MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:49 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:Brb rape motivation is relevant in court. I raped you for love, does that mean it's ok? Are you suddenly ok with it?
Honey, just stop. This is embarrassing. There are actual legal definitions of crimes.

Besides, you just said it was legal, so where does the analogy with rape come from?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:50 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:Brb rape motivation is relevant in court. I raped you for love, does that mean it's ok? Are you suddenly ok with it?
They said intention was relevant. These distinctions will end up being important if (Odin forbid) you ever find yourself in a law class.

If you intend to have sex with someone against their consent, it's rape, regardless of what emotion motivated you.

TuxedoCats

New

Post by TuxedoCats » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:56 pm

SERENITY NOW

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
They said intention was relevant. These distinctions will end up being important if (Odin forbid) you ever find yourself in a law class.

If you intend to have sex with someone against their consent, it's rape, regardless of what emotion motivated you.
Brb rape intention is important, the reason why I did it will change the judges verdict

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:05 pm

*casts*
Watch the bobber

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Honey, just stop. This is embarrassing. There are actual legal definitions of crimes.

Besides, you just said it was legal, so where does the analogy with rape come from?

Just because strip search is legal doesn't mean it's not assault. Whether the law wants to recognize it or not. Ever seen someone resisting a strip search and what happens?

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:07 pm

put some tension on the line

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:12 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Just because strip search is legal doesn't mean it's not assault. Whether the law wants to recognize it or not. Ever seen someone resisting a strip search and what happens?
I... I just can't. I can't even with this.

At some point, you have to take off the mask and let us all know that you're trolling, because it's unfair to make me think that someone like this has even an outside chance at practicing law.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:12 pm

don't set it yet. let them swallow it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I... I just can't. I can't even with this.

At some point, you have to take off the mask and let us all know that you're trolling, because it's unfair to make me think that someone like this has even an outside chance at practicing law.

Do you have anything actually addressing my point or you're just going to assume I'm trolling. Just because someone didn't have the same life experiences as you of not being arrested, not being sexually abused, not dealing with a cop who acted unlawfully doesn't mean that the world is in line with your view of what is wholesome and perfect. The law needs a lot of work so stop defending things just because they're legal. Gay marriage wasn't legal until recently so come and tell me marabout what's OK just because the law says so.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:15 pm

there you go, reel it just a bit. make them follow

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Kali the Annihilator wrote:there you go, reel it just a bit. make them follow

No ones listening to u :(

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:16 pm

bounce the rod a bit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:17 pm

In all seriousness, guys, this is my last weekend at my day job, and this thread has been a fantastic way to pass the time. Let's keep it going a few more days, at least.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:20 pm

it's getting pretty hot out
maybe we should move the bait?
i bet they're biting in the lounge

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Brb rape intention is important, the reason why I did it will change the judges verdict
You're misunderstanding the difference between intent and motive.

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Okay "I didn't intend to" does not equal "I had no motivation to" ?

Saying intent is during and motivation is prior?

Either one I'm saying would be irrelevant when it comes to rape. The victim still walks away feeling stripped

Many forms of rape/molestation - victims of voyeurism

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:42 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Okay "I didn't intend to" does not equal "I had no motivation to" ?

Saying intent is during and motivation is prior?

Either one I'm saying would be irrelevant when it comes to rape. The victim still walks away feeling stripped

Many forms of rape/molestation - victims of voyeurism
Intent is what you desire to do. Motive is your reason for doing so.

If I shoot someone with the desire to kill them, I have the intent to kill. This means that I'm guilty of murder.

But if my reason for shooting them, my motivation, was because they were about to shoot me, then I have committed the act in self-defense. Or at least I'll hope a jury sees it that way. My motivation in no way changes my intent. I still shot at them to kill them.

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:43 pm

"The Sex Crime of Voyeurism. Voyeurism is often defined as illegally recording another person, often for sexual gratification. The actual definition varies by each jurisdiction in accordance with the state's definition of the crime. The consequences of being convicted of this crime are often quite serious."

"Often for sexual gratification" doesn't necessarily need to happen for it to be happen illegal. Tell me, don't you think someone being watched without consent is illegal in the same way?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:44 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:"The Sex Crime of Voyeurism. Voyeurism is often defined as illegally recording another person, often for sexual gratification. The actual definition varies by each jurisdiction in accordance with the state's definition of the crime. The consequences of being convicted of this crime are often quite serious."

"Often for sexual gratification" doesn't necessarily need to happen for it to be happen illegal. Tell me, don't you think someone being watched without consent is illegal in the same way?
Not if their consent isn't needed, which is why the definition you linked says, "illegally recording another person."

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:46 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

This is a good point. It's like drunk driving laws. I have a high tolerance, so I'm sober even when I'm above the legal limit. Just because the law recognizes I was drunk driving doesn't mean I actually was.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:50 pm

"The Sex Crime of Voyeurism. Voyeurism is often defined as illegally recording another person, often for sexual gratification. The actual definition varies by each jurisdiction in accordance with the state's definition of the crime. The consequences of being convicted of this crime are often quite serious."

http://www.alternet.org/investigations/ ... ens-prison

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Caesar Salad wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

This is a good point. It's like drunk driving laws. I have a high tolerance, so I'm sober even when I'm above the legal limit. Just because the law recognizes I was drunk driving doesn't mean I actually was.
So do you agree there needs to be reform to DUI laws?

prospectiveT14

New

Post by prospectiveT14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:"The Sex Crime of Voyeurism. Voyeurism is often defined as illegally recording another person, often for sexual gratification. The actual definition varies by each jurisdiction in accordance with the state's definition of the crime. The consequences of being convicted of this crime are often quite serious."

Not if their consent isn't needed, which is why the definition you linked says, "illegally recording another person."
You cannot legally strip someone against their will, the same way you cannot force someone to take a breathalyzer.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You cannot legally strip someone against their will, the same way you cannot force someone to take a breathalyzer.
You know that no one actually forces you to take a breathalyzer test, right?

Actually, I'm guessing you don't know that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”