Bias Against Conservative and/or Religious

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pomeranian

Bronze

Bias Against Conservative and/or Religious

Postby Pomeranian » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:39 pm

I was reading a recent NYT article by Nick Kristof who argued that conservatives and orthodox/practicing religious people (especially religious Christians) are underrepresented in certain areas of higher education, and how this undermines true diversity on campuses. In your view, is there bias against those who are deeply religious in the law school admission context, and would this be something to play down when applying?

Asking for a friend. I don't think she's politically conservative, but her major extracurricular activities are religiously oriented (student religious group); she also worked for a Christian/evangelical affiliated humanitarian NGO
Last edited by Pomeranian on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Bias Against Conservative and/or Religious

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm going to move this to general admissions. Christians are not URMs.

bern victim

Silver

Postby bern victim » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 pm

yes, especially Christian white men

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:58 pm

bern victim wrote:yes, especially Christian white men

And Jewish people, of course.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:12 am

Unless the "Christian-affiliated humanitarian NGO" is actually a missionary service, I don't see any reason to play it down.

The article you're referring to specifically addressed the hiring of evangelical Christians in academia, not acceptance rates for students who identify as Christian. She's got nothing to worry about; she's still a member of the overwhelming majority in this country.

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:49 pm

stop microaggressing me or I will kill myself when I'm 55, I swear to god

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:04 pm

kaysta wrote:

stop microaggressing me or I will kill myself when I'm 55, I swear to god

LOL :lol:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Postby anyriotgirl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:16 pm

this is what happens when the majority religion gives out points for being persecuted
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:37 pm

Pomeranian wrote:I was reading a recent NYT article by Nick Kristof who argued that conservatives and orthodox/practicing religious people (especially religious Christians) were underrepresented in certain areas of higher education, and how this undermines true diversity on campuses. In your view, is there bias against those who are deeply religious at law school admissions committees, and would this be something to play down when applying?

Asking for a friend (I don't think she's politically conservative, but her major extracurricular activities are religiously oriented; she also worked for a Christian-affiliated humanitarian NGO)

If only we lived in ancient rome! There'd be bias AND persecution, and we wouldn't have to read this type of garbage. If only...

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:04 pm

I make fun of conservative coworkers with other liberal coworkers behind their back. I think this is common/expected.

hdivschool

Bronze

Postby hdivschool » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:28 pm

It's very unlikely that an admissions committee would deny her application because of her religious activities. Almost no one will care. If she is socially conservative and religious, however, many law schools will be hostile environments whenever hot-button topics arise.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:00 pm

The real question is did she study for the LSAT or just pray about it a lot?

mollywood

New

Postby mollywood » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 pm

No, at most credible law schools there is not a bias against conservative religious individuals when it comes to admissions. My resume screams conservative and my entire personal statement focused on religion. Every single admissions officer I spoke with complimented my personal statement, it became a central focus of all of my interviews, and I was accepted almost everywhere I applied. However, it's important to note that I didn't write about religion just for fun; I happen to be going to law school because of an interest in the intersection of law and religion. I also invested a lot of time and effort in making sure that my personal statement was inclusive and not holier-than-thou in any way.

cavalier1138 wrote:Unless the "Christian-affiliated humanitarian NGO" is actually a missionary service, I don't see any reason to play it down.

She doesn't need to play it down even if was missionary service. My missionary service was a huge component of my application. Handled properly, it can actually be a decent soft factor. If your friend wants more details, PM me.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:55 pm

What is your friend's LSAT/GPA?

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:20 pm

mollywood wrote:No, at most credible law schools there is not a bias against conservative religious individuals when it comes to admissions. My resume screams conservative and my entire personal statement focused on religion. Every single admissions officer I spoke with complimented my personal statement, it became a central focus of all of my interviews, and I was accepted almost everywhere I applied. However, it's important to note that I didn't write about religion just for fun; I happen to be going to law school because of an interest in the intersection of law and religion. I also invested a lot of time and effort in making sure that my personal statement was inclusive and not holier-than-thou in any way.

cavalier1138 wrote:Unless the "Christian-affiliated humanitarian NGO" is actually a missionary service, I don't see any reason to play it down.

She doesn't need to play it down even if was missionary service. My missionary service was a huge component of my application. Handled properly, it can actually be a decent soft factor. If your friend wants more details, PM me.

You didn't need softs to get in anywhere based on profile.

mollywood

New

Postby mollywood » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:25 pm

mukol wrote:
mollywood wrote:No, at most credible law schools there is not a bias against conservative religious individuals when it comes to admissions. My resume screams conservative and my entire personal statement focused on religion. Every single admissions officer I spoke with complimented my personal statement, it became a central focus of all of my interviews, and I was accepted almost everywhere I applied. However, it's important to note that I didn't write about religion just for fun; I happen to be going to law school because of an interest in the intersection of law and religion. I also invested a lot of time and effort in making sure that my personal statement was inclusive and not holier-than-thou in any way.

You didn't need softs to get in anywhere based on profile.

Believe me, I know my numbers got me in, not my mission. But my mission was still what all adcomms asked about most in interviews, and it was received positively by all my interviewers. They specifically mentioned that it cleared up any maturity/work experience concerns they had based on my age and K-JD status and that it would bring an interesting perspective to the class. So worst case scenario no harm done, best case scenario it was a slightly positive factor.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Last edited by Pozzo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:53 pm

I was told by a dean that aside from numbers, one of their main duties is to filter out the assholes and jackasses. Conservatives and religious people are no more likely to be assholes or jackasses than anyone else, but if a you're able to turn a form application and 500 word writing samples into spreading your political agenda, you're likelier to be an asshole or jackass than the person discussing her cat.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:24 am

HonestAdvice wrote:I was told by a dean that aside from numbers, one of their main duties is to filter out the assholes and jackasses. Conservatives and religious people are no more likely to be assholes or jackasses than anyone else, but and if you're able to turn a form application and 500 word writing samples into spreading your political agenda, you're likelier to be an asshole or jackass than the person discussing her cat.

No but really, as long as you have numbers and don't write an offensive PS it doesn't really matter.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 am

Pomeranian wrote:I was reading a recent NYT article by Nick Kristof who argued that conservatives and orthodox/practicing religious people (especially religious Christians) are underrepresented in certain areas of higher education, and how this undermines true diversity on campuses. In your view, is there bias against those who are deeply religious in the law school admission context, and would this be something to play down when applying?

Asking for a friend. I don't think she's politically conservative, but her major extracurricular activities are religiously oriented (student religious group); she also worked for a Christian/evangelical affiliated humanitarian NGO

You're confusing cause and effect. It isn't that conservative religious people are discriminated against in higher education--it's that most conservative religious people don't want to do jobs that require higher education degrees. Any intelligent conservative religious person will get into good schools with the right LSAT/GPA

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 am

Pomeranian wrote:I was reading a recent NYT article by Nick Kristof who argued that conservatives and orthodox/practicing religious people (especially religious Christians) are underrepresented in certain areas of higher education, and how this undermines true diversity on campuses. In your view, is there bias against those who are deeply religious in the law school admission context, and would this be something to play down when applying?

Not sure if srs

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 pm

mukol wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:I was told by a dean that aside from numbers, one of their main duties is to filter out the assholes and jackasses. Conservatives and religious people are no more likely to be assholes or jackasses than anyone else, but and if you're able to turn a form application and 500 word writing samples into spreading your political agenda, you're likelier to be an asshole or jackass than the person discussing her cat.

No but really, as long as you have numbers and don't write an offensive PS it doesn't really matter.

The general rule seems to be that religious people are assholes for assuming their way is correct, but non-religious people are great for assuming their way is correct.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:35 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
mukol wrote:

The general rule seems to be that religious people are assholes for assuming their way is correct, but non-religious people are great for assuming their way is correct.

Maybe you think that

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
mukol wrote:

Bingo.

Famous

New

Postby Famous » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:23 am

If you are a nut with good numbers, you will get into good schools as long as you are not overly political in your personal statements. Case in point: Antonin Scalia (rest his soul).
If you are a nut with bad numbers, you will not get into good schools, regardless of the nature of your personal statements. Case in point: anyone with below range numbers for schools they apply to.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�