Am I Crazy? ED BU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
foll444

New

Am I Crazy? ED BU

Postby foll444 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello, I've been lurking on TLS for a few months, this is my first post~~

I've just taken the June 2016 LSAT and am contemplating where I should apply when the fall comes around. I'll be studying abroad in Scotland during applications, as such I'm trying to get everything planned out now.

KJD
GPA:3.65 with a double major, minor and undergraduate certificate across three disciplines, primary major is a STEM
LSAT:166
Softs/LOCs/PS comparable to the average on TLS
Diversity statement for socioeconomic condition (Should I even write one? It would be focused on struggling with poverty after my father passed away due to drug abuse.)

I am thinking about applying ED to BU (full tuition scholarship 3 yrs, GW style) for the possibility of full tuition and exploiting my personal network in the city (family is from MA, went to undergrad in MA). In addition, I'm thinking of applying RD to BC, Fordam, UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, GW and some of the lower t14. If I am not satisfied with the outcome this cycle I'd then take the next year to raise my GPA with the one semester that will be counted (study abroad won't count) and study for an LSAT retake. Then, maybe after a year or two of working, applying again.

I have been awarded an LSAC fee waiver so I think the money set down this year on applications wouldn't be too crazy and I will still be able to take the LSAT free one more time. I don't want to waste this last free shot at the LSAT so I don't think I'll retake until I am fully prepared. I've scored as high as 170 on PT's but I was averaging 166 when I took the test this June.

I am financially risk-averse so I'd like to minimize debt as a primary goal and maximize job prospects as a secondary goal. I'm shooting for private work in a major metropolitan area.

Is this plan silly? Should I not apply ED to BU? Do you think I have some shot at the ED even if I applied now? Any recommendations on alterations of this plan/presenting myself in a more favorable light this cycle?

Can't wait to read your responses! :mrgreen:

Best,
Dave
Last edited by foll444 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Redfactor

Bronze

Re: Am I Crazy? ED BU

Postby Redfactor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:41 pm

No that's not crazy at all.

WhatsGood

Silver

Postby WhatsGood » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm

I wouldn't apply ED to BU. With you're stats and background I think its very likely you'll be accepted there RD anyways and you def have a good shot at some much better schools. Also, applying ED often takes you out of consideration for merit aid so I don't think ED is a good idea, especially given your stated goals of minimizing debt. BU is also kind of a regional school, so if you're committed to just working in the Boston area it will work, but if you want to possibly have better/more options elsewhere you should hold off on the ED. I think your application sounds pretty strong, so I'd suggest retaking the LSAT and trying to hit in the 170s to really boost your options. At the very least a better LSAT will significantly improve your merit offers.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:02 pm

WhatsGood wrote:I wouldn't apply ED to BU. With you're stats and background I think its very likely you'll be accepted there RD anyways and you def have a good shot at some much better schools. Also, applying ED often takes you out of consideration for merit aid so I don't think ED is a good idea, especially given your stated goals of minimizing debt. BU is also kind of a regional school, so if you're committed to just working in the Boston area it will work, but if you want to possibly have better/more options elsewhere you should hold off on the ED. I think your application sounds pretty strong, so I'd suggest retaking the LSAT and trying to hit in the 170s to really boost your options. At the very least a better LSAT will significantly improve your merit offers.

"Applicants who are granted admission to the ED Program will be named Distinguished Scholars and will be granted a three-year, full tuition scholarship"
http://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/jd-adm ... n-program/

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:02 pm

WhatsGood wrote:I wouldn't apply ED to BU. With you're stats and background I think its very likely you'll be accepted there RD anyways and you def have a good shot at some much better schools. Also, applying ED often takes you out of consideration for merit aid so I don't think ED is a good idea, especially given your stated goals of minimizing debt. BU is also kind of a regional school, so if you're committed to just working in the Boston area it will work, but if you want to possibly have better/more options elsewhere you should hold off on the ED. I think your application sounds pretty strong, so I'd suggest retaking the LSAT and trying to hit in the 170s to really boost your options. At the very least a better LSAT will significantly improve your merit offers.

BU ED admits have full ride scholarships, if I'm not mistaken.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:13 pm

foll444 wrote:Hello, I've been lurking on TLS for a few months, this is my first post~~

I've just taken the June 2016 LSAT and am contemplating where I should apply when the fall comes around. I'll be studying abroad in Scotland during applications, as such I'm trying to get everything planned out now.

KJD
GPA:3.65 with a double major, minor and undergraduate certificate across three disciplines, primary major is a STEM
LSAT:166
Softs/LOCs/PS comparable to the average on TLS
Diversity statement for socioeconomic condition (Should I even write one? It would be focused on struggling with poverty after my father passed away due to drug abuse.)

I am thinking about applying ED to BU (full tuition scholarship 3 yrs, GW style) for the possibility of full tuition and exploiting my personal network in the city (family is from MA, went to undergrad in MA). In addition, I'm thinking of applying RD to BC, Fordam, UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, GW and some of the lower t14. If I am not satisfied with the outcome this cycle I'd then take the next year to raise my GPA with the one semester that will be counted (study abroad won't count) and study for an LSAT retake. Then, maybe after a year or two of working, applying again.

I have been awarded an LSAC fee waiver so I think the money set down this year on applications wouldn't be too crazy and I will still be able to take the LSAT free one more time. I don't want to waste this last free shot at the LSAT so I don't think I'll retake until I am fully prepared. I've scored as high as 170 on PT's but I was averaging 166 when I took the test this June.

I am financially risk-averse so I'd like to minimize debt as a primary goal and maximize job prospects as a secondary goal. I'm shooting for private work in a major metropolitan area.

Is this plan silly? Should I not apply ED to BU? Do you think I have some shot at the ED even if I applied now? Any recommendations on alterations of this plan/presenting myself in a more favorable light this cycle?

Can't wait to read your responses! :mrgreen:

Best,
Dave

I think the bolded is a great idea, regardless of outcome. With a STEM major and a dope LSAT, plus some years of work experience, you'll be in a great position in more ways than one.

WhatsGood

Silver

Postby WhatsGood » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Ooo my bad on the Bu full rides, that's a pretty good deal.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm

If you want to practice in New England then BU with a full tuition scholarship is a great option

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:38 pm

Post removed...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�