. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
james_brown

New

Post by james_brown » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 am

Last edited by james_brown on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

yaliehopeful

New

Re: Re-take in Sep? 3.8 / 169 / HYP

Post by yaliehopeful » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 am

You have great softs and with your current score you have an okay chance at H, not as great of a chance at Y/S however. A 169 is an excellent score but I reckon you're capable of scoring in at least the low to mid 170s in which case you'd be a shoe in at Harvard and would have a greater shot at Y/S, retake. Given your rigorous work schedule re-taking won't be easy and it'll be a grind but assuming you score at least a few points higher, it can make a world of a difference at those schools and in the end will be well worth it.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:28 am

yaliehopeful wrote:You have great softs and with your current score you have an okay chance at H, not as great of a chance at Y/S however. A 169 is an excellent score but I reckon you're capable of scoring in the low to mid 170s in which case you'd be a shoe in at Harvard and have a greater shot at Y/S, retake. Given your rigorous work schedule re-taking won't be easy and it'll be a grind but assuming you score at least a few points higher, it can make a world of a difference at those schools and in the wend will be well worth it.
This. A couple extra points will do wonders for you and your shots at HYS. Upside is huge, especially since you were PTing higher than what you scored. Think you'll be in for a great cycle OP

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:24 am

Yeah especially if June was your first take there's no question here. I did the full time + studying too and it's a grind but very doable. Sign up now and crush that thing

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:32 am

Alive97 wrote:Yeah especially if June was your first take there's no question here. I did the full time + studying too and it's a grind but very doable. Sign up now and crush that thing

+1
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Alive97 wrote:Yeah especially if June was your first take there's no question here. I did the full time + studying too and it's a grind but very doable. Sign up now and crush that thing

+1
Absolutely retake. I disagree with one of the above posters about your current chance at Harvard. Im guessing you have less than a 50% chance at HLS even though your softs are definitely strong. If you were PTing above what you got that means you've still got points left on the table for sure. You got this! Go kill it!

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

To the extent that softs can be strong, yours seem fine but they won't make up for your 169. Reprepping and taking sucks, but if YHS is your goal, you need to.

yaliehopeful

New

Post by yaliehopeful » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

+1
Absolutely retake. I disagree with one of the above posters about your current chance at Harvard. Im guessing you have less than a 50% chance at HLS even though your softs are definitely strong. If you were PTing above what you got that means you've still got points left on the table for sure. You got this! Go kill it!
I take it you are referring to my post. I said his chances were "okay" but I didn't elaborate. You assumed that my interpretation of an "okay shot" at Harvard meant that he had at the very least a 50% being granted admission. While the ambiguity of my post is subject to interpretation, that's not what I was trying to insinuate. That said, I agree with you insofar as OP's chances of gaining admission to Harvard are less than 50% with his current score, despite strong softs and that a few extra points will exponentially improve his/her chances.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:24 pm

yaliehopeful wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

+1
I take it you are referring to my post. I said his chances were "okay" but I didn't elaborate. You assumed that my interpretation of an "okay shot" at Harvard meant that he had at the very least a 50% being granted admission. While the ambiguity of my post is subject to interpretation, that's not what I was trying to insinuate. That said, I agree with you insofar as OP's chances of gaining admission to Harvard are less than 50% with his current score, despite strong softs and that a few extra points will exponentially improve his/her chances.
Well that was long winded.

As others have said: retake for hls, OP. Chances are very, very slim right now.

Edit: oh and don't forget about big scholarships to other t14s. Between a retake and your softs, you should be a solid candidate for $100k+ schollys. One of those could be a better option for you than an YHS, depending on how you're financing law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:21 pm

yaliehopeful wrote:
My bad! Didn't mean to misinterpret what you wrote. I see we are in agreement then.

yaliehopeful

New

Post by yaliehopeful » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
yaliehopeful wrote:
My bad! Didn't mean to misinterpret what you wrote. I see we are in agreement then.
We are haha. Apologies for the misunderstanding and the ambiguity of my post!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:59 am

you probably have a pretty good shot at CLS given your softs. they'll be a little flexible with LSAT for similar undergrads and WE (a ton of people fit this profile/credentials at CLS and HLS and not all of them are 170+). Why isn't it on your list?

more generally, why do you want to go to law school? do you want to actually practice law? an M7 MBA program seems more logical given your background/interests

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”