Arrested After Acceptance Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawstudent090

New

Arrested After Acceptance

Post by lawstudent090 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:43 am

Recently I was arrested and charged with a drug offense resulting in a 3rd degree felony and a misdemeanor charge. I know that I have to report this to the school that I plan on attending, but I wasn't sure if I should notify them immediately or once I know the outcome of the case.

The C&F portion of my law school application says to include at least the date, description, and disposition of the offense and to update them as soon as possible if any information regarding my original application changes. However, since I do not know the disposition of the case, I was wondering if I should notify my school immediately or later once I know the outcome of the case.

I know I fucked up, and any help would be appreciated.

mcmand

Silver

Re: Arrested After Acceptance

Post by mcmand » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:50 am

lawstudent090 wrote:Recently I was arrested and charged with a drug offense resulting in a 3rd degree felony and a misdemeanor charge. I know that I have to report this to the school that I plan on attending, but I wasn't sure if I should notify them immediately or once I know the outcome of the case.

The C&F portion of my law school application says to include at least the date, description, and disposition of the offense and to update them as soon as possible if any information regarding my original application changes. However, since I do not know the disposition of the case, I was wondering if I should notify my school immediately or later once I know the outcome of the case.

I know I fucked up, and any help would be appreciated.
You do need to disclose by written addendum ASAP.

Shit man, what did you do? What were you charged with?

I'm assuming you were released on bond, if so, how much? Did you post cash or use a bondsman?

Hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP as well. Your attorney will be able to get this resolved favorably for you. However, you will be disclosing this to the law school and the bar, and likely even employer's.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psu2016

Bronze

Post by psu2016 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 am

Was this offense in the same city/general vicinity where you're going to school? If so I would strongly recommend taking a few years to distance yourself from this event since your classmates would almost certainly learn of your situation and use it against you. Plus, you really don't want to run into the prosecutor on your case at a networking event. If it's not in the same city/vicinity, how are you going to travel back and forth during 1L year to hit your court dates? You are almost certainly going to be on probation - will that transfer? These are serious things you need to consider. I would recommend sitting out for a few years and then coming back with a great redemption PS.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:20 am

psu2016 wrote:Was this offense in the same city/general vicinity where you're going to school? If so I would strongly recommend taking a few years to distance yourself from this event since your classmates would almost certainly learn of your situation and use it against you. Plus, you really don't want to run into the prosecutor on your case at a networking event. If it's not in the same city/vicinity, how are you going to travel back and forth during 1L year to hit your court dates? You are almost certainly going to be on probation - will that transfer? These are serious things you need to consider. I would recommend sitting out for a few years and then coming back with a great redemption PS.
This is a good idea, and the length of your wait should be proportional to the severity of your final disposition (though redemption in a personal statement may be unnecessary/unhelpful). Getting tagged with a felony, even just being charged, sucks and can have repercussions for years. Putting as much space as possible between you and the case's resolution can make a difference, and it's also a good time to consider whatever got you into this position in the first place.

If you don't love your PD, hire a private, and if you really want to be a lawyer don't cop to the felony. Yeah, it won't disqualify you from the bar, but it will suck nonetheless, especially if it's not something you can be proud of doing.

Strongly consider at least deferring.

Source: went through similar situation a few years ago. feel free to PM me, but my advice won't be different from what I said here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:35 am

Would be nice if the drug charges are only for possession and your state has some sort of diversion program for drug offenders.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:40 am

Clyde Frog wrote:Would be nice if the drug charges are only for possession and your state has some sort of diversion program for drug offenders.

This definitely helps

lawstudent090

New

Post by lawstudent090 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:16 pm

This is for just possession, and i already have a private attorney on the case. This is not in the vicinity im trying to practice/attend school. Since this is my first offense, my lawyer says it will most likely result in a dismissal based on the circumstances of the arrest.

Based on my my attorney's and other professionals' opinions, my scholarship could be in jeopardy but not my acceptance. I am just not sure what to include in my letter to the school as this happened so recently and a prosecutor hasnt even been assigned to my case.

lawstudent090

New

Post by lawstudent090 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:Would be nice if the drug charges are only for possession and your state has some sort of diversion program for drug offenders.

This definitely helps
The state and county which i was arrested in does offer these types of programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:20 pm

i would just ask the dean what you need to do first day of law school. probably wont be a deal at all. had a slightly less but very similar situation and wasnt a problem.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:34 pm

this is why you don't mess with drugs kids

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:43 pm

See if you can get someone at your new school on the phone and then ask them what you should send them in writing.

Waiting until the first day of school looks really bad IMO. If it's something that you could write off as you not knowing whether to report it, that's one thing, but an arrest for a felony is...not that.

I've never dealt with this situation myself though so YMMV

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawstudent090

New

Post by lawstudent090 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it. Everything's been hectic for me really, and I just want to get through this. I will update the thread once I have more information to share.

lawstudent090

New

Post by lawstudent090 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Hey guys,

I notified the dean of my law school through email 2 weeks back explaining the situation. I also included a cover letter from my lawyer stating that the charges will most likely get dismissed and any questions should be directed towards him. However, I have not heard back yet from the dean or anybody at the school. I am feeling uneasy since I haven't heard back at all, but my lawyer says that I notified my school and therefore, have done my part. He doesn't want me to do anything further at this point in updating/contacting my school about this issue.

I am guessing my next move is to wait until the situation is resolved and then updating my school again, but I am just worried because I am not sure how long that would take.

Do you guys think it's normal that I haven't gotten a response in over 2 weeks? Could I run into any trouble if the dean hadn't seen my email, and I update the school again at a later point?
Last edited by lawstudent090 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:27 pm

lawstudent090 wrote:Hey guys,

I notified the dean of my law school through email 2 weeks back explaining the situation. I also included a cover letter from my lawyer stating that the charges will most likely get dismissed and any questions should be directed towards him. However, I have not heard back yet from the dean or anybody at the school. I am feeling uneasy since I haven't heard back at all, but my lawyer says that I notified my school and therefore, have done my part. He really doesn't want me speaking with anybody until the situation is resolved.

I am guessing my next move is to wait until the situation is resolved and then updating my school again, but I am just worried because I am not sure how long that would take.

Do you guys think it's normal that I haven't gotten a response in over 2 weeks? Could I run into any trouble if the dean hadn't seen my email, and I update the school again at a later point?

Listen to your lawyer. I know it's tough, but try to stop worrying until there is a result. The school is likely not going to do anything or speak to you about it until it is settled(especially since your attorney said to direct any questions to him). If it gets dropped the school will probably not do anything. Hang tight and listen to your attorney.

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:33 pm

I notified the dean of my law school through email 2 weeks back explaining the situation. I also included a cover letter from my lawyer stating that the charges will most likely get dismissed and any questions should be directed towards him. However, I have not heard back yet from the dean or anybody at the school. I am feeling uneasy since I haven't heard back at all, but my lawyer says that I notified my school and therefore, have done my part. He doesn't want me to do anything further at this point in updating/contacting my school about this issue.

Did you send to the head dean of the law school? I believe the Dean (or Associate Dean) of Students is typically the one who deals with C&F stuff. I'd make sure s/he has been notified.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawstudent090

New

Post by lawstudent090 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm

bwh8813 wrote:

Did you send to the head dean of the law school? I believe the Dean (or Associate Dean) of Students is typically the one who deals with C&F stuff. I'd make sure s/he has been notified.
I sent it to the head dean since that was who my letter and my lawyer's cover letter was addressed to.

Itsnotalwayssunny

New

Post by Itsnotalwayssunny » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I am in exactly the same boat. My buddy and I were profiled because of his Colorado license plate. The officer locked my buddy in his cop car and interrogated him, using threats and promises, until he confessed--the confession, and subsequently the case should be dismissed because of this. We are now both facing felony drug-possession charges: THC is a felony in the state where I was arrested. Anyways, I immediately alerted the T-14 school--I had already paid my deposits--about the situation, and they rescinded my offer of admission.
Last edited by Itsnotalwayssunny on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psu2016

Bronze

Post by psu2016 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Itsnotalwayssunny wrote:Anyways, I immediately alerted the T-14 school--I had already paid my deposits--about the situation, and they rescinded my offer of admission.
Damn. That sucks :/ Sorry.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:07 pm

Itsnotalwayssunny wrote:I am in exactly the same boat. My buddy and I were profiled because of his Colorado license plate. The officer locked my buddy in his cop car and interrogated him, using threats and promises, until he confessed--the confession, and subsequently the case should be dismissed because of this. We are now both facing felony drug-possession charges: THC is a felony in the state where I was arrested. Anyways, I immediately alerted the T-14 school--I had already paid my deposits--about the situation, and they rescinded my offer of admission.
Holy shit marihuana? how could you?? How dare you turn your back on society like that? Do you know how dangerous it is? How many people die because of it? Why couldn't you just take some over the counter drug thats 10x more potent? That officer should be given a medal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:10 pm

mvp99 wrote:
Itsnotalwayssunny wrote:I am in exactly the same boat. My buddy and I were profiled because of his Colorado license plate. The officer locked my buddy in his cop car and interrogated him, using threats and promises, until he confessed--the confession, and subsequently the case should be dismissed because of this. We are now both facing felony drug-possession charges: THC is a felony in the state where I was arrested. Anyways, I immediately alerted the T-14 school--I had already paid my deposits--about the situation, and they rescinded my offer of admission.
Holy shit marihuana? how could you?? How dare you turn your back on society like that? Do you know how dangerous it is? How many people die because of it? Why couldn't you just take some over the counter drug thats 10x more potent? That officer should be given a medal.
Yeah, that is just .... I'm sorry to hear it OP. Stay strong and positive--at least as much as you can.

What are you thinking of doing from here? Again, I don't think this is going to be a huge deal in court. Maybe sit out a cycle and reapply once everything is settled?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itsnotalwayssunny

New

Post by Itsnotalwayssunny » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
Yeah, that is just .... I'm sorry to hear it OP. Stay strong and positive--at least as much as you can.

What are you thinking of doing from here? Again, I don't think this is going to be a huge deal in court. Maybe sit out a cycle and reapply once everything is settled?
I'm not the OP, just in a very similar situation. Right now, I am focused on getting the case dropped. If the case gets dropped, I'll probably re-apply next cycle; if the case does not get dropped, I guess I'll just have to live on the fringes of society, as the dangerous felon that I am. In all honesty, I am just really frustrated right now. I use to drive a piece-of-crap Honda for years. I would get pulled over all the time, and law enforcement would always make up an excuse to go through my car--this is just the first time I actually had something in my car. It is hard to explain, but there is a strong discomfort that comes from watching law enforcement go through all your personal belongings--violating your privacy.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:41 am

This is probably the saddest story I've heard on TLS. I hope you've got another T14 acceptance to fallback on.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:28 am

i don't buy that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”