Freaking out about my GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aviopls

New

Freaking out about my GPA

Post by aviopls » Tue May 24, 2016 11:48 pm

I'm coming from a school ranked in the top 15 of the North (according to US News) but has a high acceptance rate, so I know I'm already sort of at a disadvantage here not coming from a top national university.

When I was a freshman, my parents insisted I major in physics. I hated physics and I hated math but I did it anyway because I didn't have any other idea of what to major in. I was a terrible student because I had no desire to succeed because I hated my schedule, my classes, and my environment. I wound up failing calculus and getting an overall GPA of about a 2. I didn't even do well in my gen eds because I just didn't try at all. I did a complete 180 the following semester because I finally decided to major in something that matches my passion, environmental science. I didn't care what career path I'd wind up pursuing because all I cared about was doing something with the environment. Second semester I pulled off a 3.7 GPA, even though I was only in 1 environment class and the rest were gen eds. When I realized how perfect a career as an environmental lawyer would be for me and how badly I wanted to go to a top 10 law school, I really threw it into overdrive.

Now I'm a (rising) senior with a 3.74 cumulative GPA. I've tried talking to my dean to see if I could at least get the F class on my transcript stricken (so that the LSAC wouldn't calculate it into my GPA) but was politely rejected. I'm stuck with this GPA. However, I scored a 173 on the LSAT in February. I can't stop kicking myself for how I messed up my fall semester of freshman year, because I feel like I ruined my chances so early on.

I'm still going to apply to all the top schools I've had my heart set on (including Harvard), but my anxiety over this is unreal. Over the years I've never really spent too much time looking into all of What Law Schools Look For, I've just prioritized doing well. I know a 3.74 isn't a "bad" GPA and coupled with my LSAT score I'm at least a competitive candidate; but since law schools admissions are so driven by numbers, what are the chances that they look at how that very first semester greatly misrepresents my grades in college (without the F alone, I'd have close to a 3.9) and don't snub me for having a GPA so below the 50th percentile? All of my dream schools (Harvard, Chicago, Penn, and with the exception of Columbia) have such high median GPAs that I don't come close to.

Eternalsunshine

New

Re: Freaking out about my GPA

Post by Eternalsunshine » Wed May 25, 2016 7:00 am

Don't freak out. You're right, your GPA isn't "bad," especially when coupled with your LSAT, and I believe (though I'll defer to the TLS regulars here, as I'm largely just a lurker) you can always write an addendum explaining your first semester. I don't think "my parents made me do it" is necessarily the way to go, but you can explain that you were in a major that was wrong for you, accept responsibility for your poor performance, explain how you learned from your mistakes, etc.

bowsandbells

New

Post by bowsandbells » Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 am

Don't freak out! You still have a great GPA! You'll just have to write an addendum about that grade. That's all. They may not penalize you at all if you convince them that that grade was a huge mistake.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Wed May 25, 2016 2:55 pm

1. You can write an addendum if you want but it won't matter bc you don't have a good excuse. Your parents made you do it will not play well in front of adcomms

2. Schools only care about your lsac gpa. I know multiple classmates at H who have the same numbers as you. Do not freak out. Cover the t14 with apps. You'll get good scholarships and def have a shot at H (with ys being the only schools even remotely more likely to actively care about that f)

3. I had a shittier ugpa with a few bad grades thrown in and still landed H. Didn't go to a good ug either. Seriously, take it easy. You're in a good position with your GPA and lsat combo.

ETA actually you should take time off and work. It'll help at OCI and might even help with admissions depending on the job. It'll also give you a lot more perspective and you might choose not to go to law school in the end. I never understand why kjds go straight through. The majority of my classmates worked for at least a year or two and that's becoming more and more prevalent.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed May 25, 2016 6:07 pm

bowsandbells wrote:Don't freak out! You still have a great GPA! You'll just have to write an addendum about that grade. That's all. They may not penalize you at all if you convince them that that grade was a huge mistake.
Nah. The 3.7x will stand.
Most GPA addenda are bullshit. I wouldn't even write one here. Having a bad freshman year is very common.

I expect you'll do just fine with your stats OP. Harvard is more of a reach because of GPA and your k-JD status, but you're very competitive for non-HYS still. What's done is done and no use having nightmares over it.

aviopls

New

Post by aviopls » Wed May 25, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks everyone! I tend to overthink and let my thoughts get the best of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”