Very upset.. deferred by NYLS..High GPA low LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gatorade

Re: Very upset.. deferred by NYLS..High GPA low LSAT

Postby Gatorade » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Pls take testmasters. Do ALL the homeworks they give u, I am sure u are not a slacker, so u will not have problem there. And I see NO WAY u can score lower than a 155, after taking testmasters and do all their homeworks, it just becomes mechanical after that. I mean, when u do problems, u do not have to think, the answers pop right out to ya. now 165 and beyond, i believe that does take some brains.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Also, if that's where you want to go, get on those LOCI's soon. That might do you more good than studying for the LSAT again.

emerald

Postby emerald » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Contrary to what some may suggest, it can sometimes take more than positive thinking to get that 180.

Who said anything about a 180? All he needs is a five to seven point increase.

Listen, if you have a learning disability, you should obviously get it checked out. The point is that if you don't, and you are a smart person, you can improve your score. A positive attitude = better, more concentrated studying and usually a great deal more of it. I am not saying you can "pray" yourself to a better score. Start thinking positively, and I think you will get on the right track to studying and improving. Don't think positively, and it falls apart, unless you are just a frickin brilliant LSAT taker.

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:58 pm

The important point here is that the OP can't go to NYLS and have a decent shot of getting a fair return on that investment. So, OP, you have two choices:

1) Get a decent LSAT score, by hook or by crook

2) Do not go to law school

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:03 pm

:shock:
Last edited by RATRATRAT on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome POSSUM

Postby Awesome POSSUM » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:55 pm

There's a lot of truth to this. Read the secret if you don't believe me. LULZ!

But seriously. Mind over matter. There is no spoon.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:24 am

Last edited by RATRATRAT on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome POSSUM

Postby Awesome POSSUM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:53 am

I add value by inducing massive LULz!

Wheeeeee!

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 am

Last edited by RATRATRAT on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OFFMason

Postby OFFMason » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:33 pm

MTal wrote:offmason...this is getting ridiculous.

Offmason? I didn't get anything from NYLS. I'm not the OP you moron, get off my balls.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:47 pm

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:56 pm

eve2490 wrote:
VB13 wrote:well like i said before.. im not good at taking standardized tests... I've done everything.. I've studied, I took a prep course, and I prayed. Nothing really helps. I either can't concentrate and keep a fresh mind for 5 hours or I'm just a slow test taker (I usually finish last on regular exams because I'm insecure :P ) A friend of mine who has no interest in Law took the LSAT for shits and giggles and got a 168.. Its gotta built into you I guess.

I like to take my sweet ass time to do the work and think things through. I know it'll bite me in the ass sooner or later but on the flipside... as a lawyer you also have to give your ideas some thought before they come out of your mouth. I cant tell you how many times I've been to court as a Pretrial Intern and heard the most idiotic things come out of lawyers. Example: at a sentencing hearing, the felon's lawyer says "Your honor, you have to consider the fact that my client was 12 months pregnant at the time she committed the crime". Or this one: "Your honor, I've worked with many families with autistic children. These children may not be removed from their sole parent for a prolonged period of time..." Judge answers: "Counsler, I have worked with solely with autistic children for 30 years. Do not lecture me on autistic children sir. You are not a qualified expert." The lawyer stood there like an idiot.

I just wanted to post because I do feel your pain. I have a 3.99, took a Kaplan and Princeton Review practice test a long time ago, scored about 153 on both. After going through the Powerscore Bibles (which really do help you make sense of it all), time was not very much on my side and I do understand that it can be hard to maintain a positive attitude on the test. I do not know the extent of your studying and whether you have taken a lot of timed practice tests but perhaps you haven't fully actualized your potential yet. Studying is tedious and I hate it and I feel "stuck" in the 160-165 range right now (at best) and the last thing I want to do is take this thing twice lol. I do believe that aside from the test, you have great experiences and you have earned wonderful grades. If law is really your one passion, you deserve to go to a great school and I hope that this test won't be the one reason that you won't do that. If you need to (and if you hopefully aren't working or going to school full time), take a few months to really improve your score because MANY people have been able to improve significantly with appropriate techniques and skill training. There are so many posts here that describe great "4 month plans" and whatnot from high scoring test takers. [Ideally,] you only go to graduate school once so do it right! Don't sacrifice your ability to get into an awesome school that will give you a great education (and be a better investment) because of a darn test score

I think you're a little late.

Destined

Postby Destined » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:58 pm

its the LSAT singular....sorry just a pet peeve of mine, carry on..

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 pm

eve2490 wrote:
VB13 wrote:well like i said before.. im not good at taking standardized tests... I've done everything.. I've studied, I took a prep course, and I prayed. Nothing really helps. I either can't concentrate and keep a fresh mind for 5 hours or I'm just a slow test taker (I usually finish last on regular exams because I'm insecure :P ) A friend of mine who has no interest in Law took the LSAT for shits and giggles and got a 168.. Its gotta built into you I guess.

I like to take my sweet ass time to do the work and think things through. I know it'll bite me in the ass sooner or later but on the flipside... as a lawyer you also have to give your ideas some thought before they come out of your mouth. I cant tell you how many times I've been to court as a Pretrial Intern and heard the most idiotic things come out of lawyers. Example: at a sentencing hearing, the felon's lawyer says "Your honor, you have to consider the fact that my client was 12 months pregnant at the time she committed the crime". Or this one: "Your honor, I've worked with many families with autistic children. These children may not be removed from their sole parent for a prolonged period of time..." Judge answers: "Counsler, I have worked with solely with autistic children for 30 years. Do not lecture me on autistic children sir. You are not a qualified expert." The lawyer stood there like an idiot.

I just wanted to post because I do feel your pain. I have a 3.99, took a Kaplan and Princeton Review practice test a long time ago, scored about 153 on both. After going through the Powerscore Bibles (which really do help you make sense of it all), time was not very much on my side and I do understand that it can be hard to maintain a positive attitude on the test. I do not know the extent of your studying and whether you have taken a lot of timed practice tests but perhaps you haven't fully actualized your potential yet. Studying is tedious and I hate it and I feel "stuck" in the 160-165 range right now (at best) and the last thing I want to do is take this thing twice lol. I do believe that aside from the test, you have great experiences and you have earned wonderful grades. If law is really your one passion, you deserve to go to a great school and I hope that this test won't be the one reason that you won't do that. If you need to (and if you hopefully aren't working or going to school full time), take a few months to really improve your score because MANY people have been able to improve significantly with appropriate techniques and skill training. There are so many posts here that describe great "4 month plans" and whatnot from high scoring test takers. [Ideally,] you only go to graduate school once so do it right! Don't sacrifice your ability to get into an awesome school that will give you a great education (and be a better investment) because of a darn test score

You do realize you're posting in a two year old thread, right?

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Didn't read the second page at all, but one thing I didn't see anyone mention to OP is the fact that law school exams are timed. If OP likes to take his/her "sweet ass time" to do exams, perhaps the lsat is a good indicator of your law school performance. Sure the practice of law doesn't have four hour time constraints, but law school exams do; if your issue is only that you can't take a timed exam, you will have problems in law school.

Also, great grave digging.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”