Will credits that my undergraduate institution doesn't accept (community college) be counted towards my LSAC GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aviopls

New

Will credits that my undergraduate institution doesn't accept (community college) be counted towards my LSAC GPA?

Post by aviopls » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:53 am

I've realized that there's no possible way for me to get a GPA that I'm comfortable with through classes at my school alone. There's just not enough opportunity considering the credit per semester limitations. (I had a god-awful start but have been on a straight A rampage ever since)

After some thinking, I think I may be onto something. I could take courses online/over the summer at my local community college that I know I'll get As in. However, I know my school well enough to know that they're very stingy with what credits they accept. They definitely won't be factored into my UGPA. Since these will just be more of elective/fluff classes anyway, will they still be counted towards my LSAC GPA? My gut tells me yes, since it's my understanding that they count everything you've ever taken. But how does this sound? Is this crazy?

cavalier1138

Re: Will credits that my undergraduate institution doesn't accept (community college) be counted towards my LSAC GPA?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04 am

As long as you take the classes before receiving your degree, they will be factored in on your LSAC GPA.

That said, I looked at you post history, and your GPA is fine. No matter what you do, you're going to want to submit an addendum about the one "F" grade, but your cumulative GPA plus your LSAT is going to be plenty competitive.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Will credits that my undergraduate institution doesn't accept (community college) be counted towards my LSAC GPA?

Post by Mikey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:00 am

Yes both your community college credits and bachelors degree granting college credits will count towards your LSAC GPA.

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:16 am

As the previous posters noted, all courses taken prior to graduating count toward your GPA. However, just taking online or CC fluff courses to inflate your GPA may raise more questions/red flags than a slightly lower GPA when admissions officers look at your transcript. And they will look at your transcript because your application will list the other schools so they'll look to see what's up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”