that the police are doing is working because drunk driving rates have gone down significantly in recent decades.

3) Wow, and people say that kids my age are entitled little shits. You seem to want all these bad things that you've done to simply just fly away because it's making you feel bad *single teardrop*. People that do bad shit don't get the benefit of the doubt just because they're sorry about it or regret it. You still did the bad thing. Nothing will ever change that. It happened. You need to live with that and accept whatever (if any) consequences come with it. A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones reference--Stannis still cut off a few bits of Ser Davos's fingers even after Davos saved his life, because Davos was still a criminal (he was a known smuggler).

TuxedoCats

New

Postby TuxedoCats » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 am

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:25 am

TuxedoCats wrote:Is this you?

https://twitter.com/_Flor1daWoman
This is amazing.

Mr. Peanutbutter