K-JD - is it worth it to reapply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nimbalo

New

K-JD - is it worth it to reapply?

Post by Nimbalo » Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm

A little about me,

I'm K-JD, URM AA, 166-168 LSAT, GPA 3.7-3.8

I'm considering reapplying, as I'm sitting on the waitlists of 10 of the T14. I think being a K-JD, and applying a bit late hurt my application cycle (I applied in Jan with the Dec LSAT). I still have a couple of school options that I could consider, but from lurking on the boards, it seems that I underperformed. I'm considering retaking for 170+ and applying next year. I think this cycle really hit K-JDs hard (again, just from reading on TLS).. however, even if I submit my apps at the beginning of the cycle next year, wouldn't I *technically* still have the K-JD disadvantage considering I will just have finished up school a few months prior? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel to overcome the K-JD disadvantage you should be out of school for a couple of years so that you can have significant work experience to list on your resume. No doubt if I reapplied next cycle I would find a job to keep me busy for the next year, but I would only have been in the job for a couple of months by the time applications come around, so I don't think it would contribute immensely to my application.

Is it worth it to take another shot at applying next cycle?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Re: K-JD - is it worth it to reapply?

Post by Bearlyalive » Thu May 12, 2016 9:43 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=263904

But seriously, yes. Retake if that's even remotely possible, it can't hurt you. With your numbers (assuming no C&F) + URM, you should have had a much better cycle. I don't know how much the K-JD factor hurt (except maybe for HYS and maybe some t-14 named scholarships), but you shouldn't be settling for waitlists and t14s at sticker.

usernotfound

Bronze

Post by usernotfound » Thu May 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Definitely looks like you underperformed your numbers. Applying late can hurt too, a lot if it's really late in the cycle. It's not bad to get a year of work experience, and it breaks up the 7 straight years of school. If it was me I would wait a year and reapply early as possible.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Fri May 13, 2016 11:59 am

Nimbalo wrote:A little about me,

I'm K-JD, URM AA, 166-168 LSAT, GPA 3.7-3.8

I'm considering reapplying, as I'm sitting on the waitlists of 10 of the T14. I think being a K-JD, and applying a bit late hurt my application cycle (I applied in Jan with the Dec LSAT). I still have a couple of school options that I could consider, but from lurking on the boards, it seems that I underperformed. I'm considering retaking for 170+ and applying next year. I think this cycle really hit K-JDs hard (again, just from reading on TLS).. however, even if I submit my apps at the beginning of the cycle next year, wouldn't I *technically* still have the K-JD disadvantage considering I will just have finished up school a few months prior? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel to overcome the K-JD disadvantage you should be out of school for a couple of years so that you can have significant work experience to list on your resume. No doubt if I reapplied next cycle I would find a job to keep me busy for the next year, but I would only have been in the job for a couple of months by the time applications come around, so I don't think it would contribute immensely to my application.

Is it worth it to take another shot at applying next cycle?
Don't forget that although admissions officers may not be able to give full weight to whatever you do w/ your time off (because, as you mentioned, they'll be reading your application less than half a year from now), future employers will, and that should count for something.

And actually, I wouldn't be shocked if admissions officers in evaluating your WE consider how will it look to employers. In that case, yeah, they may give you credit for having worked a full year, even if you've only been working for a few months when you submit your apps.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Fri May 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Did you kill a man? I'm an AA k-jd as well with a higher LSAT and much much worse GPA and in had a really good cycle granted I applied in November. Look over the other parts of your app ...k-jd or not I would have expected at Harvard or Stanford with your numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm

January is late, especially with a 168.

Retake, reapply, go for free.

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 pm

AA k-jd with lower gpa and lsat. Also applied in January. Got into Chicago, UVA and NW. Waitlisted at 5 other t14s. You should definitely re apply and maybe take a harder look at your personal and diversity statements.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”