How will my current position at work/ type of job I have affect my application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
corgiterrier17

New

How will my current position at work/ type of job I have affect my application?

Post by corgiterrier17 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:31 am

Hi,

I am applying to HYS this fall but just wondering how my job would affect my chance...
My father runs a construction company, which is very small, and due to management crisis, he had to fire a lot of his employers.Because not that many people are working in his company, I have been helping him for more than a year after graduation. My main responsibilities are mostly administrative tasks, since I am not a construction engineer or have expertise in accounting... so basically I am like an assistant helping out basic office tasks.

What I am concerned is, would this hurt my chance at HYS? The fact that I am working for my father as an assistant after graduating college? I know softs are important for T3...

Thanks all!

87mm

Bronze

Re: How will my current position at work/ type of job I have affect my application?

Post by 87mm » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:03 am

If it's on your resume, is the company named something that would make them think its your fathers company? It wont hurt your chances in my opinion. Work is work. It may not necessarily help, but it wont hurt. You're doing office work so at the very least it isnt just "McDonalds" or "barista" (not knocking on baristas or anything though...).

When making your resume just make sure to write it in a way that sells your skills with organization, management, and teamwork.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Re: How will my current position at work/ type of job I have affect my application?

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Generally, working for a family-owned business will not necessarily hurt nor help a student’s chances when it comes to admissions. So long as a student uses their time productively, gains experience in whatever area is of interest, and can present that in a positive way in their resume it should not be an issue. If you would like to go into this area of law, based on your experience with your father’s company, you may include that in your personal statement, but it is not required.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”