Waiting a Cycle after Strong Feb LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itsaburnerguys

New

Waiting a Cycle after Strong Feb LSAT

Post by itsaburnerguys » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Looking for some advice/wanting to bounce my thinking off someone else...

I've been accepted into the only two T14s I'm considering attending and was admitted to both back in November with a "decent" LSAT score. I got my scholarship package from each in early February, but then received a much better LSAT score from the February test (in the 99th percentile, above all T14 medians, etc.)

Here's the problem--I'm getting resistance to negotiation (presumably because scholarship money has been given out), and I can't help but feel like I'm now "undervalued" in terms of scholarships as opposed to someone with my numbers who applied in October and had those numbers on file when scholarships were decided.

Do I just hold out and tell schools that I'd like a better scholarship package or I will have to reapply next year? How long should I expect this process to drag out? As you can imagine, I'd like to start school next fall, and have my choice solidified as soon as possible. But since I'm planning to go for PI, I absolutely have to get the best scholarship package possible, even if that means waiting a year.

Any advice/other things I should be considering?

Thanks!

mist4bison

Gold

Re: Waiting a Cycle after Strong Feb LSAT

Post by mist4bison » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm

How many points did you jump between scores? By "resistance," do you mean schools basically said "sorry, we don't negotiate?"

itsaburnerguys

New

Post by itsaburnerguys » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Intentionally trying to be vague because I'm paranoid--but approximately 5 points, going from at or just above median to well above75th. One school told me that it was difficult/unlikely to give more $ at this stage in the cycle.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:27 pm

How much do you think your scholarship might increase next year?
Is it enough that you're willing to roll the dice on it possibly being lower and/or the same?

Keep in mind that cycle data indicates that test takers and high scorers seem to be increasing meaning that competition for the same spot and the same money next year may well be tougher and by choosing to wait a year and reapply, you may place yourself in a worse position.

Is the possible gain enough for you to take that risk? Totally up to you to decide.

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 pm

itsaburnerguys wrote:Intentionally trying to be vague because I'm paranoid--but approximately 5 points, going from at or just above median to well above75th. One school told me that it was difficult/unlikely to give more $ at this stage in the cycle.
Just asking because it's helpful in determining what you should get. I'd say 5 points would get you a pretty big increase from a number of schools. Personally, I'd wait and reapply if schools weren't budging on numbers, but it's ultimately up to you.

I'd look at lawschoolnumbers. Go to the schools you're considering, look at applicants, and determine what is right for your set of numbers based on what others have received.

ETA: for example, at Cornell a 173 (3.61 GPA) could get you about 90k and a 178 (similar GPA) could get you 165k.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:11 pm

itsaburnerguys wrote:Looking for some advice/wanting to bounce my thinking off someone else...

I've been accepted into the only two T14s I'm considering attending and was admitted to both back in November with a "decent" LSAT score. I got my scholarship package from each in early February, but then received a much better LSAT score from the February test (in the 99th percentile, above all T14 medians, etc.)

Here's the problem--I'm getting resistance to negotiation (presumably because scholarship money has been given out), and I can't help but feel like I'm now "undervalued" in terms of scholarships as opposed to someone with my numbers who applied in October and had those numbers on file when scholarships were decided.

Do I just hold out and tell schools that I'd like a better scholarship package or I will have to reapply next year? How long should I expect this process to drag out? As you can imagine, I'd like to start school next fall, and have my choice solidified as soon as possible. But since I'm planning to go for PI, I absolutely have to get the best scholarship package possible, even if that means waiting a year.

Any advice/other things I should be considering?

Thanks!
If you're a splitter, I would say it's not going to matter enough to wait. If you're above both medians, you may have pushed yourself from "some money" territory to "full ride" territory and should probably wait. That's the best I can do with limited info.

Cloture

New

Post by Cloture » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:20 pm

benwyatt wrote:Keep in mind that cycle data indicates that test takers and high scorers seem to be increasing meaning that competition for the same spot and the same money next year may well be tougher and by choosing to wait a year and reapply, you may place yourself in a worse position.
Though there also some, namely Spivey, who actually think score increases this year may be indicative of weaker scores next cycle right?

But really, you're absolutely right, it's a personal risk/reward assessment.

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/predic ... ons-cycle/

itsaburnerguys

New

Post by itsaburnerguys » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:37 pm

mist4bison wrote:I'd look at lawschoolnumbers. Go to the schools you're considering, look at applicants, and determine what is right for your set of numbers based on what others have received.

ETA: for example, at Cornell a 173 (3.61 GPA) could get you about 90k and a 178 (similar GPA) could get you 165k.
Oh yeah, I should've mentioned this. I looked at MyLSN using last cycle's data, and at School A I'm apparently $28k under and at School B it's $26K. Per your suggestion I looked at this year's LSN and the results were similar, though there were also a few people getting full rides with my numbers. Again given my plans for PI, this is already enough of a difference to have me considering that it's better to wait. Also, I'm not a splitter so I have that going for me.
Cloture wrote:
benwyatt wrote:Keep in mind that cycle data indicates that test takers and high scorers seem to be increasing meaning that competition for the same spot and the same money next year may well be tougher and by choosing to wait a year and reapply, you may place yourself in a worse position.
Though there also some, namely Spivey, who actually think score increases this year may be indicative of weaker scores next cycle right?

But really, you're absolutely right, it's a personal risk/reward assessment.

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/predic ... ons-cycle/
Thanks for both of these perspectives as well. It's encouraging to think that next year may be better for me (Spivey's opinion). But yes, I'm definitely concerned about being put in a "worse position," especially given that there are really only two schools I will consider attending (for family reasons I need to be in a particular geographical area). While I know I'm unlikely to "offend" schools by withdrawing and waiting a cycle, I'm definitely concerned that even if they admit me, they'll be less inclined to throw $$$ my way next cycle, and this seems more likely when dealing with just two schools than if I was casting a wider net in the T14.

I'm still really hoping that schools will negotiate with me later in the cycle, maybe after deposit deadlines, even though that's not ideal. Any insight into the likelihood of that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”