Getting into a Top 14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aasikd01

New

Getting into a Top 14

Postby aasikd01 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:41 pm

I graduated from the University of Louisville in May 2014 with a BA in Economics as a traditional 4 year student. I also minored in Political Science and Finance.

I received a C- and a D in Advanced Biology and Organic Chemistry I, respectively. I took these very difficult classes when I was a pre-med Bio major. Other than that, I received mostly A's, and a couple B's. My overall GPA was 3.67.

At U of L, I was a McConnell Scholar, a prestigious 4 year program that selects 10 students every year based on academic and leadership ability. It is meant to be a liberal arts "Ivy League" experience at Louisville. As a scholar, I met Joe Biden, John Boehner, Hilary Clinton, Aung San Suu Kyi, and a few other big political figures.

I studied abroad in China one summer in Shanghai, Xi'an, and Beijing. I also interned for the ACLU one semester, tutored refugees a semester, did international trade internship at KY World Trade Center, and did a lot of volunteering in college.

As of May 2016, I finished my two year commitment to Teach For America. I am going to teach for a 3rd year at my school.

During my second year teaching, I completed my first year of a Master's in Education online through Johns Hopkins. It is the 2nd best education program in the US. I am going to complete this program by June 2017, right before I plan to start law school.

So far, I've received all A's and A-'s in my Master's program. My GPA is 3.75 so far. I strongly believe I will continue to receive A's and A-'s in the program, with the possibility of one or two B's. (Side note: an A in most classes in a 95 and higher, while an A-is 90-94. I plan to mention this on my application.)

I want to use my Master's in Ed and law degree to go into school law, education policy, and/or non profit law or work. I'm also interested in antitrust or business law, based in my Economics background.

I am applying to law school in Fall 2016, and hope to start in Fall 2017. I am taking the LSAT at end of September. My practice tests averages are 162 as of June 2016. I am going to continue studying everyday in July (summer break, not doing much else), and in August in September when I continue teaching.

Based on all this info, I have two questions:

1.) Could I realistically reach a 165 (or even ideally a 170) when I take it in September? I believe achieving a 165 is realistic, assuming no major misfortune.

2.) Assuming I get a 165, and based on all the information I provided, could I get into a t14? What about a top 20? Top 30?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Re: Getting into a Top 14

Postby Lawcat11 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:14 pm

162 is a good diagnostic. 170 is definitely doable, aim for 180 though.

Also, only your UGPA matters, really. Your master's degree will be a soft, but those grades won't really factor into admissions.

tzzzok

New

Postby tzzzok » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:57 am

I'm assuming you are non-URM. I can't post images yet, unfortunately.

http://myLSN.info/zbesck_1-14.jpg

With a 3.67/165, any T-14 is gonna be a long shot -- even with your strong softs. You will get good money from T-30s though. But bump that LSAT by 5:

http://myLSN.info/rs78n6_1-14.jpg

With a 162 diagnostic, a 170 is totally attainable. Work on getting a high LSAT score!

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:03 am

Top 20 and top 30 is a meaningless distinction, no one knows or cares what the 26th ranked school is, nor do they think it's better than the 32nd ranked school or the 41st ranked school. Focus on job placement and cost, not arbitrary distinctions made by a defunct news magazine.

Undergraduate GPA and LSAT score (and URM status) is pretty much all that schools care about when it comes to admissions. Check out www.mylsn.info for chances.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:08 am

Also Johns Hopkins isn't the 2nd best education program and even if it is no one cares. These are meaningless distinctions. Ivy League experience at a random state school, met politicians...it doesn't matter. You've got to disabuse yourself of the notion that that stuff matters for law school (and beyond). Whatever you do, don't try to explain why an A- in your masters program should have been an A.

Figure out what kind of job you want and go get it at an appropriate cost. That's all that matters.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 am

If you study hard then yeah it's possible for September. But there's no need to mention the A- and A difference in your application for your masters degree. Only undergrad GPA matters, and your masters will at best just be a soft factor.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am

A 162 is a dope diagnostic. Don't shortchange yourself by shooting for a 165. I started with a 164, now I'm PTing with 177+.

Your softs sound great. Just kill the LSAT and the rest will fall into place.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�