Academically dismissed LS student reapplying...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dmfjlaw

Academically dismissed LS student reapplying...

Postby dmfjlaw » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Honestly... is there any chance of ever getting back in after being academically dismissed five years ago when I was 20??

chalyse

Re: Academically dismissed LS student reapplying...

Postby chalyse » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:28 pm

if by academically dismissed you mean that low grades were behind the dismissal - i think the answer is 'of course' with a lot of conditions attached. if the dismissal included any reasons other than grades - it really depends on what they were.

though a little more data would help ... generally if you are out of a school for 5 years, show a strong use of your times since then, and even better, have taken/take additional coursework (legal related a bonus) with very good results and can credibly analyse (on a new personal statement) what happened the first time, how you've changed, what you are doing differently ... then you should really consider re-applying.

if your original school doesn't bite, and you are committed enough in your desire to return to law study ... there are likely some ranked lower than your original school that might look more favorably on a second-time-around application. other than that, you get the same $75 application fee gamble as the rest of us :D

dmfjlaw

Postby dmfjlaw » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:43 pm

Chalyse... Wow, thank you. I was thinking I was going to be completely bashed.

I sent out 11 applications... and have been thinking about applying to a 12th (either Vermont Law or Syracuse) in which I would have to apply in the next DAY or so.

My statistics: February 2nd LSAT: 150; Undergrad GPA: 3.52 (English/Writing Major, Social Work Minor); went to law school at the age of 20... 1.85 GPA (Got dismissed ONLY for grades)... had to leave law school... Got my Masters in Secondary Education (with a concentration in Writing), GPA: 4.0... have been teaching AP English for three years.

Applied to the following:

Full-Time...
Florida Coastal Univ
St. Thomas Univ
Florida International
Florida A&M
Univ of Tulsa
California Western
New England School of Law
CUNY Law

Part-Time...
Rutgers-Newark
New York Law School
Seton Hall Univ

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:44 pm

I have to say that I would not recommend attending any of those law schools - stick with teaching. You're not going to make any more coming out of those schools and you will be in much more debt.

dmfjlaw

Postby dmfjlaw » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:46 pm

I know a lot of lawyers who went to a variety of those schools and doing just fine...

snowboarder2713

Postby snowboarder2713 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:52 pm

New England School of Law

I've only heard good things about this school. My friend's dad went here for his first year of law, did well, transferred to NYU, and says that the teaching and quality of education was better at New England. He's now a very, very successful lawyer in the Northeast now.

For what it's ranked , you'll still going to have to work hard, but it's fairly legit.

chalyse

Postby chalyse » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:53 pm

i think your florida choices were done wisely, too :D i considered them after my first lsat and some of them have strong bar-placement rates. florida is a very decent place to live for law school too.

the masters at 4.0 done after your dismissal is, i think, golden to most faculty. i hope your personal statment reflects what a turn around that is, how teaching has indelibly changed your situation to the core, and so on. law school costs less than a house, less than raising kids, and less that the cars we buy over a lifetime - keep the 'debt scares' in perspective - its just a kind of echolalia that gets going on message boards.

none of us can count on getting in during any given cycle - but i think too many get distracted with jumping up lsat scores and waiting (maybe only needed if 10k in scholarships is going to really make or break lol). i'd much rather pay the $75, let the faculty decide for themselves, and if nothing pans then just re-work the lsat for next year. if you do get the nod, be ready for whirlwind rush to get set and rest assured you will have many, many colleagues excited to welcome you back :D

i think its awesome what you have done, and you will have the benefit of going back in with your eyes wide open. congrats on your impeccable master's degree and teaching contributions - you have already achieved so much!

edited: PS i sooo hestitate to relate this, but its true, so i will: the school is just not that pivotal for 90% of us ... the top lawyer in all of michigan last year went to cooley. he's principled, intelligent, and very, very successful.
Last edited by chalyse on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JSlovesBM

Postby JSlovesBM » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm

I am in a similar situation. My lsat was a 156. I had a undergrad gpa 3.0 in history and minor in american studies. I had a 2.5 and needed a 2.8 to continue to my second year. However, there were some personal cirxumstances that affected my grades. I applied for the school to reinstate me and I was approved but chose not to go back. According to my transcript it was I was dismissed, reinstated and then chose to withdrawl. I'm now looking to go back part time.

Since then, roughly 5 years I have been working in sales and have been a volunteer athletic coach for a local township.

Do I even have a chance of getting in to another school?

chalyse

Postby chalyse » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:00 pm

ohmygosh yes js ... yes yes yes ... all students who have 5+ years after a stumble, who turn it around, who pick up other attributes in the meantime - those all have strong impact with faculty (it is a constellation of time/factors that are considered to be ones that pretty much wipes the slate clean). they know how valuable it is to have students who tackle their challenges come back to school.

if somehow you dont get back in this cycle, consider taking additional coursework (the only part of the 'constellation' missing from what you've reported), that would quiet any questions they might have about your committment and follow through when an offer is extended (that can hold a faculty back when deciding between apps), and/or let them know clearly that your declining the approval to continue was based on wise choices to turn things around before returning. yes yes yes :D

tortfeasor

Postby tortfeasor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:19 pm

I know this thread has been silent for about a year but here's my related question:

I had to take a medical leave my first semester, came back part time second semester and now that I am back full time I am thinking of leaving this school for good and reapplying/applying for the first time to schools closer to home for a fresh start and b/c I am still having a medical problem that could be solved by leaving, getting physical therapy, and coming back for good FA10. I'm worried if I stay I'm going to get academically dismissed or not do well enough to transfer b/c I'm stuck between physical therapy and school and have 1L and 2L courses. If I leave now I will only have 3 mediocre grades to show for it but will not be able to get a letter of good standing from my school. I also won't have enough credits to be considered a transfer student though so I'm not sure that not having a letter of good standing will matter when I also had to take a medical leave for physical therapy. My LSAT and undergrad GPA got me into 2 of the schools I want to reapply to (one with a scholarship) and then a 3rd school that I had never applied to and I seem competitive for with regards to LSAT/undergrad GPA. I've decided that I want to do public interest law and really think that CUNY (the school I never applied to) would be best for me.

Any advice on how this will look?

I really don't know where to find out this information.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Teach. Working 9 months a year is tcr.

bifocus

Postby bifocus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm

I know this post is a little old, but if someone could possibly give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I was recently dismissed from a pretty crappy law school (second to lowest 9 month employment rate of all ABA schools 60%). I did fine my first semester, but my grades my second semester were bad enough to cause me to be dismissed. I qualified for probation, but was denied, probably because the faculty and staff became aware I wasn't happy there and planed to transfer. They take transferring desires very personally. So I can't rely on any of them helping me, even though one did offered to.

I plan on applying to another school as soon as the two year waiting provision is up. The reason I was at this school in the first place was because of a low LSAT (147- bad I know). My plan is to up my LSAT by 10 points and apply to a 4th tier school. I hope to be working as a paralegal in the mean time, if possible.

Is my plan enough or should I be doing more? I looked into getting my masters in social work (I want to work in public interest law), but the additional loans terrify me. Plus its a full two year program anyway and the deadline was month ago.

Thanks in advance

listerine

Postby listerine » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 pm

What happened? Did you get in?

dmfjlaw

Postby dmfjlaw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Wow. It's been so long since I last posted here.

Well, I applied to 12 schools. Got into 5, rejected by 7. Of course, the schools I got into were very far away from home.

I actually re-took the LSAT, did better, and am applying locally. If I get in to a part-time program, I am keeping my job and going to law school at night nearby (within a 1 hour drive).

We'll see how it goes!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

dmfjlaw wrote:I know a lot of lawyers who went to a variety of those schools and doing just fine...

lol

TLS is one huge meme.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Masters GPA is a joke. Inflated to hell.

If I were you I would either stay at the teaching job or at least retake. Waiting a year or two will only help you as the economy can't get much worse at this point and it seems likely that hiring will improve at least gradually over the future.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 pm

dmfjlaw wrote:Wow. It's been so long since I last posted here.

Well, I applied to 12 schools. Got into 5, rejected by 7. Of course, the schools I got into were very far away from home.

I actually re-took the LSAT, did better, and am applying locally. If I get in to a part-time program, I am keeping my job and going to law school at night nearby (within a 1 hour drive).

We'll see how it goes!

I think not enrolling in any of those schools on your list from 2 years ago was a very good life decision.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 pm

How sad that someone who failed out of law school ended up teaching our nation's kids. Its really things like this that make me frightened both for our future as a country and, now that you are a re-applicant, as a profession.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Veyron wrote:How sad that someone who failed out of law school ended up teaching our nation's kids. Its really things like this that make me frightened both for our future as a country and, now that you are a re-applicant, as a profession.

Ability to succeed in law school =/= competency as a teacher

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:57 pm

mettasutta wrote:
Veyron wrote:How sad that someone who failed out of law school ended up teaching our nation's kids. Its really things like this that make me frightened both for our future as a country and, now that you are a re-applicant, as a profession.

+1

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 am

FiveSermon wrote:
mettasutta wrote:

+1

agree whole heartly

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 am

You should change the constitution to make this impossible.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 am

mettasutta wrote:

Lol.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:12 am

OP was 20 years old at the time. Believe it or not, lots of very successful, intelligent, creative people screwed up some in their late teens and early twenties. Chill out.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:

OP was 20 years old at the time. Believe it or not, lots of very successful, intelligent, creative people screwed up some in their late teens and early twenties. Chill out.

If you'd seen the kinds of things that I've seen buddy, you would be pretty freaked out yourself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”