delete

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uhwrestler

Bronze

delete

Postby uhwrestler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:09 pm

delete
Last edited by uhwrestler on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: weak masters gpa?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:12 pm

Masters GPAs aren't even entered into LSAC's calculations for your overall GPA, and schools don't consider them because of how widely the grading in graduate programs varies.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Postby uhwrestler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Masters GPAs aren't even entered into LSAC's calculations for your overall GPA, and schools don't consider them because of how widely the grading in graduate programs varies.

Last edited by uhwrestler on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:30 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Masters GPAs aren't even entered into LSAC's calculations for your overall GPA, and schools don't consider them because of how widely the grading in graduate programs varies.

thanks for the response....but since schools do look at apps as a whole do you think there will be some minor negative affect?

My guess is yeah, there might be some minor-negative affect, but as previously stated, the masters GPA doesn't calculate into the numbers. It probably doesn't look good, but I'm not sure if it warrants writing an addendum or not? That could be one way to mitigate any damage it could cause, but it is certainly better to get an opinion from someone with more knowledge and experience.

What was your LSAT?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Postby uhwrestler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:

thanks for the response....but since schools do look at apps as a whole do you think there will be some minor negative affect?

My guess is yeah, there might be some minor-negative affect, but as previously stated, the masters GPA doesn't calculate into the numbers. It probably doesn't look good, but I'm not sure if it warrants writing an addendum or not? That could be one way to mitigate any damage it could cause, but it is certainly better to get an opinion from someone with more knowledge and experience.

What was your LSAT?

Last edited by uhwrestler on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:16 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:

What was your LSAT?

my goal is to hit 165 for september lsat my previous was a little lower (also urm)

Sweet, we have similar GPAs and I am a URM also. (AA)

With a 165/3.8 you should be looking at T6 and a decent shot at H. Y and S are black boxes so to speak, so you might even consider blanketing the t14.

I wouldn't sweat the Master's GPA too much. I know school's take it into account, but how much I do not know.. I am confident it won't negatively impact you too badly.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:15 pm

I really don't think schools even look at your masters GPA. It really doesn't mean anything, because it's not like undergrad. If you got all A's in one type of master's program, while another student got all B's in a different field, it doesn't matter. You both ended up with a masters, with no special honors attached. One school likely just had a different median/standard that they applied to the grading.

For example, most graduate programs don't even let you stay in if you get less than a B, which makes anything below a B a failing grade for the program. I completed a degree which required straight A's, and B's were reserved for assigning a student "probationary" status. The grades really don't mean anything outside of your specific program, so as far as I know, law schools never touch them. I have not been asked for my official transcripts from my graduate program, nor did any schools ask me about them.

Getting the degree is what matters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�