Deposit Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tezzeret

Bronze

Deposit Question

Post by tezzeret » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Hello all, so here's the story I have one school that I am interested in attending but I am on the waitlist for 2 schools I'd much rather attend. However the deposit deadline for said school is April 15th, and you are only eligible for a refund (value decreases over time) for a certain amount of time, but obviously I don't know how long If I will be on the WL's/if I'd ever come off. So I don't know if I should consider the deposit, even though there is a chance I might lose the money, or forgo the deposit and just bank on the WL's. To complicate things even further, there is no telling what the financial situation might like look for the Wait list schools, but they are much much better than the school I am considering, but the amount of variables puts me between a rock and a hard place. Thoughts?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Deposit Question

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:56 pm

tezzeret wrote: Thoughts?
Just deposit if you are comfortable attending that school. Assume you wont get the deposit back. (Pro tip: if you attend the school at which you deposited, it gets credited toward your tuition payments...generally). If you dont deposit, and dont get off a WL, you wont be going to law school this year.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:49 pm

You're basically buying insurance by depositing. The deposit amount is your premium.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:59 pm

I'll be paying a $400 deposit that I have a chance of losing if I get off the WL at my top school. You just have to come to terms with the chance of losing a couple hundred bucks

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:01 pm

I'd send the deposit, compared to the cost of law school $400 is a pretty minor thing.

You could try asking the school with the 4/15 deadline for an extension but they probably won't grant it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”