Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
youngandtherestless

New

Admissions

Postby youngandtherestless » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:32 am

I am about to graduate university and I have no work experience or volunteer experience. I plan on applying to law school and I would like to know is it better to get a job and gain work experience, or instead volunteer at an organization. Also, is too late to join clubs because I will be moving to another city in a month. I am seeking advice on what I should do.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Admissions

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:18 am

It is best to do what you are most interested in doing.

Want to get a job and make money? Do that. Want to volunteer for a specific organization because you're passionate about their goals? Do that. Or do both.

There's no correct answer here. Your softs are far less important than your LSAT/GPA in determining your admissions, and unless your work experience is in an insanely selective field (working at the White House, etc.), all the ad comms are really looking at is that you have some experience outside of being a student.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:16 am

cavalier1138 wrote:It is best to do what you are most interested in doing.

Want to get a job and make money? Do that. Want to volunteer for a specific organization because you're passionate about their goals? Do that. Or do both.

There's no correct answer here. Your softs are far less important than your LSAT/GPA in determining your admissions, and unless your work experience is in an insanely selective field (working at the White House, etc.), all the ad comms are really looking at is that you have some experience outside of being a student.

+1. I would recommend you spend time either making money for law school (if cost will be a factor) or studying for the LSATs. Like cav said, your softs aren't that important. Lots of K-JD students end up at their top choice, and it's not because they're experienced. Good luck!

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:52 pm

Do what you want. Sincerity will come off better than you forcing a story together in an interview.

youngandtherestless

New

Postby youngandtherestless » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Thank you for the advice, do you recommend me working while studying for the LSAT?

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:48 pm

youngandtherestless wrote:Thank you for the advice, do you recommend me working while studying for the LSAT?

I would. If you're going to be working 95hrs/week and you can't study then no, but it's not hard to balance a normal job and studying a few hours a day on the side.

youngandtherestless

New

Postby youngandtherestless » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Thank you KMart.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�