What types of schools should I be looking at?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawTweet

Bronze

What types of schools should I be looking at?

Postby LawTweet » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:59 pm

I want to go into plaintiff-side litigation. I'm not too picky about the exact specialty but discrimination, labor law, special education law all sound interesting to me. Apparently this is not the type of the law that most people want to go into and thus requires a different perspective on law school search and selection. I've gotten some advice that it's T-14 or bust. Others have said it's extremely important that I stay in the region in which I want to practice and go wherever I get the most $$$$.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but am PTing at 170+. Worried that on test day it could drop to the mid 160s because I get a lot of test anxiety.

GPA is 3.73 from a T3 school.

I have what I believe to be exceptional softs. I'm not sure at what point schools will look at them but I won a national fellowship and have been featured in national media numerous times for my legal activism. Will this give me a boost? If so, how much?

Anyway, suggestions about how to approach the search process would be much appreciated.

swampman

Bronze

Re: What types of schools should I be looking at?

Postby swampman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:03 pm

1. Take the LSAT. 2. Apply to the entire T14 and regionals where you want to practice. 3. Come back here when you have real options to pick between.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:30 pm

LawTweet wrote:I want to go into plaintiff-side litigation. I'm not too picky about the exact specialty but discrimination, labor law, special education law all sound interesting to me. Apparently this is not the type of the law that most people want to go into and thus requires a different perspective on law school search and selection. I've gotten some advice that it's T-14 or bust. Others have said it's extremely important that I stay in the region in which I want to practice and go wherever I get the most $$$$.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but am PTing at 170+. Worried that on test day it could drop to the mid 160s because I get a lot of test anxiety.

GPA is 3.73 from a T3 school.

I have what I believe to be exceptional softs. I'm not sure at what point schools will look at them but I won a national fellowship and have been featured in national media numerous times for my legal activism. Will this give me a boost? If so, how much?

Anyway, suggestions about how to approach the search process would be much appreciated.

swampman wrote:1. Take the LSAT. 2. Apply to the entire T14 and regionals where you want to practice. 3. Come back here when you have real options to pick between.

I agree with swamperman. If your PT'ing in the 170s keep studying until you take and you should be able to nail a 170+ on your test day. If you take enough PTs test-day nerves will be mitigated a bit, because it will feel like another test. I think with a 3.7x and a 175 you would be looking at some full-ride scholarships and good money almost anywhere. Blanket the T-14 and I'd be surprised if you didn't get a full ride, or at the very least close to it. HYS only give need-based aid, but you have a shot at HS, possibly Y depending on softs and work experience. If you're already at HYP, I think that functions as a small-soft factor as well. Just focus on getting consistent with your LSAT scores. You are in a really great spot to kill your cycle!

Congrats and good luck :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Bronze

Postby LawTweet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Touche. I'll wait til I have y options on the table.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Postby Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 pm

When applying to law school, students typically evaluate cost, location, and prospective job opportunities that will be available. It is advised to attend a school in the area or state you wish to practice in. During your time in law school, you may look into job opportunities or summer internships that will help you decide exactly what specific area you want to practice and the firm may even offer you a job upon passing the bar.

Any extra curricular involvement you have in the legal community may help to include in your application.

Best of luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�