MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi so I'm a 27 yr old f...just wrapping up my AA (better late than never I guess) and then trying to decide on a university to go to after depending on my financial aid awards and how I can afford to live in a different city...on my own, going to school, and paying bills

many questions. I've been making outlines of all the tips I've been reading from my law admission books but there's still so many gray areas left unanswered.

I have the following information and I don't know whether to include it when I go to apply for law schools:

1. URM? - I'm Cuban/Romanian
2. ADOPTED - Romanian because I was adopted - but by Cuban parents at the age of 2. I was an orphan for about 2 years in Romania. I'm fully bilingual in English/Spanish - speak read write. I plan to CLEP Spanish for 8 credits (not sure if it's gonna come up as excess credits or fast track getting my AA?)
3. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - I have domestic violence in my family, my father has been arrested and got counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and assault against elderly (my mom)
4. SOCIO ECONOMIC - we grew up struggling because my dad lost his main job when the economy tanked and he no longer had his truck he used for work. parents never had a savings
5. ELDERLY PARENTS - my parents are both elderly, a lot older than most parents, so my upbringing was not quite the most normal
6. A SEALED ARREST - I have been arrested and the charge is reckless driving (with adj) but it will be sealed by the end of this year. i plan to disclose it on my apps bc the bar will judge you for character issues down the road if you don't, right?
7. BAD GRADES AT FIRST - the beginning of my undergrad transcripts are a mess because I have a bunch of classes that were W (withdrawal) and some F's because I was just so out of it when I started school I couldn't bring myself to drop the classes sometimes (I had about 5 years of being on/off attempted medication prescriptions for anxiety but I never liked taking them) i also had to work since I was 16, luckily I gained a lot of professional experience in different industries

so I'm in a slightly better place in my life right now and

8. JUGGLING EVERYTHING - I currently have an internship with a bar association doing immigration in the downtown courts and I also work a part time job and go to school. I'm hoping I get financial aid this year because I can't afford to keep paying out of pocket.

so all in all, I'm not really sure in what direction to go with my personal statement. And I'm not sure how my UGPA is going to look when the LSAC calculates it? I can't throw away those 1st attempts. My school's policy allows me to repeat the classes and do academic forgiveness. So far I've turned two F's into A's from that policy and that could easily mean a 4.0 through the school if they're all eventually A's but will that still be a 4.0 after LSAC looks at everything? If I have 60 credits for my first two years already fulfilled with A's can they really count against me F's that exceed those 60 credits?

I believe I can score well on the LSAT and bump up my GPA to 3.8-4.0, do extracurriculars, all that... but my arrest and my beginning semesters being calculated into my UGPA are really worrying me about killing my chances at a T14. I've been in trauma therapy since the arrest because it's all I think about - I relive the night the cop arrested me over and over and wishing I had said anything different or pleaded more. I knew that day was going to affect my future I just didn't realize how much[/b]

how do you guys interpret all this? what would you do in my situation?

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby RamTitan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:38 pm

To clarify, you still need to get your bachelors' degree? Don't even worry about law school right now, focus on doing well there and see what happens.

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:46 pm

No offense but why would I wait until I'm done with my bachelors to worry about all this? The top law schools are looking for students who make meaningful contributions - I have to strategize this with adequate time. Moreover, they tell you to take your LSAT your junior year of college, which would be next year for me.

Undergrad is really easy at 27, I've learned from my mistakes and am going back with a lot of organizational tactics implemented in my coursework. So much so I want to take an honors contract (can't do honors college bc you need to be a first year student coming in) with a professor so I can graduate with honors on my transcripts.

So yeah I'm not really sure why you're asking me to procrastinate this when I have so much to try and get ahead of.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:48 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:Hi so I'm a 27 yr old f...just wrapping up my AA (better late than never I guess) and then trying to decide on a university to go to after depending on my financial aid awards and how I can afford to live in a different city...on my own, going to school, and paying bills

many questions. I've been making outlines of all the tips I've been reading from my law admission books but there's still so many gray areas left unanswered.

I have the following information and I don't know whether to include it when I go to apply for law schools:

1. URM? - I'm Cuban/Romanian
2. ADOPTED - Romanian because I was adopted - but by Cuban parents at the age of 2. I was an orphan for about 2 years in Romania. I'm fully bilingual in English/Spanish - speak read write. I plan to CLEP Spanish for 8 credits (not sure if it's gonna come up as excess credits or fast track getting my AA?)
3. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - I have domestic violence in my family, my father has been arrested and got counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and assault against elderly (my mom)
4. SOCIO ECONOMIC - we grew up struggling because my dad lost his main job when the economy tanked and he no longer had his truck he used for work. parents never had a savings
5. ELDERLY PARENTS - my parents are both elderly, a lot older than most parents, so my upbringing was not quite the most normal
6. A SEALED ARREST - I have been arrested and the charge is reckless driving (with adj) but it will be sealed by the end of this year. i plan to disclose it on my apps bc the bar will judge you for character issues down the road if you don't, right?
7. BAD GRADES AT FIRST - the beginning of my undergrad transcripts are a mess because I have a bunch of classes that were W (withdrawal) and some F's because I was just so out of it when I started school I couldn't bring myself to drop the classes sometimes (I had about 5 years of being on/off attempted medication prescriptions for anxiety but I never liked taking them) i also had to work since I was 16, luckily I gained a lot of professional experience in different industries

so I'm in a slightly better place in my life right now and

8. JUGGLING EVERYTHING - I currently have an internship with a bar association doing immigration in the downtown courts and I also work a part time job and go to school. I'm hoping I get financial aid this year because I can't afford to keep paying out of pocket.

so all in all, I'm not really sure in what direction to go with my personal statement. And I'm not sure how my UGPA is going to look when the LSAC calculates it? I can't throw away those 1st attempts. My school's policy allows me to repeat the classes and do academic forgiveness. So far I've turned two F's into A's from that policy and that could easily mean a 4.0 through the school if they're all eventually A's but will that still be a 4.0 after LSAC looks at everything? If I have 60 credits for my first two years already fulfilled with A's can they really count against me F's that exceed those 60 credits?

I believe I can score well on the LSAT and bump up my GPA to 3.8-4.0, do extracurriculars, all that... but my arrest and my beginning semesters being calculated into my UGPA are really worrying me about killing my chances at a T14. I've been in trauma therapy since the arrest because it's all I think about - I relive the night the cop arrested me over and over and wishing I had said anything different or pleaded more. I knew that day was going to affect my future I just didn't realize how much[/b]

how do you guys interpret all this? what would you do in my situation?


prospectiveT14 wrote:No offense but why would I wait until I'm done with my bachelors to worry about all this? The top law schools are looking for students who make meaningful contributions - I have to strategize this with adequate time. Moreover, they tell you to take your LSAT your junior year of college, which would be next year for me.

Undergrad is really easy at 27, I've learned from my mistakes and am going back with a lot of organizational tactics implemented in my coursework. So much so I want to take an honors contract (can't do honors college bc you need to be a first year student coming in) with a professor so I can graduate with honors on my transcripts.

So yeah I'm not really sure why you're asking me to procrastinate this when I have so much to try and get ahead of.


Dude RamTitan is trying to help you. Don't ask for interpretations if you're not open to hearing what others, well, interpret. :o

Now to answer your questions. Whatever grades you get on your UG transcript will be calculated into your LSAC GPA. If the F's are still there, then yes they will be calculated, if not, then no. At least I don't think so.
From what you've written, I would err on the safe side and say I think they're gonna be calculated in. Not 100%, but I don't think they just disappear. Be prepared to write an addendum about what caused the low grades. F's are bad. W's aren't usually a big deal. You've got an overall upward trend, so that will be a good thing.

Here's a thread in regards to if Cubans get a URM boost: viewtopic.php?t=110487

There seems to be some debate, but I wouldn't count on it. But again, I don't actually know. I would write a good diversity statement. However, the fact you weren't born Cuban may lead to you not receiving a URM boost. I am kind of interested in this myself. I think someone more knowledgable will be able to answer that. I will tell you as a URM myself (African American) don't think about the boost. Don't use it as a crutch. Try your best and don't let it make you complacent. Now I know everyone says they won't, but it is easier to fall into that line of thinking than you would imagine. As I study for the LSAT in September, I sometimes find myself thinking "What is the point of killing myself for a 172 when I can get into Harvard with a 165?) Just have to ignore it and try your best. Forget about URM and all that stuff, especially for now.

RamTitan is correct. Don't worry about the LSAT right now. A score is only good for 5 years, and you've already got 2 years left of college. Who knows what might happen in that time. You may completely change your mind. Focus on maintaining good grades for now and securing good LOR by building good rapport with some profs. I knew I wanted to go to law school, so I put a lot of time into getting to know my Profs on a personal level, made sure we stayed in touch, and took 2-3 classes with the ones I felt would write the best letters for me. It is paying off big time now.

The arrest doesn't seem like a huge deal and it certainly won't help, but overall, I don't think it will prevent you from getting in to any schools your numbers would get you into.

As for the laundry list of adverse things you've overcome... I think if you genuinely talk about how maybe one or two of them show how you overcame adversity this could be helpful. Try to weave in how and why you want to be a lawyer. It would seem like a pity party to the admissions committee is you just wrote 2 pages on every single bad thing. But as I've said, I think picking a couple and really writing a strong statement about overcoming the adversity and such can be the base of a good PS.

I would suggest weaving in the Cuban/Romanian/low socioeconomic stuff into a diversity statement and then use something else for the focus of your PS.


So, yeah, to sum it up: I think you should be careful not to get ahead of yourself. If you don't mind me asking, why law?
If you want to start prepping for the LSAT, I don't see any harm in taking initiative so long as you don't let it interfere with your GPA.
I'd completely forget about the boost, because I don't think you'll get it. It is worth asking around, though, because I am not 100% sure.
I think you have some good fodder from a PS and DS and your internship will be a soft factor for you admission.

Hope this helps a bit...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:33 am

I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about. The applications alone can take up to a year to devise, again, WHY would I not take my time preparing all this when it's around the corner? I'm trying to make rolling admissions and have everything set up before I apply.

http://media.law.miami.edu/hope/pdf/201 ... -17-18.pdf

^ Look at those bios, these are people who got 100% scholarships - they kept busy with extracurricular and managed high achievements in different areas. I'm up against Harvard grads who have pretty much won purple hearts because they were also in the military.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford law school unless I get offered at least a 75% scholarship and living stipend. I don't even know if I would qualify for loans with bad credit (535 currently.)

Yes, I am studying now for the LSAT, I study a little bit everyday it's not overwhelming. I've bought the powerscore books, use LSAT apps, and use old indexed LSAT tests. This doesn't interfere with my grades - like I said - community college is easy. I'm concerned about getting into a top state school (for the remaining 2 years of uni) after this but I'd have to save up money to move over there. All this is putting a lot of stress on me because this is something I'll have to prepare within the next few months. I have to keep a diligent law school prep plan too while I do all this.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:48 am

prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about. The applications alone can take up to a year to devise, again, WHY would I not take my time preparing all this when it's around the corner? I'm trying to make rolling admissions and have everything set up before I apply.

http://media.law.miami.edu/hope/pdf/201 ... -17-18.pdf

^ Look at those bios, these are people who got 100% scholarships - they kept busy with extracurricular and managed high achievements in different areas. I'm up against Harvard grads who have pretty much won purple hearts because they were also in the military.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford law school unless I get offered at least a 75% scholarship and living stipend. I don't even know if I would qualify for loans with bad credit (535 currently.)

Yes, I am studying now for the LSAT, I study a little bit everyday it's not overwhelming. I've bought the powerscore books, use LSAT apps, and use old indexed LSAT tests. This doesn't interfere with my grades - like I said - community college is easy. I'm concerned about getting into a top state school (for the remaining 2 years of uni) after this but I'd have to save up money to move over there. All this is putting a lot of stress on me because this is something I'll have to prepare within the next few months. I have to keep a diligent law school prep plan too while I do all this.


QFP

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:44 am

prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about.


You're right. No one on this forum has ever applied to law school.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Mikey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:08 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about.


You're right. No one on this forum has ever applied to law school.

Lol TCR.

But seriously OP, people are just trying to help so don't appear to be rude about it, even if you don't mean to be. I don't believe Cuban's count as URM, according to law schools' definition of it at least, so you most likely won't get that boost. I think it could be a good idea however to incorporate your life experiences (not including your arrest) that you've shared with us into a personal statement. Possibly write about your struggle and how you overcame it, leading to how you have a new perspective on things (referring to when you said that you believe you're in a better place in life right now).

As for your F's, they will count towards your LSAC GPA regardless if you retook the course that you got an F in and got an A. Both grades will count.

As for your arrest, I don't have any knowledge on that area so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:14 am

prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about.



Lemme get comfy in here before the shit storm happens.

User avatar
Calbears123

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Calbears123 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:16 am

Monitoring this thread.

User avatar
jnwa

Silver
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:35 am

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby jnwa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 am

prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about. The applications alone can take up to a year to devise, again, WHY would I not take my time preparing all this when it's around the corner? I'm trying to make rolling admissions and have everything set up before I apply.

http://media.law.miami.edu/hope/pdf/201 ... -17-18.pdf

^ Look at those bios, these are people who got 100% scholarships - they kept busy with extracurricular and managed high achievements in different areas. I'm up against Harvard grads who have pretty much won purple hearts because they were also in the military.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford law school unless I get offered at least a 75% scholarship and living stipend. I don't even know if I would qualify for loans with bad credit (535 currently.)

Yes, I am studying now for the LSAT, I study a little bit everyday it's not overwhelming. I've bought the powerscore books, use LSAT apps, and use old indexed LSAT tests. This doesn't interfere with my grades - like I said - community college is easy. I'm concerned about getting into a top state school (for the remaining 2 years of uni) after this but I'd have to save up money to move over there. All this is putting a lot of stress on me because this is something I'll have to prepare within the next few months. I have to keep a diligent law school prep plan too while I do all this.


Get a 3.7 and a 160 and Miami will throw money at you(purple heart not required). I got a full ride with a stipend from a t14 as a k-jd with a shit gpa who did fuck all in undergrad. Relax and keep you GPA high then worry about the LSAT. Application takes about a month to develop max.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:33 am

prospectiveT14 wrote:Hi so I'm a 27 yr old f...just wrapping up my AA (better late than never I guess) and then trying to decide on a university to go to after depending on my financial aid awards and how I can afford to live in a different city...on my own, going to school, and paying bills

many questions. I've been making outlines of all the tips I've been reading from my law admission books but there's still so many gray areas left unanswered.


This is very early in the process for you...but the ambition is respected.

prospectiveT14 wrote:I have the following information and I don't know whether to include it when I go to apply for law schools:

1. URM? - I'm Cuban/Romanian
2. ADOPTED - Romanian because I was adopted - but by Cuban parents at the age of 2. I was an orphan for about 2 years in Romania. I'm fully bilingual in English/Spanish - speak read write. I plan to CLEP Spanish for 8 credits (not sure if it's gonna come up as excess credits or fast track getting my AA?)
3. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - I have domestic violence in my family, my father has been arrested and got counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and assault against elderly (my mom)
4. SOCIO ECONOMIC - we grew up struggling because my dad lost his main job when the economy tanked and he no longer had his truck he used for work. parents never had a savings
5. ELDERLY PARENTS - my parents are both elderly, a lot older than most parents, so my upbringing was not quite the most normal
6. A SEALED ARREST - I have been arrested and the charge is reckless driving (with adj) but it will be sealed by the end of this year. i plan to disclose it on my apps bc the bar will judge you for character issues down the road if you don't, right?
7. BAD GRADES AT FIRST - the beginning of my undergrad transcripts are a mess because I have a bunch of classes that were W (withdrawal) and some F's because I was just so out of it when I started school I couldn't bring myself to drop the classes sometimes (I had about 5 years of being on/off attempted medication prescriptions for anxiety but I never liked taking them) i also had to work since I was 16, luckily I gained a lot of professional experience in different industries

so I'm in a slightly better place in my life right now and

8. JUGGLING EVERYTHING - I currently have an internship with a bar association doing immigration in the downtown courts and I also work a part time job and go to school. I'm hoping I get financial aid this year because I can't afford to keep paying out of pocket.


1.) You would qualify as a URM.
2.) Good info to include in a diversity statement.
3.) I wouldn't really touch on that if I were you unless you have a fruitful way of incorporating how that experience made you a better person. Otherwise, it looks like an appeal to sympathy and that won't work with law schools or really any graduate institution.
4.) Diversity Statement once again, perhaps touched upon in PS.
5.) Neither here nor there. Technically there is no 'normal' upbringing for anyone. We've all got quirky parents/guardians with weird parental habits and features. No one's childhood or family life is normal and we all dealt with some fucked up shit whether it be abuse of any form/dom. violence/no money/no love/parent dying/cancer/adoption/drugs etc. Not to downplay your story at all, but you'll find that just about anyone you talk to can mention something fucked up about their family and life during their upbringing. It might be more of a oddity to have experienced childhood WITHOUT those things. That being said, if you can incorporate this in a tactful fashion that doesn't read 'Please let me in because my life has been so difficult', then do it. If not, leave it out. The primary factors are going to be your GPA, LSAT, work history and whether you can succeed in law school and in a career as a lawyer. Everything else is sort of grey area.
6.) Disclose it if the law school requests it. Some don't require you to divulge sealed, expunged records so read the application carefully and follow through. You'll need to explain it so do so in a way that doesn't sound like an excuse, but conveys that you've matured past the situation.
7.) GPA Addendum... although if you're going after your AA right now and then transferring to a 4 year institution, you have a considerable amount of time to establish a track record of getting excellent grades. I'd worry about that much more so than explaining what you did in the past. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

prospectiveT14 wrote:so all in all, I'm not really sure in what direction to go with my personal statement. And I'm not sure how my UGPA is going to look when the LSAC calculates it? I can't throw away those 1st attempts. My school's policy allows me to repeat the classes and do academic forgiveness. So far I've turned two F's into A's from that policy and that could easily mean a 4.0 through the school if they're all eventually A's but will that still be a 4.0 after LSAC looks at everything? If I have 60 credits for my first two years already fulfilled with A's can they really count against me F's that exceed those 60 credits?


They can and will. There's a thorough breakdown of what is and isn't counted against you on LSAC's website. Go check it out.


prospectiveT14 wrote:I believe I can score well on the LSAT and bump up my GPA to 3.8-4.0, do extracurriculars, all that... but my arrest and my beginning semesters being calculated into my UGPA are really worrying me about killing my chances at a T14. I've been in trauma therapy since the arrest because it's all I think about - I relive the night the cop arrested me over and over and wishing I had said anything different or pleaded more. I knew that day was going to affect my future I just didn't realize how much[/b]

how do you guys interpret all this? what would you do in my situation?




Doesn't seem as though its had any more effect on you than you've allowed it. I didn't read anywhere in your post where you were denied an opportunity or experience because of this arrest. It appears as though you've preemptively assumed this will cost you opportunity and have created anxiety for yourself on the basis of this assumption. Once again, this is a matter that you shouldn't stress over until you actually get screwed from it. And if you do, you do. You're an adult and a grown man. You fucked up, received due process and paid your debt to society, if any. Only thing you can do about it is accept that and move forward. You don't have a time machine and no matter how much you beat yourself in the head over it, you won't change the situation. You need to make peace with it. I can't say for sure how schools will look at it, but I highly doubt it would really be THE make or break factor of your entrance. You should have a pretty decent amount of time between you and that incident at the point you're ready to actually turn in applications and the record has been sealed, so you can divulge as much information as you care to. An arrest doesn't=guilt or a guilty verdict. You won't be defined by one arrest. You'll be defined by your overall character and your body of work as a human being/employee/academic that you present to these law schools. If that conveys a mature individual with the intelligence and aptitude to succeed at that given law school, you're in. Don't overthink things you can't change. Realize your position and try to make the best of it from there.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:36 am

Volunteer to work on Trump's campaign. After he makes America great again that experience will make you a shoe-in for Yale or Trump U

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:41 am

prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about. The applications alone can take up to a year to devise, again, WHY would I not take my time preparing all this when it's around the corner? I'm trying to make rolling admissions and have everything set up before I apply.

http://media.law.miami.edu/hope/pdf/201 ... -17-18.pdf

^ Look at those bios, these are people who got 100% scholarships - they kept busy with extracurricular and managed high achievements in different areas. I'm up against Harvard grads who have pretty much won purple hearts because they were also in the military.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford law school unless I get offered at least a 75% scholarship and living stipend. I don't even know if I would qualify for loans with bad credit (535 currently.)

Yes, I am studying now for the LSAT, I study a little bit everyday it's not overwhelming. I've bought the powerscore books, use LSAT apps, and use old indexed LSAT tests. This doesn't interfere with my grades - like I said - community college is easy. I'm concerned about getting into a top state school (for the remaining 2 years of uni) after this but I'd have to save up money to move over there. All this is putting a lot of stress on me because this is something I'll have to prepare within the next few months. I have to keep a diligent law school prep plan too while I do all this.



I don't understand the panic or urgency in your posts here. From what you've indicated, it appears you're at least 3 years away from even having the Bachelor's you need and 2 years away from the earliest point of consideration for law schools (acceptance contingent on completing the bachelor's). Its great to have the answers now and work on developing a plan, but you don't need to have it all laid out right now. Your life is still unfolding. Your GPA is still changing and your experiences and situation may be dramatically different over the course of the next 2-3 years. Hell, there's a chance you might not even want to pursue law school anymore in two years man.

I'm not saying to not take LS seriously...you should. And you've came to the right place if you want help because the people here are very intelligent and they've been where you've been already. But you should rev it back just a couple notches man, you've still got a long path to go. You don't want to drop the ball on what you need to focus on now worrying about something in the future that's CONTINGENT on your now.

Take that how you wish. I think the folks in the thread, myself included, have given you pretty thorough responses to the questions you've asked already.

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Okay - I have 8 Fs on my transcripts, it was like 5 attempts at semesters that turned into disasters.

I just don't see the point in retaking all these classes, to get As if LSAC is going to view a 4.0 GPA as a 2.7

It would make all this law school preparation pointless if law schools won't even admit me with a LSAC-calculated GPA

Also I see some mixed opinions on the Cuban/Romanian thing, is it URM or no?

How do you guys finance school loans with bad credit?

I want to go to UF or UM but UM is $50k a year

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:35 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:Also I see some mixed opinions on the Cuban/Romanian thing, is it URM or no?

From my understanding (what I've seen on forums and such), it doesn't seem like that would be URM. Most listings I've seen have had AA, Hispanic or Native American.


prospectiveT14 wrote:How do you guys finance school loans with bad credit?

I want to go to UF or UM but UM is $50k a year

My pre-law advisor basically said "whatever you do, don't take out loans from banks" and to do Federal Direct (I think?) instead. I'm not exactly sure how that would work when it comes to your current credit but, you do have a little time to try to get your score up too!
Last edited by brinicolec on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Mullens » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Okay - I have 8 Fs on my transcripts, it was like 5 attempts at semesters that turned into disasters.

I just don't see the point in retaking all these classes, to get As if LSAC is going to view a 4.0 GPA as a 2.7

It would make all this law school preparation pointless if law schools won't even admit me with a LSAC-calculated GPA

Also I see some mixed opinions on the Cuban/Romanian thing, is it URM or no?

How do you guys finance school loans with bad credit?

I want to go to UF or UM but UM is $50k a year


I do not believe you are a URM. If I understand correctly, you are ethnically Romanian (both your birth parents are Romanian?) and were adopted by Cuban parents. If that is the case, you are not a URM. That being said, your background is still very compelling from an admissions standpoint and well-written essay will boost your application slightly above what you might expect just from your numbers. I believe that if you get a great LSAT score (170+) that you might get into some T14s. Schools can, for the lack of a better term, hide low GPAs like yours for compelling candidates. It happens every year at every school. Don't lose hope because of your prior missteps.

Law schools give out a lot of financial aid.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 pm

TheMikey wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:I don't think you guys seem to understand what applying to law school is all about.


You're right. No one on this forum has ever applied to law school.

Lol TCR.

But seriously OP, people are just trying to help so don't appear to be rude about it, even if you don't mean to be. I don't believe Cuban's count as URM, according to law schools' definition of it at least, so you most likely won't get that boost. I think it could be a good idea however to incorporate your life experiences (not including your arrest) that you've shared with us into a personal statement. Possibly write about your struggle and how you overcame it, leading to how you have a new perspective on things (referring to when you said that you believe you're in a better place in life right now).

As for your F's, they will count towards your LSAC GPA regardless if you retook the course that you got an F in and got an A. Both grades will count.

As for your arrest, I don't have any knowledge on that area so maybe someone else can chime in on that.


You're right. No one on this forum has ever applied to law school.[/quote]

Dude, I spent like 15 minutes writing that response to you to help you....and that's your response? Why ask for help when all you're going to do is tell us we don't understand? I do understand, very well, as I am a recent grad, studying the the LSAT, and getting my apps together. I think you being on top of the ball is great! Keep focusing on good grades. If you find yourself with a ton of extra time and studying for the LSAT won't affect you, start preparing! But often things seem easier because we have nothing else going on, so you never know how prepping will affect your studies until your try it I suppose.

I personally think one of the best decisions I made was to wait until I graduated to have time to just focus on the LSAT and gain work experience. I graduated with a 3.92 and I think that could have easily been a 3.7 if I wasn't able to focus entirely on my studies. Although, in hindsight, UG was mostly pretty simple, I was able to be involved with a lot of extracurriculars that I wouldn't have had time for if I was LSAT prepping sophomore/junior year. Also sometimes not always having to be doing some school related/LSAT related is better for you than you know. I attribute a lot of my success in undergrad to making sure I had plenty of time to have fun and do what I want.

I think that would be some good advice for you. Try to get involved in some more clubs and perhaps get some good work experience under your belt. And really just focus on your grades.

If you really want to start prepping for the LSAT, go ahead. I would just recommend that you can devote 4-6 months consistently to prepping for it. Consistency is key. I can't tell you how many people in undergrad I knew would study a week on/week off for like a year and still end up scoring pretty bad, whereas, people who put in 3 months consistently would score way better. So, in sum, just make sure you can put 20 hours a week or so towards prep consistently for 4-6 months. IF you're doing 6 months, 15 hours a week might be fine, but for 4 months you may want to consider putting in 25 hours or so. Currently I put in about 4-5 hours a day 6 days a week. I feel like that is a good amount.

8)


ETA: Not sure on the Cuban URM thing. I tried to research a little, and it looks like there's a lot of disagreement. I wouldn't think you would be conserved a URM. I'm not even sure Cubans get a boost. But, again, don't focus on a boost. The second you start thinking about the boost is the second it isn't a boost anymore. You'll only be lowering your standards...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam

Gold
Posts: 4558
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:06 am

Your 8 Fs will be calculated even if you retake the classes. And no, your competition at Miami will not be Harvard grads with purple hearts.

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:25 pm

How can you graduate from an institution with the institution declaring you have a 4.0, graduate with distinction even...but LSAC considers it less because of previous Fs....."hi yes I graduated cum laude but your law school thinks I have a 2.7....ok" it just doesn't seem to make any sense


I'm thinking the dean can do an administrative adjustment to my transcript since I don't need more than 60, and he can just remove the Fs like a technical mistake

?

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Mullens wrote:
prospectiveT14 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Okay - I have 8 Fs on my transcripts, it was like 5 attempts at semesters that turned into disasters.

I just don't see the point in retaking all these classes, to get As if LSAC is going to view a 4.0 GPA as a 2.7

It would make all this law school preparation pointless if law schools won't even admit me with a LSAC-calculated GPA

Also I see some mixed opinions on the Cuban/Romanian thing, is it URM or no?

How do you guys finance school loans with bad credit?

I want to go to UF or UM but UM is $50k a year


I do not believe you are a URM. If I understand correctly, you are ethnically Romanian (both your birth parents are Romanian?) and were adopted by Cuban parents. If that is the case, you are not a URM. That being said, your background is still very compelling from an admissions standpoint and well-written essay will boost your application slightly above what you might expect just from your numbers. I believe that if you get a great LSAT score (170+) that you might get into some T14s. Schools can, for the lack of a better term, hide low GPAs like yours for compelling candidates. It happens every year at every school. Don't lose hope because of your prior missteps.

Law schools give out a lot of financial aid.




This is everything I wanted to hear, I just hope it's true :( thanks for the encouraging words, it means a lot. My life really hasn't been the same after the arrest, it's like someone ripped off the thick skin I had. I still try hard but emotionally I'm just gone

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Mullens wrote:


Law schools give out a lot of financial aid.



Is it their own or would it also be through FASFA? If it's not through fasfa how does it go?

My friend used up all his financial aid in undergrad because apparently there's some year limit to how many times you can get it. Is it the same pool of money or you get a new pool of money for graduate school?

User avatar
LandMermaid

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby LandMermaid » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:11 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:How can you graduate from an institution with the institution declaring you have a 4.0, graduate with distinction even...but LSAC considers it less because of previous Fs....."hi yes I graduated cum laude but your law school thinks I have a 2.7....ok" it just doesn't seem to make any sense


I'm thinking the dean can do an administrative adjustment to my transcript since I don't need more than 60, and he can just remove the Fs like a technical mistake

?


Why would counting both As and Fs be less fair when it comes to competitive admissions than just counting your retakes? You got both Fs and As. Other people would have only gotten the A and that should be viewed differently than your situation in the eyes of adcomms. It's not like the As don't count at all, they're weighted alongside bad grades. and It wasn't a technical mistake.... You failed classes. They'll see the retakes and see improved grades, which is the most accurate depiction of your situation. The exact reason LSAC GPAs exist is to even out discrepancies like those between institutions that give out 4.0s with Fs, those institutions that wouldn't allow it for others, and people with 4.0s without retaken classes.
Last edited by LandMermaid on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prospectiveT14

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby prospectiveT14 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:14 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Your 8 Fs will be calculated even if you retake the classes. And no, your competition at Miami will not be Harvard grads with purple hearts.


The guy I intern with, he's a 2L at UM and tells me one of his classmates in law school detonates bombs for the military

Like...yeah, that school recruits exceptional ppl

User avatar
LandMermaid

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: MANY QUESTIONS! URM/REPEAT CLASSES/ETC

Postby LandMermaid » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 pm

prospectiveT14 wrote:
Mullens wrote:


Law schools give out a lot of financial aid.



Is it their own or would it also be through FASFA? If it's not through fasfa how does it go?

My friend used up all his financial aid in undergrad because apparently there's some year limit to how many times you can get it. Is it the same pool of money or you get a new pool of money for graduate school?


Also, law schools give out merit scholarships (basically they reduce the price of tuition). For example, using your ideal schools, I got a full ride to Miami just because I was over their LSAT and GPA medians. No special history required (I'm k-jd with no interesting characteristics or experiences at all)! If you get a good LSAT that will help your chances at getting this type of aid, and the rest can come out of designated federal loans for grad students, or private loans if for some reason you'd rather.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests