Disclose expunged records?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Player30

Re: Disclose expunged records?

Postby Player30 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Are law school chicks really like this??

riseagra

Postby riseagra » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Can I ask an honest question here? If I did not investigate the issue properly due to what a judge told me in 2001 for a misdemeanor possession of marijuana and paraphernalia and answered no on my application, what steps should I take to correct the issue with the law school? It was in a different state and the diversion program was supposed to erase the event.

Any advice?

Thank you.

playhero

Postby playhero » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Here is a great idea call the fucking bar in your state and ask that question. Problem solved!

The Agitator

Postby The Agitator » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Can I ask an honest question here? If I did not investigate the issue properly due to what a judge told me in 2001 for a misdemeanor possession of marijuana and paraphernalia and answered no on my application, what steps should I take to correct the issue with the law school? It was in a different state and the diversion program was supposed to erase the event.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Just call the school. Tell them you made an honest mistake cause you thought you didn't have to disclose based on what the judge told you. It won't be a big deal.

The Agitator

Postby The Agitator » Mon May 05, 2008 11:11 am

there was also an incident over 15 years ago as a juvenile where the police rounded up a bunch of us for being idiots, called our parents and sent us home. i don't even remember what happened except that we went in front of a judge and he let us all go. i don't believe we were charged, and certainly there was no conviction. (but now as i think about it, if there was no charge, how did we end up in court?) i did not disclose this as i did not believe it met the standard of the question on the law app--but now i'm not sure. again, the bar app asks you to disclose being completely candid. as such, i would want to disclose this.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in like 7th grade. I called up the police station in my neighborhood - the one I was taken to - and they told me they had no record of it so I wasn't arrested. To be on the safe side, I disclosed on the two applications where they ask if you've ever been, "detained, arrested, charged, held...." etc. This will not be an issue with the bar on account of this. If you want to have piece of mind, just let your school know about it. They won't care and will most likely tell you to just be honest on the bar app. I've heard stories of people not disclosing major things initially, and then "amending" their application by disclosing it, and fully disclosing it to the bar, and it's not an issue.

redoak11

Postby redoak11 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:28 am

so you can simply update your disclosures? i would feel much better if i could add a couple sentences to the first one, and submit a tiny paragraph on the second one...

The Agitator

Postby The Agitator » Mon May 05, 2008 1:58 pm

so you can simply update your disclosures? i would feel much better if i could add a couple sentences to the first one, and submit a tiny paragraph on the second one...

I think so. I actually forgot about this thing that happened and I sent in an updated addendum with it in there to certain schools. That was before a decision was made though. I hear that you can amend your application though post-acceptance; best to talk to the schools about it.

redoak11

Postby redoak11 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:19 pm

thanks for the replies. i can't believe it. i just called the courthouse where the 15 year ago event happened and without asking any kind of verification info they told me there is nothing at all on file with them except a dropped traffic ticket. so i've done a statewide background check, and now checked with the local court. neither have any record or info. i mean, if there is no info, i can only go on my best recollection, which is that i was not charged, and hence why i did not put it on my law school app. i have (or will have) documentation of both searches. not sure what else i can or should do at this point. i think i was thorough in my search for info, and could later prove that if need be.

you know i was not at all paranoid about this until reading this damn message board. i only wish i would have read board before submitting my apps. i would have disclosed just to avoid this wondering. anyway, i guess i feel better.

sjk

Postby sjk » Mon May 05, 2008 5:51 pm

thanks to whoever bumped this thread. the "retard" being thrown around was classic.

and for the record, i answered the criminal question individually based on what each school asked...
i was charged, did a diversion, and had the charges dropped.

so when i was asked if i was convicted, i said no.
arrested or detained...yes.

just dont LIE people.

vgclovis

Postby vgclovis » Thu May 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Disclose Expunged Records?
Depends.

On What?
1) Did you really expunge it?
a) did you check the local police record?
b) did you check the state record?
c) did you check the FBI database (this requires fingerprints)?

2) Does your state expunge (delete) the record or just annotate the record?

If your state actually deletes the records (New Hampshire, Illinois, etc.) then answer NO - always.

If your state annotates the records, that is up to YOU.

3) Is the offense traffic related?
a) DUIs cannot be expunged, almost always.
b) Traffic offenses generate a record with the your state's Department of State.

Everyone has gotten, or will get, a speeding ticket(s) or traffic ticket, etc. If you are denied employment for a speeding ticket(s), you probably do not want to work there anyway.

Overall, you answer "NO" if your arrest has been expunged. Otherwise, you will open a whole can of worms for you and your employer.

When it says, "even if it has been expunged, you must disclose" is a trap. Why? Many people can say, "oh, I thought it was expunged." Will not work. It is YOUR responsibility to clean the 1) local arrest record, 2) state arrest record, and 3) FBI record (this is usually done after the state erases it).

condor

Postby condor » Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am

A very good friend of mine is having quite a bit of trouble with the bar this year for not disclosing an offense on his law school application. And it was a pretty damn trivial offense related to a minor traffic accident. In all likelihood he will pass the bar and be able to take the sweet clerking job offered him, but he will in the meantime endure a ton of mental stress, have his summer shadowed by a C&F hearing, and have to pay attorney's fees (because this is a big enough deal that one should hire someone to help out). he was also placed on deferred suspension by his law school when he finally disclosed to them. So quote C&F passage rates all you want--that is often not the entire story; it is far better to disclose to spare yourself the potential consequences, especially since law schools could really give a fuck what's on your record, unless it is really gruesome.

vgclovis

Postby vgclovis » Fri May 23, 2008 1:02 pm

NOT LEGAL ADVICE
Yes. Traffic offenses are not expunged.

If you expunge the traffic records, say, for a parking ticket, you will still generate a record with the state's Department of State.

Your traffic offenses, and everyone has something, are with you forever.

But the judge said, "it will be off your record after supervision."
Technically, he is not lying. The record with the Dept. of State, however, still exists, unlike criminal offenses, when expunged, in most states, are deleted (and often it is illegal to mention your own or some one else's expunged criminal record).

If asked about expunged records, you should never disclose an expunged record; there are states such as California that do not delete records, so be careful there.

If asked about traffic offenses, whether expunged or not, disclose them.
[Any time you are pulled over, the police can check how many times your license plates were ran as well; they might not be able to view an expunged traffic offense, but they will know how many times your plates were ran (pulled-over).]

applicant88

Postby applicant88 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:50 am

Here is what I am sending to schools who ask explicitly about expunged records:
In 2000, (8th Grade) I was arrested by my township police department. I was not and never have been convicted or found guilty of any crimes. In 2008, with the consent of the __MYCOUNTY__ County District Attorney, I had all records expunged.

...thoughts?

LittleKay

Postby LittleKay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 pm

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for 'law schools and expunged records'.

I have recently started looking into getting in to law school. It's what I wanted to do following my Undergraduate degree but ended up with a job instead. I read all these posts and have decided that yes, honesty is the best policy in this situation. However, I do have a couple of concerns I'd like opinions on.

I was arrested when I was 17 yrs old (over six years ago now). I cannot recall all of the details, but the Prosecutor rejected the charge (Possession of a CS) and I ended up expunging the arrest from my record, no problem. I work for the State and my County in a law enforcement-type position, so I am positive that it is no longer on my record.

So, I guess my questions are: 1) how concerned are law schools/state boards with what actually happened? Or are they just looking for your honesty? Is an arrest for a drug charge that I was never indicted on going to hinder my ability to practice law?

and

2) could my honesty on a law school application possibly ever get back to my current employer which would, more than likely, end up in my termination?

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

playhero

Postby playhero » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 am

playhero wrote:Here is a great idea call the fucking bar in your state and ask that question. Problem solved!

TITMFCR

playhero

Postby playhero » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:33 am

Hello my name is anonymous internet guy5241, and I know that I would like to take my legal advice from other anonymous people who claim to perspective law school students.

I don't even want my legal advice from anonymous people who claim to be law school students, nope! I want it from the anonymous people who claim to be perspective law school students. However, what ever happens, what I won't do is take legal advice from my state bar, I mean sure they could quickly advise me with the right answer but who wants to live there life like that. I mean why not totally gamble 3 years a 150k on something that can be resolved up front!

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 am

Whooaaa, bra, cool your jets!

ANON3333

Postby ANON3333 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 am

secondary question. Could traffic citations cause any consternation with the adcomm?

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:40 am

Oh yes, costernation o'plenty.

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:47 am

Hello my name is anonymous internet guy5241, and I know that I would like to take my legal advice from other anonymous people who claim to perspective law school students.

I don't even want my legal advice from anonymous people who claim to be law school students, nope! I want it from the anonymous people who claim to be perspective law school students. However, what ever happens, what I won't do is take legal advice from my state bar, I mean sure they could quickly advise me with the right answer but who wants to live there life like that. I mean why not totally gamble 3 years a 150k on something that can be resolved up front!

First of all, @#$% whoever bumped this thread.

Second, funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. Epic.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”