Disclosing criminal history...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mark Aldridge

New

Disclosing criminal history...

Postby Mark Aldridge » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:47 am

Hi everyone. I am planning on applying to law school this fall, and I have a couple of questions about having to tell the admissions office about everything that's happened in my past.

I was involved in vandalizing my school when I was a teenager. Among other things, we spray painted the building and broke a lot of windows. It was stupid and I should never have done it. The thing is, I was never actually charged with any crime. Some of the students were, but I wasn't (I can guess the reason why, which is a story of its own). They were actually charged with felonies at first, which were reduced to misdemeanors later.

I think there is a personal file on me at the school though that's likely recorded my involvement in this incident. Do you think I would have to disclose this?? Is this going to prevent me from getting into law school?? If I didn't disclose it, any way for a law school to find out??

sublime

Diamond

Re: Disclosing criminal history...

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:58 am

Were you arrested?

Mark Aldridge

New

Postby Mark Aldridge » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:05 pm

I was never arrested. Several of my classmates involved were though. We weren't caught at the time, only after the fact. They were arrested at school. I say in the principal's office for a day and explained (lied) that I had little to do with it and that I was only a witness. The principal suspected I was lying, but couldn't prove it. I also had a teacher vouch for my character.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:14 pm

It's going to depend what they ask but most apps just ask if you have been convicted or plead guilty (or some times no contest) or at most if you were arrested. If the answer is no, then that's the answer.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:02 pm

Just a slight addendum:

If you're using your real name for your account here, you may want to delete these posts. Ad comms are known to come through these forums, and I'm pretty sure they'd be able to figure out who you were from this. The whole "I lied about it to avoid getting arrested," thing might not be the best thing to confess when you're attaching your name to it.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Just a slight addendum:

If you're using your real name for your account here, you may want to delete these posts. Ad comms are known to come through these forums, and I'm pretty sure they'd be able to figure out who you were from this. The whole "I lied about it to avoid getting arrested," thing might not be the best thing to confess when you're attaching your name to it.

Yea, you can pm me to change your username, OP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�