Academically dismissed LS student reapplying...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nicholasnickynic

Re: Academically dismissed LS student reapplying...

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 am

dmfjlaw wrote:I know a lot of lawyers who went to a variety of those schools and doing just fine...

no you don't.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 am

Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:How sad that someone who failed out of law school ended up teaching our nation's kids. Its really things like this that make me frightened both for our future as a country and, now that you are a re-applicant, as a profession.

OP was 20 years old at the time. Believe it or not, lots of very successful, intelligent, creative people screwed up some in their late teens and early twenties. Chill out.

If you'd seen the kinds of things that I've seen buddy, you would be pretty freaked out yourself.

You've seen lots of teachers who were academically dismissed from law school when they were 20 years old?

And I'm not your buddy, friend.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:20 am

Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:How sad that someone who failed out of law school ended up teaching our nation's kids. Its really things like this that make me frightened both for our future as a country and, now that you are a re-applicant, as a profession.

OP was 20 years old at the time. Believe it or not, lots of very successful, intelligent, creative people screwed up some in their late teens and early twenties. Chill out.

If you'd seen the kinds of things that I've seen buddy, you would be pretty freaked out yourself.

Care to elaborate?

OP: What score did you receive on your re-take? Which schools' PT programs are you applying to this time around? What compelled you to return to law school? What would you like to do with a J.D.?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:21 am

mettasutta wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Please, don't encourage the boy.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

You've seen lots of teachers who were academically dismissed from law school when they were 20 years old?

You are being sarcastic but you are WAY closer than you think FRIEND.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:30 am

Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:OP was 20 years old at the time. Believe it or not, lots of very successful, intelligent, creative people screwed up some in their late teens and early twenties. Chill out.

You are being sarcastic but you are WAY closer than you think FRIEND.

I was not being sarcastic, I was being genuinely curious and a bit perplexed. If you know a bunch of teachers who used to be 20-year-old law students and got kicked out, I will be befuddled and wonder if you belong to some kind of secret former 20-year-old-law-student club.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:37 am

[/quote]I was not being sarcastic, I was being genuinely curious and a bit perplexed. If you know a bunch of teachers who used to be 20-year-old law students and got kicked out, I will be befuddled and wonder if you belong to some kind of secret former 20-year-old-law-student club.[/quote]

You are at Cornell so you obviously must have done at least OK on the LSAT. Try to cook up some close analogies.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:38 am

Your GPA's pretty good (really) for the schools you are planning on attending/applying. If you can consider re-writing your lsat (even if you just bring up 4-7 points), I think it'll do wonders. You might even get pretty decent scholarships among the FT schools you're interested in. Just my 2 cents

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 am

Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:I was not being sarcastic, I was being genuinely curious and a bit perplexed. If you know a bunch of teachers who used to be 20-year-old law students and got kicked out, I will be befuddled and wonder if you belong to some kind of secret former 20-year-old-law-student club.

You are at Cornell so you obviously must have done at least OK on the LSAT. Try to cook up some close analogies.

I can think of plenty of analogies, but none of them suggest to me that our country is in a sad state of affairs because someone you've never met for whom law school didn't work out when they were 20 years old became a teacher. Beyond that, none of them suggest to me that you have anything more than anecdotal evidence which has lead you to jump to conclusions. If you have actual data to support you, by all means, say so, and I'll gladly accept your statement and move on with my life.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:16 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:I was not being sarcastic, I was being genuinely curious and a bit perplexed. If you know a bunch of teachers who used to be 20-year-old law students and got kicked out, I will be befuddled and wonder if you belong to some kind of secret former 20-year-old-law-student club.

I can think of plenty of analogies, but none of them suggest to me that our country is in a sad state of affairs because someone you've never met for whom law school didn't work out when they were 20 years old became a teacher. Beyond that, none of them suggest to me that you have anything more than anecdotal evidence which has lead you to jump to conclusions. If you have actual data to support you, by all means, say so, and I'll gladly accept your statement and move on with my life.

Newsweek ran an article a while back claiming that the average American teacher graduated in the bottom 1/3 of his college class. The U.S. lags most of the developed world in most educational indices. The real wage earned by a high school graduate has plummeted over the past 30 years. Besides all of this, I have absolutely no non-anecdotal evidence to support my assertion that the failure of the American education system to attract qualified teachers is a matter of national concern. You may proceed with your life.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 am

Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Newsweek ran an article a while back claiming that the average American teacher graduated in the bottom 1/3 of his college class. The U.S. lags most of the developed world in most educational indices. The real wage earned by a high school graduate has plummeted over the past 30 years. Besides all of this, I have absolutely no non-anecdotal evidence to support my assertion that the failure of the American education system to attract qualified teachers is a matter of national concern. You may proceed with your life.

You see? This is what happens when law schools accept splitters.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 am

fatduck wrote:You see? This is what happens when law schools accept splitters.

Hahaha, COUNT IT!

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 am

Veyron wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Veyron wrote:

If your assertion had been that the American education system generally fails to attract qualified teachers and that is of national concern, I would have agreed with you immediately. However, your assertion seemed to be that one particular person must be a shitty teacher because s/he failed out of law school. I agree that it's more likely than not that s/he's a shitty teacher because most teachers these days are shitty. I don't agree that failing to pass the first year of law school at age 20 makes it significantly more likely that s/he's a shitty teacher.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:32 am

It's not that America's teachers suck (they do) but it's that the curriculum is dumb. They should be teaching 8th grade math in 3rd grade and allow teachers to beat students.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 am

ITT: We revive a two year old thread so that Veyron can be a dick, and poorly defend doing so.

Well played, sir. None of the information you provided suggests in the least that any issues can be placed at the feet of teachers (although certainly some can), or that those who do poorly in law school are likely to do poorly as teachers.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:47 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:ITT: We revive a two year old thread so that Veyron can be a dick, and poorly defend doing so.

Well played, sir. None of the information you provided suggests in the least that any issues can be placed at the feet of teachers (although certainly some can), or that those who do poorly in law school are likely to do poorly as teachers.

QF this thread needing an abortion.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 am

Renzo wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:ITT: We revive a two year old thread so that Veyron can be a dick, and poorly defend doing so.

QF this thread needing an abortion.

Happily provided, Renzo.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”