I want GULC specifically. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontrogerthat

New

I want GULC specifically.

Post by dontrogerthat » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:46 pm

I was just curious what the opinion would be of about the LSAT I would need to have a decent shot at GULC.

Strong ties to DC (I know this probably doesn't matter much, maybe help with yield?)
3.65 GPA
Mexican American
1 year out of UG
1st member to go to college in family
LGBT
Top 50 undergrad that is top 5 in my major (Not a science)
Small leadership roles in UG

I want GULC because of the close proximity to family and where I'd like to end up.

Any idea what LSAT I should shoot for at minimum? I don't want to apply until I achieve a good enough score to have a shot.

Thanks!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: I want GULC specifically.

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:50 pm

168/169 puts you at or around their LSAT median. With that good GPA, you'll get into GULC no problem.

Whatever your score, though, retake until you get into at least the low 170's so you can get some money out of them. I was in the exact same position as you and I didn't negotiate. Don't do what I did. Also apply to other schools in at least the lower T14 (or blanket the T14 if you get a good LSAT score). You can play other offers against each other and end up at GULC on a full ride.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:56 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:I was just curious what the opinion would be of about the LSAT I would need to have a decent shot at GULC.

Strong ties to DC (I know this probably doesn't matter much, maybe help with yield?)
3.65 GPA
Mexican American
1 year out of UG
1st member to go to college in family
LGBT
Top 50 undergrad that is top 5 in my major (Not a science)
Small leadership roles in UG

I want GULC because of the close proximity to family and where I'd like to end up.

Any idea what LSAT I should shoot for at minimum? I don't want to apply until I achieve a good enough score to have a shot.

Thanks!
TCR is shoot for a 180. Why would you try for anything less? I never got this mentality. I get you are just trying to scope out the minimum, but this is a horrible mindset to have.

With a 3.65 you should not take the test until you are confident you can score in the low 170s. Your GPA is below their 50%tile so I would try to get into the high 160s for a good chance. You will probably want to do really well so you have a chance to get some scholarship money. This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Start thinking of every point on the LSAT as potential money in your pocket--albeit, in the future. I was annoyed at spending $500 bucks on LSAT prep, but it will be worth its weight in gold, if I can get $$$ from a T3 where I am aiming to attend.

Also, definitely write a "Why Georgetown" essay.

Good luck :)

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see you put MA. So you will get a little URM boost. That still doesn't really change what I said, but I think you could gain admissions with a high 160s score, good applications (LOR, PS, DS.)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nihility

New

Post by nihility » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:58 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
TCR is shoot for a 180. Why would you try for anything less? I never got this mentality. I get you are just trying to scope out the minimum, but this is a horrible mindset to have.

With a 3.65 you should not take the test until you are confident you can score in the low 170s. Your GPA is below their 50%tile so I would try to get into the high 160s for a good chance. You will probably want to do really well so you have a chance to get some scholarship money. This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Start thinking of every point on the LSAT as potential money in your pocket--albeit, in the future. I was annoyed at spending $500 bucks on LSAT prep, but it will be worth its weight in gold, if I can get $$$ from a T3 where I am aiming to attend.

Also, definitely write a "Why Georgetown" essay.

Good luck :)

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see you put MA. So you will get a little URM boost. That still doesn't really change what I said, but I think you could gain admissions with a high 160s score, good applications (LOR, PS, DS.)
A T3? As in top 3? As in HYS? Who don't offer merit money?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:25 am

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”